Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

These two lenses for people events?

Now I have had to give up my work horse 17-70 to my other half I was thinking of putting my FA31 on my K01 and getting a 50-135 for the K7.
Do you think these will cover Ok? Or is it still advisable to get a fast wide zoom?

07-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please define people events. Like, local parties? Clubs? Conventions?

If you can't get more than 5-6 feet away from your subject, or if you can't get more than 10-12 feet away from a small group of subjects, consider getting a wider lens.
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Please define people events. Like, local parties? Clubs? Conventions?

If you can't get more than 5-6 feet away from your subject, or if you can't get more than 10-12 feet away from a small group of subjects, consider getting a wider lens.
Weddings / Birthdays / Family Gatherings Those lengths sound on the money. Sounds like my larger group shots will need to be outdoors.
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My opinion is it can work very well. The 50-135 is fabulous at events. It works even better on a K5.

The F31 and K01 are a lovely combo, although I am still struggling to always get my new K01 to focus where I want it, but that may be me. I have only recently obtained a F31. Before that I used my 21Ltd to great affect. I didn't use my 35Ltd much for events as it wasn't wide enough.

I wouldn't be passing on your 17-70. I found mine performed so much better on the K5 compared with the K7 (I think your wife needs a MX1)

I think the F31 will be perfect on a FF

07-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the 50-135 is a keeper for sure, especially for events. It has always been my most used lens at weddings or portraiture.

The other lens I use for events? the 16-50 f2.8

really you can't go wrong with that combination. I usually keep the 3 FA Limiteds in my bag wherever I go, but at an event I just don't got the time to mess around with primes. So the 16-50 goes on. I never use the lens otherwise... if I didn't do event photography I would have sold the lens years ago. but really it needs to be in my bag when I head out to a wedding. Otherwise, the FA 43 or DA*55 are my key lenses.

At the end of the day it's your shooting style. for a "normal" FOV I don't find the fast aperture very effective on the 31, and I usually stop it down anyways. Hence why I more often than not use my DA*16-50 if given the choice. The rendering to me is very similar. So for me, if I didn't like having a "complete" collection I wouldn't own the 31. I just don't use it enough.
07-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
My opinion is it can work very well. The 50-135 is fabulous at events. It works even better on a K5.

The F31 and K01 are a lovely combo, although I am still struggling to always get my new K01 to focus where I want it, but that may be me. I have only recently obtained a F31. Before that I used my 21Ltd to great affect. I didn't use my 35Ltd much for events as it wasn't wide enough.

I wouldn't be passing on your 17-70. I found mine performed so much better on the K5 compared with the K7 (I think your wife needs a MX1)

I think the F31 will be perfect on a FF
We are on good terms, I offered her the 17-70 and the 55-300 along with our Kx as she barely changes lenses and they suit her needs more. As for myself I am more likely to get a faster wide zoom and the aforementioned 50-135.
07-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I think the 50-135 is a keeper for sure, especially for events. It has always been my most used lens at weddings or portraiture.

The other lens I use for events? the 16-50 f2.8

really you can't go wrong with that combination. I usually keep the 3 FA Limiteds in my bag wherever I go, but at an event I just don't got the time to mess around with primes. So the 16-50 goes on. I never use the lens otherwise... if I didn't do event photography I would have sold the lens years ago. but really it needs to be in my bag when I head out to a wedding. Otherwise, the FA 43 or DA*55 are my key lenses.

At the end of the day it's your shooting style. for a "normal" FOV I don't find the fast aperture very effective on the 31, and I usually stop it down anyways. Hence why I more often than not use my DA*16-50 if given the choice. The rendering to me is very similar. So for me, if I didn't like having a "complete" collection I wouldn't own the 31. I just don't use it enough.
I would LOVE a 16-50 but I won't be able to go there for a while yet, if the event was far more dynamic I would definitly go that way mainly just to get creative wide angles and establishing shots.
For now though I was just thinking of making use of what I have. The idea would to leave the FA31 on the K01 the whole time for those mingling shots you get, I find it is perfect for friendly get togethers at dinner for example.
And yes I WOULD love a K5(X) but would rather put it into glass now I have the K01 that has the K5 sensor anywayif I need it.