Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

DA 40 Limited lens wobble

I recently purchased a used DA 40mm Limited in good but not excellent condition. Optically the lens is perfect, pictures are sharp, even cropped, so I know optics and autofocus are good. My only minor issue is the the inner barrel has a slight wobble to it. It is minor. I would not notice it on a cheaper lens but on this one, where I am more of a perfectionist it is noticeable. Is there an easy fix? This is not something I would send out for a repair, but if there is an easy adjustment I could do, I am willing to give it a try. Any suggestions appreciated.

06-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got mine brand new from official dealer, and it also has that slightly annoying wobble. I didn't notice any impact on IQ though.
06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a wobble on the 21mm limited. Sent it to Pentax Canada. They told me it was that way by design. Likely the 40mm is similar.
06-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I got a 31 ltd and it has a wobble. i think they all do.

06-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 31 and 40 both have a tiny bit of play.
06-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

35/2.8 Macro Ltd - slight wobble.
06-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all! It looks like this is not unusual. I bought the 15mm Ltd new at Adorama in NYC and that lens is rock solid with no play in the barrel whatsoever. When I saw the 40mm used at a good price I could not pass it up and got that one too. Had it not been for the 15 mm being so solid, I likely would not have noticed the slight wobble in the 40 mm. In any case I am very happy with both lenses.

06-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Thanks to all! It looks like this is not unusual. I bought the 15mm Ltd new at Adorama in NYC and that lens is rock solid with no play in the barrel whatsoever. When I saw the 40mm used at a good price I could not pass it up and got that one too. Had it not been for the 15 mm being so solid, I likely would not have noticed the slight wobble in the 40 mm. In any case I am very happy with both lenses.
It seems DA15 is better in this regard, mine is rock solid as well.
06-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wobble is more noticeable if you keep a UV filter on the lens. I owned the DA70 at three different points, and two of those times, the barrel had a wobble. DIdn't affect performance, but it was moreso on the one that had been stored with the filter on the lens. My DA40 also had a slight wobble, DA21 and DA15 were solid. All of them made me happy in terms of IQ, though, no decentering issues.
06-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had to go in my bag and check. Mine has some very slight play but to be honest, I never noticed it until now when I looked for it.
06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The focus ring on my DA 40 wobbles, and the one on my DA*300, and my Sears A 135mm macro. I believe this is just cosmetic, the lenses are all sharp and no performance hit that I can see.

The barrel on my DA 16-45mm wobbled when it was new. I sent it for repair after a couple years of use, because the sharpness suddenly went off. I got it back, sharp as ever and no wobble.
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My DA 70 has wobble.

My DA 15 does not (or it has a tiny tiny amount).

IQ has not been affected in either of them, as they both produce crispy sharp photos.
06-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I owned many SMC Takumars; none wobbled. I owned many Canon FD lenses (not the pro variety, more low/mid-range), and some Vivitar lenses from that era; none wobbled. Now with my DA lenses, almost all seem to wobble to some degree or another even when new - some dramatically. But my current-era Sigma and Tamron lenses don't wobble, or at least haven't yet. It's very disappointing. Does anybody understand why this is?

Paul
07-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The focus ring on my DA 40 wobbles, and the one on my DA*300, and my Sears A 135mm macro. I believe this is just cosmetic, the lenses are all sharp and no performance hit that I can see.

The barrel on my DA 16-45mm wobbled when it was new. I sent it for repair after a couple years of use, because the sharpness suddenly went off. I got it back, sharp as ever and no wobble.
It would seem based on the repair to your 16 to 45, that the lenses can be tightened up so they don't wobble. Lucky for me, I don't have any issues with focus ring being wobbly. That is nice and tight and smooth on all 3 of my better lenses; the DA 15 & 40 Limiteds and my DA*200. All take beautiful sharp pictures. Thanks for sharing your experiences with your lenses. I did buy my DA 40 used and I suspect it may have been dropped or bumped based on some minor paint scrapes on it. Still at about half the cost of a new one, I do feel I got a good deal. In the end, it is the quality of the pictures that matters most and there it really shines.
02-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I owned many SMC Takumars; none wobbled. I owned many Canon FD lenses (not the pro variety, more low/mid-range), and some Vivitar lenses from that era; none wobbled. Now with my DA lenses, almost all seem to wobble to some degree or another even when new - some dramatically. But my current-era Sigma and Tamron lenses don't wobble, or at least haven't yet. It's very disappointing. Does anybody understand why this is?

Paul
My guess for a culprit is autofocus. When manual focus rings were damped, they could be built tighter. Now you wouldn't want to strain an AF motor so that would force a looser construction. That's my guess at least.