Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking at used 50-135, what to look for?

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a used DA 50-135 (unfortunately with the price hikes new is out of the question at the moment). I have read that some had issues with SDM motors(at least earlier on). Do the newer lenses still have that issue? Is there a way to check maybe by S/N if the lens is newer or older and maybe is a higher risk? also have any had to pay to repair the motor and if so, how much does Pentax charge for that?

I appreciate any help as I have been wanting a weathersealed lens for some time and love the pics I have seen posted from this lens. Compared to the competition of other 70-200 lenses it is actually quite small for what it is. Ideally I'd like to find one at Adorama or BH as I will at least have some warranty coverage but they can be found cheaper elsewhere. Thanks to all in advance.

Rick

06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You could look at the serial number data base on this website.
Lens: K-mount (Digital/35mm) - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I actually think the 16-50 was worse than the 50-135 as far as SDM failure. I own both lenses. Both were purchased used. I have had the 16-50 since 2009 and have sent it into CRIS as of last week to get the SDM checked out. The 50-135 I own was produced later than the 16-50 and it is working fine. I feel that it is worth taking a chance on a used lens since they can be had for a huge discount vs a new one. If it fails, add the cost of repair to what you gave for the lens and it will still probably be much less than a new one.
06-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
RpM
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that link Gary it is helpful. I am about 90% there on buying the lens. Just curious how much did Pentax quote you for an SDM repair on your 16-50? It seems like any S/N 92XXX or after havent seen any reported problems.

06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RpM Quote
Thanks for that link Gary it is helpful. I am about 90% there on buying the lens. Just curious how much did Pentax quote you for an SDM repair on your 16-50? It seems like any S/N 92XXX or after havent seen any reported problems.
see my PM
06-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the autofocus doesn't come on almost immediately then it is going to fail....mine used to need a "warm up" but now it is dead

Good luck!

Randy