Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Another Macro lens thread...Pentax questions

I am looking to do some closeup photogrqaphy as well and was almost set to purchase a Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I figured I would take the chance and post a WTB in the Marketplace section.

Sure enough someone offered to sell me a Pentax F-SMC 100mm f/2.8 lens.

I'm not an expert so if someone can help me out here and explain what the differences are and possibly tell me why one would be better over the other I would appreciate and advice or input.

Thank you,

03-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I am looking to do some closeup photogrqaphy as well and was almost set to purchase a Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I figured I would take the chance and post a WTB in the Marketplace section.

I'm not an expert so if someone can help me out here and explain what the differences are and possibly tell me why one would be better over the other I would appreciate and advice or input.

Thank you,
The F lens does not have the autoexposure electrical contacts, and therefor will work the same as a K or M lens. Manual Exposure only, but it will autofocus.
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #3

Actually, F lenses will support all functions on DSLRs. The only thing you lose to the DFA is quickshift focusing (manual focusing in AF mode).

The F version is much heavier and larger (and more solid as a result), but qualitywise there's really not much between the two. It also has a focusing limiter which makes it more flexible in shooting since you can restrict it to macro distances or normal distances. The DFA has to hunt through its entire range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote

Thank you,
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The F lens does not have the autoexposure electrical contacts, and therefor will work the same as a K or M lens. Manual Exposure only, but it will autofocus.
I don't think this is correct. The only thing real difference between the F and the current FA lenses is the FA lenses can be used in MTF (and distance?). But I never use MTF/Program Mode so it's not an issue with me.

For the record I own both F and FA lenses.

Edit: Jeremy's fingers are quicker than mine & posted the same comment just before me.

03-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually when the forum member offered me an opportunity to buy a lens I think he meant to say it was the Pentax SMC-FA 100mm, just to get the exact model designation correct.
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say the FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro has a slight edge over the DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro optically. Having said that, there are really no bad macro lenses. The FA Macro is however a much bigger and heavier lens and lacks the useful Quick Shift feature.

Do note there is also the cheaper FA 100mm f/3.5 that was made by Cosina. More plastic construction wise but a capable lens too.
03-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'd say the FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro has a slight edge over the DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro optically. Having said that, there are really no bad macro lenses. The FA Macro is however a much bigger and heavier lens and lacks the useful Quick Shift feature.

Do note there is also the cheaper FA 100mm f/3.5 that was made by Cosina. More plastic construction wise but a capable lens too.
The big advantage of the FA 100 over the DFA 100 is the focus limiter.
03-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I don't think this is correct. The only thing real difference between the F and the current FA lenses is the FA lenses can be used in MTF (and distance?). But I never use MTF/Program Mode so it's not an issue with me.

For the record I own both F and FA lenses.

Edit: Jeremy's fingers are quicker than mine & posted the same comment just before me.
I apologize. I have never used an F lens and misinterpreted the comment about electrical contact limitations. Me bad!