Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Real world shootout Pentax FA* 24mm F2.0 vs Sigma 24mm EX DG F1.8

I've had the Sigma for quite a while now, a new-to-me acquisition from KEH. Nice lens. Like it a lot. But I recently had the opportunity to acquire a new-to-me FA* 24mm F2.0 from Henry's of Canada. Since I obviously don't need both, I decided yesterday to do a "salty style" shootout to see which I liked better. I didn't use a tripod. I didn't take pictures of brick walls, what I did try to do was to mimic my shooting style as closely as I could. That meant shooting in Av mode, which is what I mostly use, Raw, and manual focus. In other words just like I always shoot. What did I find out? First of all a shootout is a major pita!!!! Always changing lenses, trying to get exactly the same shot, trying to remember not to change aperture, etc etc.
Ergonomically I much prefer the Pentax, it's much smaller and easier to hold. Both lenses have focus ring clutches, so if you use AF it is easy to manually adjust your focus by pulling on the focus ring which then disengages the AF and engages MF. The Pentax is easier to get out of it's pouch (I keep all my lenses in pouches) and is quite a bit slimmer 67mm filter size vs 77mm filter size, so filters will be cheaper too. The Sigma did not come with it's bayonet hood, and I've been unable to find one, Pentax did come with it's hood.
What did I find IQ wise? Well for one thing the Pentax meters higher by 1/2 or 1 full f stop. Using Av mode and keeping aperture constant the pentax would shoot at say 1/60, and the sigma at 1/50. I'm wondering if this is because the sigma is F1.8 and the pentax is F2.0 max aperture. Neither lens is super sharp at the edges wide open tho I need to do some more shooting there. Neither lens is terribly prone to purple fringing or CA, both have some of course but I didn't find it too bad. The Sigma, focuses closer, maybe as much as 6 to 8 inches (15-20 cm) I have never been terribly fond of the Sigma's bokeh, the few shot I have of the Pentax the bokeh seems to be a bit better. The biggest difference is in flare. The pentax has none, while the sigma is very prone to bigtime lens flare and ghosting. The pentax also holds the edge in capturing high contrast areas. You can see many of the shots I made. The first of each pair is the pentax the second of each pair is the sigma; found here:
saltwater : photos : 24mm lens shootout NYBG 03-15-08- powered by SmugMug
Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Pentax, but I still want to do some more wide open shots, and some more bokeh comparisons. It's not like either lens will be losing much value in the next few weeks.

NaCl(right now it's Pentax, but the lenses are pretty close except for the flare issue)H2O

03-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I agree with ya Salty, the Pentax is in the lead. I noticed the flare of the Sigma , and the Pentax seemed a tad sharper to me too. So keep the Pentax, and send the Sigma to me
03-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #3

There are things to complain about with the Sigma primes, but bokeh is not one of them. Can't say for certain, as the 24 is supposedly the weakest out of the 20, 24, and 28.

I love my 28...
03-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #4

You can't draw parallels about flare if one was hooded and one wasn't, esp. into the sun like the last 2 shots

03-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Didn't say the Sigma was unhooded

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighearnan Quote
You can't draw parallels about flare if one was hooded and one wasn't, esp. into the sun like the last 2 shots
I never shoot w/o a hood. I said the Sigma did not have the original bayonet mount hood. It did have a screw on rubber hood.

NaCl(I don't use filters as protection but I do use hoods for that purpose)H2O
03-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
ycl

Sigma 24mm

Hello --

You are probably right, and perhaps I should've saved for (and waited for ...) the FA*24 before buying the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. I also do not like the size (and "feel" / build quality) of the Sigma.

For my intended purpose of using the 24 for low-light indoor pictures, however, I have really no complaints about the Sigma re image quality. I find that it's acceptably sharp at f/1.7 (as registered on my K10d), and I love its close-focus ability.

Here is an example at f/1.7:

And here is one at f/3.5:

All in all, I'd say that apart from its bulkiness, I don't really have any complaints. I find the bokeh perfectly good, and haven't experienced any flare issues (but I usually avoid shooting in a way that would create such issues, so I don't dispute your findings on this point).

In any event, undoubtedly, the FA* is a fine lens, so congrats!

Last edited by ycl; 03-17-2008 at 11:09 AM.
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ycl Quote
Hello --

You are probably right, and perhaps I should've saved for (and waited for ...) the FA*24 before buying the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. I also do not like the size (and "feel" / build quality) of the Sigma.

For my intended purpose of using the 24 for low-light indoor pictures, however, I have really no complaints about the Sigma re image quality. I find that it's acceptably sharp at f/1.7 (as registered on my K10d), and I love its close-focus ability.

*snip*

All in all, I'd say that apart from its bulkiness, I don't really have any complaints. I find the bokeh perfectly good, and haven't experienced any flare issues (but I usually avoid shooting in a way that would create such issues, so I don't dispute your findings on this point).

In any event, undoubtedly, the FA* is a fine lens, so congrats!

Actually I agree with you on most counts, the Sigma IS a great low light indoor lens, in fact I got it to be my "club lens" I just haven't had the time to go out to the clubs much lately. It does real well in low light, a bit soft at the edges wide open, but almost all lenses are, even my beloved 77 ltd. And the fact that it focuses quite a bit closer is a plus too. However I've got many other close-up/macro lenses so that isn't as big a deal as it might be for someone else. Despite what I wrote I haven't completely made up my mind yet, I need some more low light comparisons to finally make a decision. However right now I am leaning heavily towards the pentax.

NaCl(it will take some serious IQ differences for me to change my mind)H2O
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ycl, that's a great picture of the cat.

03-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I never shoot w/o a hood. I said the Sigma did not have the original bayonet mount hood. It did have a screw on rubber hood.

NaCl(I don't use filters as protection but I do use hoods for that purpose)H2O
Ahh, that is a big difference in flare then :O