Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Pentax 77mm f/1.8 Limited

I'm very interested in the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 Limited. Has anyone here used this lens? Is it worth $670? Could you upload some pictures taken with the 77mm please? Thanks.

03-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here's one I took yesterday about an hour after buying the lens

http://nostatic.com/photos/twist-full.jpg - full size (crop)

The lens is old-school build quality and aesthetic. It doesn't have quick shift focus which could be an issue. I've run into a couple of times where I wanted it, and instead had to switch to manual focus on the body. Just depends how you like to work. I'm not averse to going without manual focus some of the time anyway...

Last edited by nostatic; 03-16-2008 at 01:10 PM.
03-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

a few more. Cropped, only b&w has any pp. Very low light conditions, never a flash.

03-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IMO, if its a limited, chances are its worth the money.

03-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nostatic's pictures say it all: Beautiful and smooth color rendition, beautiful bokeh!

It is not a lens for shooting fast action photos. With its all-metal lens barrel construction its autofocus is somewhat slow. This lens is for situations where time doesn't matter and image quality is your number 1 objective.
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This lens makes me want to take back the 50-135* and 16-45 zooms and just shoot limited primes. While the 50-135* is a great lens, there is a difference in the vibe. It is like butter (ltd) vs. margarine (zoom...albeit very good margarine).

But there is no free lunch. While doing a walkabout to Peets this AM, there were a couple of times that I couldn't really capture what I "saw". I needed something longer or shorter. that is the beauty of a really good zoom.

Luckily for me I have the luxury of shooting what I want, so missing something isn't the end of the world. There's always another shot around the corner. Instead I just work with the lens that is on the camera and try to see the world that way. At that point it becomes more psychology than photography.

But in short, it just depends what is important to you. The 77 is a throwback to another era. Yes, it will autofocus, but that isn't a strength. In low light you're better off running manual. It isn't particularly light, but it does balance well with the body and is much lighter than the * zooms. If you're looking for flexibility and action work, this probably isn't it. If you're looking for images that make you want to weep and are willing to work for them, it is the lens for you.

Last edited by nostatic; 03-16-2008 at 01:11 PM.
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
here's one I took yesterday about an hour after buying the lens

http://nostatic.com/photos/twist-full.jpg - full size (crop)

The lens is old-school build quality and aesthetic. It doesn't have quick shift focus which could be an issue. I've run into a couple of times where I wanted it, and instead had to switch to manual focus on the body. Just depends how you like to work. I'm not averse to going without manual focus some of the time anyway...
Your photography is beautiful. I love your framing. Very creative.

Ben

03-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben, high praise indeed. Your stuff is amazing, and I try to learn aspects of shooting people from your work (something I struggle with). Plus I aspire to have my work blown up to 20' wide
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
VPT

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your advices. I think I want one. At this time, I can only afford either a K20D or a K10D with a 77mm. What do you think? Should I buy the K20D first or the K10D with the 77mm limited?
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

how flexible is your budget, and what are your needs in a body?

I originally was going to do a "budget" upgrade from my D70 with 18-70/105micro/12-24 setup. I was originally thinking D300 but didn't want to spend the money, so a D80 was looking attractive. Then I "discovered" Pentax and picked up a K10d. I sold the Nikon glass and with the Pentax I went through a couple of lens tries but I was getting better images (for me) with my Leica p&s. I fully blame myself, but it was what it was. I ended up taking the K10d back for store credit and pondered my next move.

I then upped my budget to "do it right" and the K20d became available. I tried the E3, D300 and K20d back to back to back, and decided that there was just something about Pentax that resonated with me. It didn't hurt that it was $400/500 less than the other two. I got a 16-45 zoom, then 50-135*, then the 77, now a 31 is on its way.

This is the long way of saying that it is a slippery slope. If you've got the cash, it isn't a big deal. The K10d is a great bargain, and if it does what you need it to do, then I would say pick it up and spend the money you saved on great glass. *But*, if you will have a nagging feeling of "what if" or if there are capabilities that you really want/need (for me, the extra resolution helps as I like to crop and print big, and live view might come in handy for macro), then you're better off sucking it up and buying what you really want. I have lost track of how many times I've cheaped out getting something that was "good enough" only to later sell it at a loss and buy what I really wanted.

I have a handful of passions. And I take them seriously, and want to use the best tools that I can afford and think I will make good use of. But I also buy stuff that I'll actually use. If I move on to something else, out it goes. I hate to have my tools and/or toys sitting around gathering dust.
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
VPT

Original Poster
I shot mainly with Nikon D300 and Nikon D40x since I have a ton of Nikon lenses.

Besides Nikon. I usually have another DSLR system. I just sold all my Sony/Minolta system and bought a Samsung GX-1L because I wanted to try my old SMC A and M42 lenses on a digital camera. Now I want to upgrade the Samsung. I'm not gonna use the Pentax a lot, so I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ for the new K20D. However, I've heard that the new K20D is much better than the K10D in term of image quality.
03-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How many SMC A lenses do you have? Cause the M42 can be adapter for the Nikon. And if you're determined to get a Pentax body, then i would suggest to go with a K10D and the 77. The K20D is better than the K10D, but definitely not twice performance (the price is twice expensive). Personally, I would value lens more than body, since body can come and go, but lenses are for keepsake.
03-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
VPT

Original Poster
M42 lenses can't be used with Nikon unless you used an adapter that has corrective elements. I have about a dozen Pentax lenses but I still want some limited lenses. I think the K10D will be fine for me. Thanks for your suggestions.
03-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Fa 77 ltd is my favorite lens. My very first pentax lens that I owned! Almost like the beginning chapter of pentax LBA.

Too many shots to post in fact.

03-18-2008, 04:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Count me among the FA77 worshipers. I bought one from that Canadian seller on ebay for US$570. Came in nothing but a padded envelope (!) but no harm done.