Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I had stopped LBA since 6 months ago.

Now I really started selling the lenses ...

03-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #47
Inactive Account

After almost buying a Pentax SMC-D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro I decided that the Pentax SMC-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro was the better choice. I hope I made the right decision.

I was originally thinking that one of those 18-250's was going to be the last lens I'll buy but then thanks to this forum and the #photography channel on the Undernet decided that I needed a true Macro.

The Pentax SMC-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro is the older mode that's been discontinued.

Now ...the 18-250mm will be my last lens...but then I think I need a Metz 48....

Last edited by Sprags; 03-20-2008 at 04:38 AM.
03-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
After almost buying a Pentax SMC-D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro I decided that the Pentax SMC-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro was the better choice. I hope I made the right decision.

I was originally thinking that one of those 18-250's was going to be the last lens I'll buy but then thanks to this forum and the #photography channel on the Undernet decided that I needed a true Macro.

The Pentax SMC-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro is the older mode that's been discontinued.

Now ...the 18-250mm will be my last lens...but then I think I need a Metz 48....
Keep the FA. It has a focus range limiter, the D-FA does not. Without the limiter, and with the long focus range, the speed to autofocus is very slow. You can test this easily enough by not engaging the focus limit switch, and trying some AF times with the FA.
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #49
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
"Has anybody ever kicked their LBA habit?"

Sure. I do it regularly.
I can stop anytime I want.
It's been DAYS since my last lens.
I only want just a few more:
FA*85 f1.4
FA*300 f2.8
A tilt/shift lens of less than 35mm
a macro of about 180mm

Then, that's it! For sure.
--
dbh - got it under control...

03-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had stopped LBA since 6 months ago.
Now I really started selling the lenses ...
Really ... you must be using a different nick in Marketplace as I haven't seen any lenses under Roentarre there
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #51

I don't think I've ever actually had it. I may drool over some of the pie inthe sky lenses (at least, for me...no way I can afford nor am I willing to spend the money if I could on expensive lenses), but I don't feel the need to own them.

When I decide on a telephoto, I'll be quite happy to have 3 lenses with me: 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm f4-5.6 (assuming), and kit lens 18-55. (may replace the kit lens with a 17-70 at some point).

I don't think I'll ever need much else than that...macro with a vivitar 2x macro-focusing teleconverter. There are certainly better lenses, I just don't ever see myself spending the money on them instead of house/kids/etc. So I have come to peace with that
03-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

LBA: spend, spend, broke, sell. Enough said.

Heather

03-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Keep the FA. It has a focus range limiter, the D-FA does not. Without the limiter, and with the long focus range, the speed to autofocus is very slow. You can test this easily enough by not engaging the focus limit switch, and trying some AF times with the FA.
The limiter plus the all metal construction were the two features about the FA that I liked. The seller states that the lens is in Excellent + condition so I hope I won't be disappointed. I should actually be getting the lens sometime next week as its coming from Japan.

Thanks for the input.
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Really ... you must be using a different nick in Marketplace as I haven't seen any lenses under Roentarre there
Some through friends and private messages.

At ebay, I sell as well
03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I have! Well... Maybe not... I can quit anytime I want! I have all the lenses I need! Except for the 70mm or 77mm... Maybe the Voigtlander 180... Or the new 60-250mm ... Ugh!

The answer: No! It is not possible to cure LBA. Even loss of a job or worse will not cure this insidiouse desease! It is a curse on modern day photographers!I have! Well... Maybe not... I can quit anytime I want! I have all the lenses I need! Except for the 70mm or 77mm... Maybe the Voigtlander 180... Or the new 60-250mm ... Ugh!

The answer: No! It is not possible to cure LBA. Even loss of a job or worse will not cure this insidious disease! It is a curse on modern day photographers!

Just let go with it. It will calm you and break your budget... It is an incurable curse! AHHHH!
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Has anybody ever kicked their LBA habit?

Just ain't gonna happen, buy = sell, buy = sell, buy = sell.

Siggggghhhhhhhhhh
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #57
Inactive Account

Short answer - 'no'.

So, my deal with my partner - I won't sell any more lenses.

So whatever I buy, I have to be dang sure I'm going to be happy keeping. And the sight of lenses rarely used is a great discouragement from other buys.
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I kicked the LBA habit in stages. I've even managed to do something similar with bags, bodies and many "hardly used" accessories. I now have a much slimmer kit!

First was manual focus primes, mainly the Zenitar and Peleng FE's, then all primes covered by the DA 16-45, then all other mid range zooms and my Hartblei Tilt and Shift.

I bought or tried all the mid range primes to see how I felt working with them, these were the DA 14, 21, 40 and 70, FA*24, FA 35, FA 31 and 77. I decided that the IQ gain was not sufficient to warrant the convenience of a really good mid range zoom. I am hoping that the DA 17-70 will perform as well or better than my DA 16-45, otherwise I will start the "hunt the good example" of a DA*16-50.

I'd really like to see Pentax develop a really good DA*15-60 f4.0 with low distortion and cracking optical performance from wide open. That would be an ideal match for the DA*60-250. Nirvana!

I do like macros though, they really are worth the inconvenience because they always deliver the goods. The DA 35 is "very" interesting as it's probably the best IQ from any current Pentax lens. Also, I shall probably hunt for a clean FA 100 f2.8 to partner my FA 50 f2.8 macro in the longer term, although the D-FA 100 is a pretty decent lens and quick-shift is a big plus, but there is something special about the FA 100 macro. An FA*200 macro is an impossible dream!

I've cut down to just 2 zooms (DA 16-45 & Tamron 70-300) and 2 primes (FA 50 macro and FA*300 f4.5) that covered most of the bases. Now sold off the FA*300 in anticipation of the DA*60-250 and will also sell the Tamron 70-300 for a DA 55-300 as it's better and will decide if I will keep it when the 60-250 eventually arrives, as it's small enough as a travel zoom to partner the 16-45 or it's replacement. I've often thought about the 12-24 after being very impressed with a sample I had for a while after dissapointment with a couple of Sigma 10-20's, but I rarely miss or need the extra width, I eventually sold my Zenitar because I always reverted to my 16-45 even though I had to either step back or preferably do a 2+ image stitch.

If the DA*60-250 doesn't deliver the expected performance (I hope it is in the same league as the 50-135), then I may well opt for the DA*300 f4.0 and just live with the 55-300 for the mid-long range zoom convenience.

So that's it for me, a macro or two, because they are the ultimate in IQ, and a couple of the best overall zooms plus maybe the best long prime, currently the DA*300, and a decent TC for it or the 60-250.

Collection is definitely not for me, I'm much happier now I don't have to agonise over which lenses to take/use every time I go out, plus I have a much more transportable kit. It has actually made me examine all my aquisition/collecting habits and I must admit I'm much happier!
05-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #59
Not Registered

I have a sort of cyclic LBA. I buy several used lenses that I want to try when I see them at good prices and some takumars to start a collection. Then, one day I open my Pelican Case and I realize that there are lenses there that I even forgot that I have them. I compromise myself to reduce my equipment ad minimum and I sell the most of them. Once I do it, I have fresh money on my gear account and that is a dangerous combination with my nature. Then I buy several used lenses at good prices and some takumars to start a collection and so on. By the next week, you might see one of the selling parades that I am talking about.
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Interestingly, there seems to be a LSA as well as LBA - one to balance and finance the other. I've yet to sell a single one!

For me it's boredom or frustration with life, and it used to be records and hi-fi. And there really isn't the perfect lens. And the damn internet makes it too easy to get into the scarcity mentality that's in our DNA: because we've not fully integrated the idea that every month eBay will be chock full of never again to be seen bargains, it is hard to bypass one. I keep reminding myself that I don't REALLY need another 28, or a 24, or a 17, or another Russian RF, or that 35 for the one I have... and I'd be better served in saving the money and space for something that really will make a difference... So, I'm trying to hold the line on the Yashica Mat I just bought... for at least a few months... buy a developing tank... yeah, that's it.

I'm taking a deep breath before embarking on a LSA... the damn shelves are full and I'm already eyeing other places to stash some stuff. But most of the lenses are barely worth selling, I thnk: so it's gonna have to be the Bessa I that goes first.