Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The full sandwich rule should be a sticky as a memorial to RioRico...

"If it costs less than a sandwich buy it. If it costs more than a deluxe pizza think about it. If it costs more than a fancy dinner ask the wife".
This was a good rule and I hope to see him back soon ... J (crosses fingers)

06-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Any lens without automatic aperture control - one of the great advances in SLR lenses.
Without it in a SLR you are fussing more with your gear than you are with getting a picture.
06-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #33
Forum Member

Worse lens?

It depends on how you enjoy taking photographs and how often or how long you want to keep your lenses.

Let me start by mentioning the worst lens I used: the Pentax K 45-125, and the best: Pentax FA77.

I know that some will disagree, specially owners that want to praise their gear, but let me post my opinion.

1) M lenses will stay for ever. Great pictures were made in the past with them and the improvement in coating does not make much of a difference in most situations. M lenses bad point is the difficulty to use flashes, but otherwise they are very fast and easy to use.

2) Modern lenses often contain mechanical engines that will fail ( see www.soomal.com/doc/20100003594.htm ), have electronics that will fail ( see nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-kostic-pb-free.pdf ), some come without aperture ring which make them useless if the electronics goes down, and some contain hybrid aspherical lenses which have time varying properties caused by environmental factors and perform less with time (easy to find references on the net e;g by Nikon engineers). New, they will outperform the old lenses, but they are not long time keepers as were the M lenses.

So it depends on what you expect when you go to buy your lenses.

I will suggest to avoid in addition to obvious damaged or fungus carrying lenses and try to keep away from lens with SDM engine.

If you want to shoot with fast AF, AVOID the 100mm macro. I own one and I can confirm it hunts a lot. It however is very sharp and fun to use for macro. Being weather resistant and has a very nice bokeh so useful outside macro photography. I will keep mine.

If you want to shoot in very sunny contrasted places, AVOID the FA77 (and if you care about even small amount of CA avoid most of Pentax and Tokina lenses). The FA77 is my preferred lens, the last one I will ever sell. For portrait, it only competes with the M 50 1.4 and 1.7. These have very nice rendering, easy to manual focus on my K5 and except for the FA 77 are the sharpest with nice contrast. I have used a few of DA lenses, and like the DA40. This is small pancake with fast AF, even if it will never reach the M lenses sharpness.

Most of the lenses I used give good results when you learn their strong and weak points. The first thing is to know what you are looking for (focal length, center sharpness or all over the frame one, bokeh, contrast, flare resistance, CA correction, weight, durability, fast focus).

Last edited by Naruto; 06-30-2013 at 11:41 AM.
06-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #34
Site Supporter

How about any lens with "Hanimex" or "Hanimar" written on it ... J

06-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Any lens without automatic aperture control - one of the great advances in SLR lenses.
Without it in a SLR you are fussing more with your gear than you are with getting a picture.
Ha! You are right to a certain extent ... so, I will assume that you would not like my Pentax M/Tak collection, my various M42's nor my Adaptall-2's, unless one uses a PKA adapter mount ... J
06-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Id say avoid some really old zoom lenses or FA J and DA L lenses. Though, they can all produce a photo in their own way, they generally are not worth the hassle?
There are also many odd ancient off-brand lenses that are pretty poor.
But, as stated in this thread before, even those can be used to produce interesting photos. Like the Industar 50-2.. it has terrible edge performance, low contrast, flares easily, fiddly aperture dial, doesn't cover camera mount contacts... but on the other hand, when its focused right, its surprisingly sharp and with the right processing it can make some pretty sweet photos. I have taken some of my favourite photos with an Industar. Maybe that's part o the reason why I like them so much - they were taken against the odds, with a silly lens, but have a unique quality to them
06-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
How about any lens with "Hanimex" or "Hanimar" written on it ... J
You are showing your age or an incredible knowledge
06-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
You are showing your age or an incredible knowledge
Maybe a little of both ... J

06-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Id say avoid some really old zoom lenses or FA J and DA L lenses. Though, they can all produce a photo in their own way, they generally are not worth the hassle?
Even the much maligned FA J 28-80 has 9 pictures in PPG...

The FA J 75-300 has 189, the DA L 50-200 has 195. The DA L 55-300 has 1139 (nearly half as many as the DA*300, not bad for a lens that costs $900 less)...

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-30-2013 at 04:45 AM.
06-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The DA L 55-300 has 1139 (nearly half as many as the DA*300, not bad for a lens that costs $900 less)...
Not surprising at all - the "best" lens you have is the one you can afford.
06-30-2013, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I will assume that you would not like my Pentax M/Tak collection
It's not a matter of "like" but, rather, simple function.
I'm not a hobbyist but a amateur - Lens' are a means to an end and nothing more for me.

I have Tak 28, 55 and 105mms all in pristine condition with original cases, caps, shades etc.
I got them from my brother in law who was a retired studio photographer and art printer. He used them with a SP 500 for family pics.
They all give good results (especially the 105) but it must be said none of them come up to even my modest FA 35 for raw optical performance.
They look pretty, are well made, small and compact but functionally they just don't cut it for my purposes.

Last edited by wildman; 07-29-2013 at 04:23 AM.
06-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
Site Supporter

It's not a matter of "like" but, rather, simple function.
I'm not a hobbyist but a amateur - Lens' are a means to an end and nothing more for me.

I have Tak 28, 55 and 105mms all in pristine condition with original cases, caps, shades etc. ...
I can understand, and i was just kidding around ... nice set of Tak's ... J
06-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Ha! You are right to a certain extent ... so, I will assume that you would not like my Pentax M/Tak collection, my various M42's nor my Adaptall-2's, unless one uses a PKA adapter mount ... J
Well, at least wildman used the correct terminology! I am just glad that most lenses on my shelf have automatic aperture actuation ("Auto" in the parlance of the field) rather than pre-set or fully manual!

Steve
06-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #44
Site Supporter

none of them come up to even my modest FA 35 for raw optical performance.
The FA 35/2 is a very capable lens, though I think that your ST 28/3.5 might give it a run optically. At least, that is my opinion of my copies of those lenses.

Steve
06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

I could be a lot richer - or at least solvent - if I had just kept only my original Takumar 55mm f/2.2 preset lens. And the two shutter dial original Pentax that it came with. With the original issue shutter speed series 1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/500. All lenses since purchased were never as good as it was. Solid metal, smooooooth focusing ...