03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is the only Limited lens I have and it is my favourite at the moment,

03-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Count me among the FA77 worshipers. I bought one from that Canadian seller on ebay for US$570. Came in nothing but a padded envelope (!) but no harm done.
Ah yes, we know that seller!

To the OP: buy the lens and the cheaper body. Good lenses preserve their value; bodies do not. The K20D will only come down in price. There is a chance the FA limiteds might even go up should supplies become shorter.
03-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The FA 77 is a good lens with nice bokeh. Be careful though because it can exhibit very nasty purple fringing in high contrast lighting when used wide open. I will never again use this lens for night photography and for shooting performances in artificial light after having had many shots ruined by this pesky purple fringing. Yes, I know, it can be removed in post processing, but I don't like to digitally beautify my pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The FA 77 is a good lens with nice bokeh. Be careful though because it can exhibit very nasty purple fringing in high contrast lighting when used wide open.
Several of the otherwise amazing Pentax lenses exhibit this characteristic. In fact, it may be difficult to design a lens with all the other tolerances that is not a bit weak in CA. At least I assume this from the physics involved. It is one of the easier post-production fixes, and I see this as less effort than would have been made in development in the "good old" days.

03-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics LittleSwans.
They show exactly why I love the 77: where it's sharp it's beautifully sharp, where not sharp it's wonderful bokeh. Just can't lose

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote

03-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Ask Andy Caer:

03-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote

I too have this lens and is my only limited so far. Like the othe posters, I like this lens a lot and its capability. I do use it wide-opened a lot, so I have not run into any purple fringing yet; thanks for the tips.

Thanks, Littleswan for showing these nice pictures (I like them all) captured with this lens.

I also agree with the other poster; get the K10D and the 77mm now since I can always wait to get a slightly used K20D 8-12 months from now at a much attractive price point.
03-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Thanks guys! 3 of the photos that I posted were shot at f/1.8 - #2 (eyes), #3 (toy), #5 (B&W - picking grass). The purple fringing doesn't bother me too much because the overall value of this lens far outweighs this con!