Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

what does WR stand for? Was the kit lens that came with my K100D a WR?

06-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
what does WR stand for? Was the kit lens that came with my K100D a WR?
"Weather-resistant," and, no, only the newest kit lenses are WR. They cost about twice as much used as the regular 18-55's.

Edit: here are the different versions of the kit lens:

DA AL: The original. I believe this is the one you had.

DA AL II: Improved optical formula. All future kit lenses are optically identical to this one.

DA L AL: Same as DA AL II, but with a plastic mount and no distance markings on the focusing ring. This is the one that came with my K-r.

DA AL WR: Same as DA AL II, but with weather sealing.

DA L AL WR: Weather sealed, plastic mount. Not actually available yet, but it will ship with the new K-50.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 06-25-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added details.
06-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There's a sale at the liquor store?!

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Free beer TOMORROW.
06-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There's a sale at the liquor store?!

Steve
I lol.

06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
"Weather-resistant," and, no, only the newest kit lenses are WR. They cost about twice as much used as the regular 18-55's.

Edit: here are the different versions of the kit lens:

DA AL: The original. I believe this is the one you had.

DA AL II: Improved optical formula. All future kit lenses are optically identical to this one.

DA L AL: Same as DA AL II, but with a plastic mount and no distance markings on the focusing ring. This is the one that came with my K-r.

DA AL WR: Same as DA AL II, but with weather sealing.

DA L AL WR: Weather sealed, plastic mount. Not actually available yet, but it will ship with the new K-50.
Thanks for that info!!!! Very helpful.
06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ended up buying this:

Sigma AF 28 80mm F3 5 5 6 II Minizoom Macro for Pentax AF 085126644277 | eBay

Think it will do for now. Thanks for all the help!!
06-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Enjoy the lens!

Looks like a standard zoom for film, so out to the tele end on APS-C.
If you find you need wider as well,
there are other good lenses in the 10/12 to 20/24 zoom range
that would complement it well.

06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Paul, I think I was not clear enough that the problem is with my Smc Pentax 1:2.8 24mm
My kit lenses are fine and I don't need one of those.
Ya know, I keep forgetting that the quick reply copies the respective post as a quote* (it didn't used to...don't know if that is a setting that changed, but I never changed it!). So my comment wasn't directed at you, it just looked that way!

*intentionally quoted this time, promise!
06-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I have two, sitting in kit boxes in a closet,
that made my K-x cameras a few dollars cheaper
than they would have cost as bodies alone.
Same here, although bought with different cameras than the K-x.

To OP, if you are serious about this hobby, you should save up and get a good lens. You really should.

The kit lenses I've encountered in modern times (read: ever since the time when you bought a 35mm film camera, an you got a tack-sharp 50mm with it, back when dinosaurs walked the planet) make for worse optical lenses than does the bottom of a coke-bottle.....
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The thing with the kit lens is, I have two, but you don't get anything for selling them, so you may as well keep it , just incase. I gave one to my sister when I gave her my K20D and I have the white one that goes real good with the white K-x or K-01, so I can't sell that one. The other one.... if Henry's is selling them for $40 would they give me $5 for it? And the gas to drive there would cost how much? Better to just keep it. It makes a nice front plate on one of th cameras in my display cabinet.
06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Ya know, I keep forgetting that the quick reply copies the respective post as a quote
Ah! I always wondered about these people that quote somebody in a post which has nothing to do with the quoted material. I've never hit the "quick reply" button; I just start typing in the quick reply box which is always at the bottom of the page.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
worse optical lenses than does the bottom of a coke-bottle.....
Oooh, you've given me a very bad idea! I know you're talking hyperbole here, but is it actually possible?
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Oooh, you've given me a very bad idea! I know you're talking hyperbole here, but is it actually possible?
Hyperbole? Me? Never....

In serious, with photography through the bottom of a coke bottle, you can - at least - take pleasure from being ecologically friendly, or pleasure from having made a DIY lens, or claim a specific artistic interpretation as the intent of your shot.....so that beats the kit lenses in question on 3 fronts....
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Hyperbole? Me? Never....

In serious, with photography through the bottom of a coke bottle, you can - at least - take pleasure from being ecologically friendly, or pleasure from having made a DIY lens, or claim a specific artistic interpretation as the intent of your shot.....so that beats the kit lenses in question on 3 fronts....
That's assuming you actually can take pictures through a coke-bottle lens. Sorry, I was a little vague. I'm wondering if it's possible to tape the bottom of a bottle to a tube and use it as a lens. This morning, I got the notion of trying to make a sort of homemade Lensbaby with an optic from a worthless, fungus-ridden JCPenney lens. Then you come along and mention coke bottles...
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That's assuming you actually can take pictures through a coke-bottle lens. Sorry, I was a little vague. I'm wondering if it's possible to tape the bottom of a bottle to a tube and use it as a lens. This morning, I got the notion of trying to make a sort of homemade Lensbaby with an optic from a worthless, fungus-ridden JCPenney lens. Then you come along and mention coke bottles...
Well, I guess there's one way to find out, eh?
06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Do they still make Coke bottles out of glass?