Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Making use of A Defunct Kodak JR and Asahi Bellows :)

I took a Kodak JR that I will never use and made it Useful LOOK
don't be sad no camera was injured its completely reversible

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-30-2013 at 04:39 PM.
06-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! What was the original film size for the Kodak folder?

Steve
06-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! What was the original film size for the Kodak folder?

Steve
Thanks the original size was 6.5x11cm film so huge crop factor but looks like I will have some fun with it. Sony Nex camera has a lens booster on it so that helps. The shot was wide open at f4 so when I get some light I will try getting sharper

the top 2 photos are f8 on the kodak lens the bottom 2 are of the unit with my homeade m42 adapter aka m42 vivitar teleconverter front cover
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-30-2013 at 10:18 PM.
07-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of these old folders use 616 roll film. The 'autographic' refers to a window you can open on the back of the camera and use a stylus to write a short note directly on the negative. It damages the emulsion so the note appears in the print - it is pretty common to see such notes on many old B&W prints.

I have 3 similar folding roll film cameras that when I last checked, were all still in operational condition. The item that usually goes first is the bellows. The folds crack and light leaks occur. I was just getting comfortable with how to take best advantage of these cameras, versus a 35mm SLR when 616 roll film ceased production. Had I saved extra 616 spools, there is a chance I might have been able to get by with re-rolling 120 or 220 film onto these spools.

I am following this thread with more than a little interest, but as pointed out, I have a big concern the crop factor will all but destroy the elegance of the original image style.

07-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks strangely familiar!

(This was my prototype adapter - the final setup looks just like yours.)

The optic on mine is a Bausch and Lomb Rapid Rectilinear with about a 6" focal length. The markings on the shutter are in Uniform System (U.S.) stops, so wide open (U.S.4) is actually f/8.
07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
1920's Contessa-Nettel Conastigmat on my Pentax K-x

I too have ventured along the lines of this setup since April 2013, as it gives infinity focus.

The 1920's Contessa-Nettel Conastigmat, is a very nice lens, and although hazy, it seems to perform using this setup very well.

Examples can be seen here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/41368-zelda_n64/albums/7016-1920-...l-conastigmat/

Last edited by zelda_n64; 07-01-2013 at 08:09 AM.
07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Most of these old folders use 616 roll film. The 'autographic' refers to a window you can open on the back of the camera and use a stylus to write a short note directly on the negative. It damages the emulsion so the note appears in the print - it is pretty common to see such notes on many old B&W prints.

I have 3 similar folding roll film cameras that when I last checked, were all still in operational condition. The item that usually goes first is the bellows. The folds crack and light leaks occur. I was just getting comfortable with how to take best advantage of these cameras, versus a 35mm SLR when 616 roll film ceased production. Had I saved extra 616 spools, there is a chance I might have been able to get by with re-rolling 120 or 220 film onto these spools.

I am following this thread with more than a little interest, but as pointed out, I have a big concern the crop factor will all but destroy the elegance of the original image style.
Yeah you could say destroy the elegance but I like the word exagerate
07-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That looks strangely familiar!

(This was my prototype adapter - the final setup looks just like yours.)

The optic on mine is a Bausch and Lomb Rapid Rectilinear with about a 6" focal length. The markings on the shutter are in Uniform System (U.S.) stops, so wide open (U.S.4) is actually f/8.
Wow didn't know this was as common as it is, we should start a club in the lens club section. great minds think alike I suppose