Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Lens for Aquarium Shooting

Just wondering what lens would be best for shooting through the thick acrylic and low light setting in an aquarium. I currently use the DA* 16-50; while the results aren't awful, I am not extremely pleased with this lens under these light conditions. Any tips appreciated.

/hunter

03-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good aquarium advice via searching:
03-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Best lenses for aquarium work have a rubber lens hood that can be touched to the acrylic or glass without damage, should have close focusing capability (small aquarium or big public one?). I like to touch the lens to the glass and then hand hold a flash--on wire--a couple feet to the side of the lens angle. I personally use a 200mm Macro lens which gives me close focus capability and also enough tele to reach several feet into larger aquariums. More than a few feet and the "blur" of the water hinders clear, crisp images. In other words, a whale at the window, no problem. A whale at the far side of the aquarium, probably slim chance for crisp images.
03-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

hmm, that is a great idea Ron, I always thought of using a fast wide angle lens like the FA31Ltd because I wouldnt have to use a flash and I could get a good chunk of he scenery in the shot, of course I had the big tanks in mind. But the long tele/zoom is a great idea. I am going to Atlanta at the end of the month and they have a great aquarium, I think I can use my Tamron 70-300mm in there because it has a macro setting from 180-300. Now I need to find a rubber lens hood for it.

03-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The only lense I use for aquarium photos is my A35-70mm. The "macro" at 70mm is perfect for getting close shots and I'm able to focus that lens quickly enough to capture the action. I use an old shoe-mounted Vivitar flash (in M mode) with a DIY foam diffuser. I've gotten some pretty good results with this setup.

03-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice...Buddah I always thought the 31 ltd would have been a good lens as well due to the focal length; looking through the meta info from previous shots it seems I hang around the 34mm focal length with the 16-50. However next time I go to Atlanta I will take a longer lens with me. I also was unaware that flash photography was allowed at aquariums. So perhaps I will give this a try.

/hunter
03-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I just read an article in Shutterbug mag about pictures through glass - one 'trick' while it may look funny was to take the head of a plunger and mold the opening to fit your lens, then as mentioned press the "plunger hood" against the glass - no reflections
03-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Cool, another Charlotte Pentaxian!!

That is a great idea Dave, because finding a long lens hood for my Tammy hasn't been easy thus far.

03-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Cool, another Charlotte Pentaxian!!

That is a great idea Dave, because finding a long lens hood for my Tammy hasn't been easy thus far.
Buddha, my local photo store has cheapie collapsible rubber hoods. They look more like a coaster when folded up, or vacuum attachment when in place, but they'll work (cheap too). I used the metal hood from my 28mm f3.5 Tak on a M 50mm, and that worked reasonably well too.

Cheers, Matt
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by irighti Quote
Just wondering what lens would be best for shooting through the thick acrylic and low light setting in an aquarium. I currently use the DA* 16-50; while the results aren't awful, I am not extremely pleased with this lens under these light conditions. Any tips appreciated.

/hunter
Hey! I shot with Sigma 24-70 f/2.8! Love that lens!

03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice indeed ... I have a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 on it's way at the moment ... should be here anyday.

Am looking at heading out to the aquarium in Sydney oneday (with wildlife world attached to it too).