Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #1

good wide angle for dslr <200$

Hello
I own A28/2.8 and right now I am looking for sth wider - with at least same quality of image (contrast, colours). I could be AF or MF, but position A on aperture ring is a must.
Is it possible to get some prime that fulfill my requirements for <250$ (or 175euro)?
Or am I 'stuck' with zooms - pentax 16-45 or tamron 17-50?

thanks in advance for hints

06-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try looking for a Sigma 24 F2.8 AF.

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
06-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would look for Rokinon 14mm 2.8 on eBay. Usually they go on auctions for around $200-250.
06-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I would look for Rokinon 14mm 2.8 on eBay. Usually they go on auctions for around $200-250.
I second Oxidized, I got the Vivitar branded version of this lens for 200$ on the bay.

It is by far the sharpest wide angle prime lens available in K-mount.

06-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm I would warn against the 14mm. Its pretty hard to focus and its very wide, even on APC-C. Its sharp and good quality, true, but its unforgiving. A 24mm lens would be much more useable (though, not as wide, of course). (Im saying this out of personal experience, though maybe Im just taking much too long to get the hang of 14mm)
But yes, for under 200, you will need to go the used route. The problem is that very old glass isn't very wide angle, or its not as great quality. With wide angles you really should consider buying used new designs, like the DA 21mm.
06-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm I would warn against the 14mm. Its pretty hard to focus and its very wide, even on APC-C. Its sharp and good quality, true, but its unforgiving. A 24mm lens would be much more useable (though, not as wide, of course). (Im saying this out of personal experience, though maybe Im just taking much too long to get the hang of 14mm)
It's quite wide I agree, but focusing is really easy once you figure out hyperfocal settings for this lens at your most used apertures.

With this table it's very easy : Online Depth of Field Calculator
06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
They also go under the name Samyang, Pro Optic and Bower.

The older A lenses are from film cameras (full frame) and thus were 50% wider than they are on a ASP-C cropped body. You will find 28's, and as you go successively wider you will find fewer due to their price and demand - higher price, lower demand (back in the 1980's). The widest was 15mm. The 28's were very good in terms of overall image quality. The wider angle you go the more complex the optical design and the quality of the glass - which increases the price. Also, distortion rises as the width increases.

Most of the older wide A lenses are going for more than $250, and the better quality lenses commanding an even higher price.

Here is a list of the Pentax A wide primes, followed by a list of the Third Party wide primes (note most are Manual lenses, since very few were A lenses) - bold indicates in your price range. You are also going to have to walk through these listings comparing the various image quality attributes, that you are looking to compromise on.

Pentax
Third Party

06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Wow, thanks guys for so many quick answers!
I know I have to go with used lenses - I am ok with that.

At the begining i thought, that I would just buy A-version of 20/2.8 (like I did with A28/2.8) - but then I saw its price...

Sigma 24/2.8 is not significantly wider than 28/2.8, so I will rather skip it - but I watch one FA*24/2, cause price so far is interesting

Those 14mm lenses are huge (+their front element) - I chose pentax for its compact sizes.
I saw tokina 17/3.5 and its great comments, but it is not A version. I can buy it for 700PLN (~160 Euro) locally. I will try to negotiate price, cause for me those 160 Euros are too much for it.

Most of the lenses form interested_observer's post that are bold are new for me, and probably hardly offered (even on ebay).

And how about those 2 zoom lenses I mentioned in my first post (16-45 and 17-50 tamron) ? Are they far away from primes? I thought also about F/FA pentax zooms - but 20-35 is very expensive and 24-50 is not that impressive range.

DA 21/3.2 is quite nice in terms of quality and size. But price should be lower...
06-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by natus Quote
Those 14mm lenses are huge (+their front element) - I chose pentax for its compact sizes.

And how about those 2 zoom lenses I mentioned in my first post (16-45 and 17-50 tamron) ? Are they far away from primes? I thought also about F/FA pentax zooms - but 20-35 is very expensive and 24-50 is not that impressive range.

DA 21/3.2 is quite nice in terms of quality and size. But price should be lower...
The front element on the 14mm is large due to their aperture speed (f2.8) in order to gather sufficient light.

The zooms are well liked. I have the 16-45 and it is very nice, very near prime quality. The 16-45 has been discontinued, and used I have seen some prices at $200. Its a slightly larger lens, but it does very well. It was my favorite lens until I was able to crack the checkbook for the 12-24.
06-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter

After watching for a couple of months I recently bought a DA 16-45 for a total of $200. I'm totally happy. I've been using it for only a few weeks; it's quickly becoming one of my favorite lenses. I find it fast to focus and the IQ, colors and contrast are typically Pentax good. It may not quite be prime quality but it's awfully close. Although it's significantly larger & heavier than your A 28, it's still easy to handle and a pleasure to use. I've always been a bit hesitant to use the Quick Focus feature some Pentax lenses have, but I tired it on a couple of shots with the 16-45 this morning and was very happy with the results.

Good luck in your search.

Jeff
06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by natus Quote
I saw tokina 17/3.5 and its great comments, but it is not A version. I can buy it for 700PLN (~160 Euro) locally.
I have a Tokina 17/3.5 RMS and I find mine takes a very nice photo. Sometimes I will shoot the same scene with both it and the DA15 and will just as often prefer the Tokina version. I don't ever miss the A setting at all.
06-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
focusing is really easy once you figure out hyperfocal settings
Setting for the hyperfocal is not the same as "in focus". What it means is that everything from the near focus point to infinity is "adequately" sharp and "adequate" is loosely defined. I have read many complaints about soft wide angle images on this site that were simply due to missed focus.

To the OP's original request, I would suggest the 18-55 kit lens. At its widest setting the kit is equivalent to 28mm (by intent) on 35mm film. It is hands-down the best wide angle option for readily available glass under $200. Other lenses like the Tokina noted above are also a good option, but may be difficult to find. The DA 16-45 (as noted above) is also good if you can find one for the right price.

I personally use the Russian MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye as my favorite ultrawide. Unfortunately its price is usually above $200 these days.

Steve
06-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To the OP's original request, I would suggest the 18-55 kit lens. At its widest setting the kit is equivalent to 28mm (by intent) on 35mm film. It is hands-down the best wide angle option for readily available glass under $200. Other lenses like the Tokina noted above are also a good option, but may be difficult to find. The DA 16-45 (as noted above) is also good if you can find one for the right price.
I feel much the same. Maybe my kit lens is just a real good copy but for everyday shooting, I can't complain at all. The 24mm range I use a lot and the kit does a very good job, especially if it's stopped down a bit. You're not likely to find anything better (new) for under $200.