Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

I'd better not list mine ...
Oh c'mon...you bought TWO of my fifties at the same time, so I have a feeling that is but the tip of the iceberg!

03-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I have happily sat on 21/43/77 for several months, but recently you guys talked me into believing 31 is a must-have {Finn you were the biggest culprit }. Plus the Aussie$ has risen high I could not resist anymore therefore one is on the way, to make it 21/31/43/77.

For my level of photography 31 & 43 are too close I think I will retire the 43 soon even though it has served me well. So here's another 21/31/77 combo.
Glad to help.

I though the same thing about the 43, but where it really shines is on film. It works much better as a "true" normal than as a very short tele.
03-18-2008, 04:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I have happily sat on 21/43/77 for several months, but recently you guys talked me into believing 31 is a must-have {Finn you were the biggest culprit }. Plus the Aussie$ has risen high I could not resist anymore therefore one is on the way, to make it 21/31/43/77.

For my level of photography 31 & 43 are too close I think I will retire the 43 soon even though it has served me well. So here's another 21/31/77 combo.
Noooooooo! Don't do it!

I was looking to get one of these two and just couldn't resist the 43mm. It's the cutest lens ever made with its ultra-cool hood and cap design. Why aren't there more lenses built like this?

Compared with the 31mm the 43mm has so much going for it:
* less than half the weight
* less than half as long
* slightly less distortion
* sharper through its aperture range with one exception
* that exception is actually a creativity bonus -- softens the edges more when wide open

So, keep the 43mm too!
03-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Come on Frank why not; it's not going to wear them out
Nah, I'd better not count them. Got too many lenses but too little time to shoot. Sometimes I don't know why I'm buying those fine glass at all. Now both of my dry cabinet are totally full, I have to keep some of those not often used ones in office (where we have AC all the time). If you ever come to Singapore, you know how wet it can get here...

03-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #35

About a year ago I started piling up on lenses, but I quickly sold most of them off. I current have some AF primes (14/21/31/43/50 macro/135) plus a couple of A lenses (28/85/80-200) and some miscellaneous stuff.

Between a friend of mine and me, I think we had six Limiteds, all of the 50/1.7s, quite a few 50/1.4s, a couple of 50 macros, probably around 6 or 7 135s, a few 28s. I think probably half or more of them are gone now.
03-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I though the same thing about the 43, but where it really shines is on film. It works much better as a "true" normal than as a very short tele.
That's a good thing to know, as I've just picked up 2 new-to-me film bodies, a K1000 and a SF10. I can't wait to see what the 43 will do with a roll of Kodak High Definition 400 film. I'd like to try some slide film, but I don't have a scanner that will scan slides and to get the slides scanned and put on a CD at the camera store is rather pricy--for the cost of scanning 3-4 rolls of 36 exposure slide film, I could go out and buy an inexpensive flatbed scanner that will scan 35mm slides, print negatives, and 120 film. Needless to say, it's a lot cheaper to get the camera store to scan print negatives. That scanner is definitely on my to-get list.

Heather
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I figured that trap would snare a few of you. I don't think I want to completely stop LBAing.....as was mentioned above, it's way too much fun.
I've had way too much gear, now I just have too much gear, but it's all nice gear, I only plan on buying a new lens if it truly outperforms what I have. I don't get a great joy out of spending money as I don't have much spare these days.
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I'd rather have a handful of really stunning lenses than a whole bunch of "good enough" ones. Part of the attraction of the FA ltds is the build quality and the feel of using them. While the final image is the goal, the process is important. And I'd rather have a piece of gear that inspires me and makes me want to pick up the camera than something plastic that clunks around and feels gritty.

03-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I'd rather have a handful of really stunning lenses than a whole bunch of "good enough" ones. Part of the attraction of the FA ltds is the build quality and the feel of using them. While the final image is the goal, the process is important. And I'd rather have a piece of gear that inspires me and makes me want to pick up the camera than something plastic that clunks around and feels gritty.
I totally agree with this and am beginning to very much wish that Pentax would follow through on this philosophy with a nice minimal body. Something lighter and smaller than the current models, so that it balances well with the limiteds, and makes a compact package that can easily be stowed. It should be stripped of "easy" modes, and simpler in terms of buttons. Having two dials is very nice but some of the extra dedicated buttons just get in the way, or at least they certainly would on a smaller frame. So long as all the controls were programmable to do what we wanted, there would actually be more flexibility in a simpler package.

Think a "photo student" version of the K10D at an entry-level price. Lots of people would get one as a second body. Or even a third... Then we could all be talking about "BBA"... Body Buying Anxiety.
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

I might need to cut off my internet connection.....
Peter, If you cut off your internet connection you can apply the monthly fees to your LBA
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
That's why I've ended up with the few lenses I have. Not a plastic fantastic among them (not that there is anything wrong with plastic lenses [the FA50 is plastic after all] but they are simply uninspiring to me).

Until I have ten grand for a Leica setup, Pentax is where it's at.
03-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Think a "photo student" version of the K10D at an entry-level price. Lots of people would get one as a second body. Or even a third... Then we could all be talking about "BBA"... Body Buying Anxiety.
At this point, I'm not interested in getting a second digital body, but if Pentax were to come out with an all-manual body like the K1000D or MX-D in the $250-300 price range, I might change my mind. The idea of being able to pop a body, along with 2-3 small primes into my purse, small tote, or backpack is an appealing one. Olympus has already done it with the E420/25mm pancake lens, so why not Pentax? Granted, I don't know how much this little kit is going to run, but it proves that a small DSLR is possible.

E-420

Heather
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Granted, I don't know how much this little kit is going to run, but it proves that a small DSLR is possible.
$600 retail including the kit lens, a 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6.
03-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
$600 retail including the kit lens, a 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6.
But the Oly does not have image stabilization...
03-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep thinking I'll break the habit but... I just added a K20D and that means more lenses, right? I just pre-ordered the new Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG APO HSM for the Pentax KAF2 mount. I needed it for birds, airplanes, sports car racing (ALMS), etc. I decided on the Sigma instead of the DA*300mm f/4 because it's $300 or 400 cheaper and I thought the street price on the DA* will come down as it did on the 16-50 and 50-135.

Pentax A3000, 50mm f/2, JC Penney 28-80mm f/2.8, 80-200mm f/3.5-4.5

Pentax K10D, DA*16-50mm f/2.8, DA*50-135mm f/2.8

Pentax K20D, M 50mm f/1.7, A 70-210mm f/4

Then there's the Leica M2, 50mm DR Summicron f/2, 90mm Elmar C f/4, Olympus E-10 + 1.4 TC, Yashica DTL 120 roll film, plus 2 plastic 35mm cameras that Time and Newsweek gave away in the 80's (Hey, they work!).

Holy smokes!