Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
modifying a lens with no A/M switch

I just got a Yashica Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7 in beautiful condition ($8 at local thrift store). However, it does not have the Auto/Manual switch of the DX 50/1.7 (and others). I read that I would need to modify it to make it full manual. If so, how can i do this in a reversible (non-destructive) way, and with the least amount of disassembly? Any input always welcome. Thanks.

06-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can use something (I just cut a small piece of plastic from a 12-gauge wire) as a spacer and insert it in the spring-mechanism to keep the PIN staying up all the time. You can access the spring-mechanism by removing the rear glass element with a lens spanner. This way, the lens will be in M mode permanently until you remove the spacer again (not that you would want to do that).
06-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is a shot of the modification i did to a tameron adaptall M42 mount

i did the same modification to my zenitar 16mm fisheye

i use a small section of the plastic ink refill from a ball point pen. just the right size