Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Test run images of Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2.0

After viewing blende's recent comparison of Fa 43 ltd and Da 40 vs this lens, I actually felt the lens was redundant to my lens line up (after lots of sleepless nights thinking about this beauty prior to lens arrival).

I took this lens out for a walk after the most recent outbreak of LBA at January - at a war memorial centre tested on k20d.

The colour is punchy and vibrant and sharp at f2.0 - I found manual focusing quite easy on this lens in deed. It also got a little cute lens cap, giving a bit of boutique feeling to it.

I read various posts when the lens was first discussed at various fora. The most criticism of this lens is its ugly harsh bokeh with some longitudinal CA. Well, that kind of situation does not happen too much but I found this lens more usable than Fa 43 ltd.

You can see the overall image rendering yourself in the following posts.

f3.5

f8

f2.5

f2.0

f8

f4

f2

f2.5

f8

f2

f2

f8

This lens is definitely a worthwhile lens. I do not hesitate to use wide open. The lens's manual focus is definitely smooth and image quality is quite astounding.

I was kind of expecting cooler colour tone but that was not the case. The colour from this lens is clear and clean with clarity. Great lens in deed.

03-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #2

Great set of pics - nice work indeed! Did you do much post-processing on these? The color looks really very interesting in some of these.

I already have the DA40 and FA43, and don't need another lens in this range!
03-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I took this lens out for a walk after the most recent outbreak of LBA at January - at a war memorial centre tested on k20d.
Great set of images regardless of the lens.
03-18-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
Great set of pics - nice work indeed! Did you do much post-processing on these? The color looks really very interesting in some of these.

I already have the DA40 and FA43, and don't need another lens in this range!
In fact, the B+W has a bit of adjustment on shadow contrast. Otherwise, most of the shots could not get any more colour adjust from what I had already had.

The lens is surprisingly versatile in rendering a variety of colour in a sunny day with harsh light. Not filters or retouching. For the statue shot with a back drop of rialto building, it has contrast adjustment with accentuation of soft light.

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Great set of images regardless of the lens.
I had done some similar shots with Da 14 and Fa 43 ltd in the same spot before. I did not have similar kind of image rendering from these two lenses.

It is kind of a surprise for me.

Thanks for the comment

03-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh what a joy it is to work with such a beautiful well-behaving manual lens,
in contrast to the annoying misfocussing plastic zoom crap!

03-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Oh what a joy it is to work with such a beautiful well-behaving manual lens,
I actually like this lens better than Nokton 58mm f1.4 in which its performance is more stable about 1.8 to 2.0 ; sure all the voigtlander lenses are pleasurable to manual focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote

in contrast to the annoying misfocussing plastic zoom crap!

I know which zoom you are talking about. I kind of only us that zoom at f8 for the sake of colour and contrast, hoping for the sharp corners.

Again, new discovery each day that it is good to revisit the lenses to discover something new each day
03-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP,

You said, 'More usable than the FA43', can you elaborate a bit more.

Later you say you had used the 43 in similar situations and like the rendering of the V40 better,...is it possible to be more specific.

Do you like the sharpness more, the bokeh better, how it handles flare, it exposes better with your camera, render color better, you find it more contrasty, OR just feels better to work with because of the build and size...what is it? if you can. I know at times I like some images better, and don't know exactly why except it renders better to my eye, and that is ok if you can't pint point it either.

P.S: Stunning images..I am in the process of selecting my primes. to me the easy choice reading reviews and looking at images was the FA43. I was seriously considering a MF line-up with the Voigtlanders and Zeiss also. But, finally tentatively decided on DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77. I was debating on CZ 28/2, CZ 35/2, V40, V58, CZ 85/1.4. This is so difficult, and anything you or others have to say is immensely appreciated.
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
beautiful shots. I especially like 1, 6, 8, 9. I could see why you wouldn't need the 43 and the 40. Does the 40 also make the 31ltd somewhat redundant?

Last edited by nostatic; 03-18-2008 at 10:02 AM.
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I absolutely LOVE 4th, 6th and... well I love them all!

Neat lens, but I'd put my money on the eye behind the camera.
03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was checking the phoozone review and they were not impressed with the highlight bokeh, But with the sample there I saw some double image (don't know the term, but OOF area shows a double image like a ghost outline).

One of your shots with the roof OOF (image #4), I think those circular patterns are doubled as well...I wish you can post some images with a shallow DOF.

Thanks.
03-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote

You said, 'More usable than the FA43', can you elaborate a bit more.
Fa 43 ltd is a great lens but its "sweet spot" aperture is about f4 for protraiture, f2.4 for cool lighting landscape.

Fa 43 often backfocuses in dim lighting requiring f1.9 or f2 and its manual focus ring is not as good as Ultron 40mm f2; so if you are going to use 40mm wide open, it is quite a common practice to manual focus to reduce the focusing error.

Owning Fa 43 is not about getting a focal length or getting its "resolution" per se. The lens itself was really designed to give the particular dreamy or "pop" effect when the pentax engineers trialed and error to perfect the design to suit that cliche image rendering. None of the parameters like sharpness or bokeh quality were the major factors to make this lens.

To be honest, AF in fa 43 could be frustrating but it is still convinient in certain setting like wedding, protraits or street shooting etc.

Voigtlander 40mm f2.0 is a lens when you need a lens to explore composition and fun with plenty of time to spare.

Later you say you had used the 43 in similar situations and like the rendering of the V40 better,...is it possible to be more specific.
With Fa 43, it is often hit and run with the shot. Sometimes you get lucky, the magic shot appears when you snap at f2.4 to f4 range. Under natural lighting, the skin often glows using fa 43 for some reasons.

Voigtlander 40mm f2 is capable of producing consistent result of vibrant colour. Sharp from corner to corner. It "pops" most of time when I used it. Something interesting about it...

Do you like the sharpness more, the bokeh better, how it handles flare, it exposes better with your camera, render color better, you find it more contrasty, OR just feels better to work with because of the build and size...what is it? if you can. I know at times I like some images better, and don't know exactly why except it renders better to my eye, and that is ok if you can't pint point it either.
I am not a laboratory type of person. Having a image to image comparision is often not "scientific" enough and requiring a subjective opinion to describe the difference is often open to criticism and dispute. After all, what I could say is how I feel rather than exhaustion of testing image under one type of lighting vs multiple lenses, draining my little time with no photography fun.

Sharpness - probably little difference but sharper for corner with voigtlander at f2

Contrast - definitely higher at f2 for Voigtlander

Bokeh - Not bad for Voigtlander; the tram track bokeh is not seen at but trust me, it is easy to get ugly bokeh with any lenses no matter how "good" they are. I had not see much ugly bokeh though subjectively.

But overall feeling is rather pleasant, complimented by the images I had obtained. I started using the lens with a rather negative feeling towards it. But somewhat I am discovering that not all lenses can be judged just by machines or tests that are not everything in the world.

P.S: Stunning images..I am in the process of selecting my primes. to me the easy choice reading reviews and looking at images was the FA43. I was seriously considering a MF line-up with the Voigtlanders and Zeiss also. But, finally tentatively decided on DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77. I was debating on CZ 28/2, CZ 35/2, V40, V58, CZ 85/1.4. This is so difficult, and anything you or others have to say is immensely appreciated.

Do not get me wrong. Pentax limited lenses are outstanding. I never regret the choices of purchasing them. After all, they all have their weakness. But they all come with autofocus which is a considerably important factor when it comes to photography. You did not get the moments, forget about the optical quality ...

Fa 31, 43 and 77 ltd are good choices regardless what you shoot.

I got Fa* 24 and loved it. So Da 21 ltd did not really get my attention that much. From the forum and various feedback on the lens. It is nevertheless a great lens stopping down to f8. Bokeh may be less forgiving at times becoming chalky.
03-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was checking the phoozone review and they were not impressed with the highlight bokeh, But with the sample there I saw some double image (don't know the term, but OOF area shows a double image like a ghost outline).

One of your shots with the roof OOF (image #4), I think those circular patterns are doubled as well...I wish you can post some images with a shallow DOF.

Thanks.
Sure. The number 4 shot was surprising sharp actually. I was surprised to see the bokeh rather pleasant and rich with contrast.

Here are the full crop of some areas of the shot.

Then the crop on the ceiling shot

I did some shots wide open that day. I will post 2 of them to show the bokeh. (I know there is no highlights or heterogenous background but when I am going to use the lens, I would basicly avoid shots where the bokeh would turn ugly anyway - certainly I am not using this lens for wedding or event photography).

f2

f2.5

03-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Does the 40 also make the 31ltd somewhat redundant?
Thanks for the comments

No, 40 would not make 31 ltd redundant. Eventhough the equivalent FF focal length would be 60mm and 47mm respectively, the image rendering is different.

If I want to take protraits, I definitely go for 31 ltd. Just to increase that little chance to give your shot the best touch. Again, if you ask my mum to tell the difference between the shots taken by 40 or 31, she would shake her head and walk away watching her TV shows.

Are you trying to set me up for group bashing by saying 31 ltd redundant?
03-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I absolutely LOVE 4th, 6th and... well I love them all!

Neat lens, but I'd put my money on the eye behind the camera.
Thanks Dan.

Looking forward to your shots as well.

The weather was rather hot and I decided to stay inside the centre to get the airconditioning. Quite a good way to spend a sunday afternoon
06-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Digging up an old thread. Anyone have comments on the close focus lens that comes with the voigtlander 40mm?
Thanks, Ryan