Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are there any single element K-Mount lenses?

Like the title says, are there any K mount lenses with just one element?

06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, at least not from Pentax. There's one for the Q, however (and it's the worst lens Pentax has ever made, from an optical standpoint at least )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Lensbaby?
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam! I never heard of that either, thought I should confirm!

06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Lensbaby?
Yeah, the originals were single element and I think it is optional on the newer ones.
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Lensbaby?
Nice! I googled Lensbaby and came across wikipedia with more info Lensbaby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

How about pinhole lenses?

06-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Lensbaby?
Correct. For instance, I have the Lensbaby Muse, which comes with a multi-coated optical glass doublet. The lens elements are in their own bayonet module in the lens body, so you can swap them out. I then purchased the Lensbaby "Optic Kit", which comes with a pinhole / zone plate, plastic optic, and single glass optic. Quite useful, especially if you are into lomography-style photography.
06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Holga HL-P. K-mount, 60mm f/8, single plastic element.

You didn't say it had to be a good lens.
06-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Correct. For instance, I have the Lensbaby Muse, which comes with a multi-coated optical glass doublet. The lens elements are in their own bayonet module in the lens body, so you can swap them out. I then purchased the Lensbaby "Optic Kit", which comes with a pinhole / zone plate, plastic optic, and single glass optic. Quite useful, especially if you are into lomography-style photography.
Last night I dismantled my old 135mm/f2.8 lens in an effort to cleanup the fungus. It turned out that fungus was in between two sandwiched lenses (big heavy block) and with the convex front element on my hand, I thought of building a fun lens on my own. Some time back I read about a DIY lens built completely ground up from glass blocks (don't have links at hand). But what I was aiming was the effects demonstrated in this link Build Your Own Lenses | DIYPhotography.net. Being lazy, I thought of buying any single element lens thinking that it can produce that effect! But now I know!!

Edit: Another link http://www.diyphotography.net/homemade-lenses-whats-all-the-fuzz-about

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 06-26-2013 at 08:43 PM.
06-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Last night I dismantled my old 135mm/f2.8 lens in an effort to cleanup the fungus. It turned out that fungus was in between two sandwiched lenses (big heavy block) and with the convex front element on my hand, I thought of building a fun lens on my own. Some time back I read about a DIY lens built completely ground up from glass blocks (don't have links at hand). But what I was aiming was the effects demonstrated in this link Build Your Own Lenses | DIYPhotography.net. Being lazy, I thought of buying any single element lens thinking that it can produce that effect! But now I know!!
FYI, Surplus Shed has tons of lens elements and other goodies for this very kind of experiment/project. I've never purchased from them, but I've kept the link around in case I decided to try something wild. The individual lens slugs are surprisingly cheap. I emailed them once with a question and I received a relatively prompt reply. They didn't have what I needed but they were certainly polite and tried to help.
06-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Whoops, I just realized Surplus Shed was already mentioned in the article you referenced!

I read the same article, once upon a time, which may have been what took me to SS in the first place...
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Whoops, I just realized Surplus Shed was already mentioned in the article you referenced!

I read the same article, once upon a time, which may have been what took me to SS in the first place...
I saw their website and they have three or four of similar kind of lenses. It certainly is an interesting experiment! With digital cameras you don't have to wait any longer to see the results!!
06-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Like the title says, are there any K mount lenses with just one element?
I think the closest you will get is the smc Pentax Soft 85mm f2.2 which has two elements in one group.

Regards

Chris
06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I think the closest you will get is the smc Pentax Soft 85mm f2.2 which has two elements in one group.

Regards

Chris
Wonderful lens! A bit pricey though.

How much of that effect can be achieved by using a soft focus filter or post-processing?