Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Optical differences between Pentax "K", "M", and "A" lenses

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered before but it's hard to search for this. What is the optical difference between the "K", "M", and "A" series of Pentax lenses? It's hard to search for this because a lot of search engines turn off single character entries in the string.

I understand that the "A" lenses allow for the camera body to control aperture. My question is about the optics/glass.

Thanks!

06-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think most of the info you need is right here.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Anything that isn't is probably here.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
06-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The two main sources of information are the database on this site, here: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

And Bojidar Dimitrov's site here: Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

In some, even many, cases the optics are the same as the series changed. In other cases they changed quite a bit. You have to look at the individual lenses.

For example the 50mm f/1.4 in 'K' mount has 7 elements in 6 groups and a 52mm filter, the 'M' version 7 elements in 6 groups and a 49mm filter, the 'A' version 7 elements in 6 groups with 49mm filter.
06-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You beat me Boriscleto

06-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K often were same as the SMC takumars--although some increase in number of elements (e.g., 28mm f3.5) happened to tweak the performance. Size of the lens was not primary consideration.

With M lenses size was very important--many are reduced in number elements and filter size dropped from 52 to 49mm--as a result I believe it is fair to say most of us consider the M lenses to be weaker than their K counterparts. BTW the K lens is not an official name for them.

Some of the A lenses carried over the M formulas--although also a number of faster (larger) lenses were added. For some of the very wide angle lenses (>/= 20mm), and the zooms, the latter formulations are better--although that is debatable for certain lenses (e.g., the 15mm f3.5). Anyway for primes usually the K are considered better, then A, then M (but again there are exceptions--e.g., the 50mm f1.4 is I believe reputed to be better with the A/FA) .
06-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I might be completeley wrong but from what I´ve read, it seems the A series is where Pentax redesigned most of (or took the best of) the lenses and also improved the coatings. From there onwards there was little improvement, leaving aside newer desings that incorportate ED elements, Internal Focusing (IF) and aspherical lens (AL)
06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said, but I can confirm from direct experience that the A50 f1.4 is a little bit better at larger apertures than the M50 f1.4 (which is still a lovely lens - especially mechanically) - at least in my copies (and the M is mint).

I also have the K28 f3.5 and its the best 28mm I have (for lack of distortion and general sharpness across the frame).

06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW your question should ideally be answered with more detail--was it resolution (center and corner), or comma, or distortion, chromatic aberrations, curvature of field, etc. But this level depends on each lens--and testing is generally not available and/or may not be valid. In my case I tend to pick individuals that have used/tested lots of Pentax lenses and whose comments on a few lenses seems to make sense/are consistent with my likes/dislikes--and then I go with their comments on all the other lenses. Not very scientific--but not much else to go by.

But (for example) an additional element may/should reduce some of the lanes aberrations--but may not improve center resolution, and likely will make flare a bit worse. So what is "better performance?" And certainly (IMO) size is part of performance--a lens that feels right will make us do a bit better.
06-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered before but it's hard to search for this. What is the optical difference between the "K", "M", and "A" series of Pentax lenses? It's hard to search for this because a lot of search engines turn off single character entries in the string.

I understand that the "A" lenses allow for the camera body to control aperture. My question is about the optics/glass.

Thanks!
I have the K and M versions of the 50/1.4 and 28/3.5 - I have a general, non-scientific sense that the K versions are slightly superior, but frankly I think the difference is so small that you can ignore it for practical purposes. I have the K105/2.8 and the M100/2.8 - in this case I prefer the M lens, particularly wide open. Again, the difference is minor. I have been extremely happy with all of them. The compactness/lightness advantage of the M series is a real consideration.
06-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K series lenses were designed to be used with the higher tier pentax bodies - the M series were designed to be more compact, better suited to smaller cameras like the MX and ME super, the A series was a bit of a return to the K series Ideal of providing wider apertures. The lens that changed the most through the K>M>A Generations would be the SMC-K 28mm f/2 "hollywood" lens. Many K mount lenses were reiterated and improved with the A series, with improved coatings and the added coupling for aperture control - but also a manual aperture ring that allowed for full manual control on older camera bodies.
06-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I might be completeley wrong but from what I´ve read, it seems the A series is where Pentax redesigned most of (or took the best of) the lenses and also improved the coatings. From there onwards there was little improvement, leaving aside newer desings that incorportate ED elements, Internal Focusing (IF) and aspherical lens (AL)
I have A-50/1.4 and FA-50/1.4 and from my visual inspection both have identical optics.
06-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I have A-50/1.4 and FA-50/1.4 and from my visual inspection both have identical optics.
And I remember reading that the A version has new coatings compared to M version and some of the elements where redesigned.
06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the K series lenses were designed to be used with the higher tier pentax bodies - the M series were designed to be more compact, better suited to smaller cameras like the MX and ME super,
The M series was also marketed as the line
for use on the LX professional body,
except for special cases like the 24/2.8, 30/2.8 and 50/1.2
which needed a 52mm filter size rather than the standard 49mm of the M series.
(Strangely enough, the 200/4 and 400/5.6, which also took bigger filters,
were nevertheless designated as M lenses.)
06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Some of the A lenses carried over the M formulas.
The M28/2.8 is like that, but in some other cases,
like the 24/2.8 and 50/1.2,
the A lenses took the K lens formula
(although the coatings have been said to be improved),
and there never was an M version with those focal length/aperture combinations.

For some of the very wide angle lenses (>/= 20mm), . . . the latter formulations are better--although that is debatable for certain lenses (e.g., the 15mm f3.5).
I own, and use, three 20's
(it's a favorite walk-around focal length for me):
the S-T 20/4.5, the M20/4, and the A20/2.8.
Each has its own strengths and weaknesses,
although technically the A20/2.8 is indeed better
(same formula as the FA 20/2.8).

Anyway for primes usually the K are considered better, then A
For the 24/2.8, where the K and A share the same formula,
the coatings in the A seem to be an improvement.
For the 50/1.2, the same seems to be true,
although some users do prefer the K to the A.

then M (but again there are exceptions--e.g., the 50mm f1.4 is I believe reputed to be better with the A/FA) .
Since I do a lot of shooting at infinity,
I've found the M, with its flatter cemented join,
to give excellent performance.
Other users, who work more at short range,
prefer the K or A formulas with more curvature at that join.
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

With M lenses size was very important-- . . . --as a result I believe it is fair to say most of us consider the M lenses to be weaker than their K counterparts.
I don't look at it that way.

To me, the philosophy of size reduction that drove the design of the M line
is the same philosophy, engrained deep in the Pentax DNA,
that later led to the Limited lenses in the FA and DA series.