Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
am I insane (31 and 35macro)

I'm loving the 77mm ltd, and have a 31mm on its way. I couldn't help myself. But I really need a macro for my abstract shots. I like to work really close to things and pick up textures/geometries/etc. I was figuring on going 50mm macro but the 35mm ltd is calling to me. Make it stop!!!

In trying to be "reasonable" I figured 31mm/50mm/77mm would cover a lot of ground, and the 50-135 is useful for when I don't know what I'm going to shoot. The 16-45 could become expendable if I got a wider prime (21 or 15) and I can always find a fast older 50/1.4 or 1.7 instead of a 50 macro.

But 31 and 35 seems like fairly redundant. The 31 though just won't let me get as tight as I want.

Am I insane? Wait don't answer that...I already know.

03-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have any other macro? Cause you can get "as tight as you want" with any macro for that matter. IMO, the 35 would not be redundant if you do lots of macros. Before I got my Voigtlander, I don't feel that my Vivitar or Tokina is redundant to my 85, since I just use them for macro and not other purposes.
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Subject Matter?

What kind of Macro photography are you intending to do? A 35mm is rather close and will mean that the lighting you do will be a close proximity set up. Will you shoot insects? Still life? I have the Pentax 100 macro which is very good for both. It allows me to light with a complex set up and allow the room to do so. For insects etc. The distance is preferable. It also doubles as an excellent medium telephoto lens.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 03-18-2008 at 12:09 AM.
03-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
actually you can't get that tight with a 100mm macro. Then again you don't necessarily need to, but all other things being equal the 100 will have a tighter dof which I don't really care for.

I don't have a macro right now. And I don't really want to buy multiple ones. In the past my 105mm micro was what was on my D70 over 90% of the time. With the Pentax I can see that the 77 will be on a fair amount, and I'm assuming that the 31 will be as well, for very different looks. But macro is my first love, mostly abstracts. I've just never shot with a 35mm macro. I have done a lot of macro work on p&s, and in that case I was working at about 28mm equivalent.

03-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Whatt kind of Macro photography are you intending to do? A 35mm is rather close and will mean that the lighting you do will be a close proximity set up. Will you shoot insects? Still life? I have the Pentax 100 macro which is very good for both. It allows me to light with a complex set up and allow the room to do so. For insects etc. The distance is preferable. It also doubles as an excellent medium telephoto lens.

Ben
well, the 50-135* seems to cover the medium telephoto well. I like close proximity and shoot only available light. It mostly is street shooting where I see odd textures and geometries that I try to catch as abstracts. I try to leave most of the insects and critters to others. I'm more interested in weathered wood, rusty chains, cracked plaster and stunning bokeh to go along with it.

So I guess I'm not a "traditional" macro customer. Hence my interest in the 35mm. I'm used to working within a couple of cm with p&s and kinda like that way of doing things. Lighting is an issue, but that's what IS is for
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Depth of field wouldn't change with focal length as long as you have the same magnification and aperture. So the only difference would be the working distance (when you said "tight" i thought you meant the ability to do close focus).

Since you don't like to buy multiple lens, then I would suggest to buy a 50 macro or a 100ish macro, which has better spacing for your line up. The only advantage of the 35 would be weight, and quick low magnification macro work. Other than that, it has quite limited application cause you have the 31 limited. And IS might not work as well at high magnification (the same reason as its ineffectiveness with long tele lens).

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
actually you can't get that tight with a 100mm macro. Then again you don't necessarily need to, but all other things being equal the 100 will have a tighter dof which I don't really care for.

I don't have a macro right now. And I don't really want to buy multiple ones. In the past my 105mm micro was what was on my D70 over 90% of the time. With the Pentax I can see that the 77 will be on a fair amount, and I'm assuming that the 31 will be as well, for very different looks. But macro is my first love, mostly abstracts. I've just never shot with a 35mm macro. I have done a lot of macro work on p&s, and in that case I was working at about 28mm equivalent.
03-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, in a perfect world I get close focus and short working distance. I think that is one thing that I had trouble adjusting to with the 105mm...I had to be further from subjects than I was used to.

The 50 is more practical, but I love the feel and function of the limiteds. Plus I find the build quality to be significantly higher than the standard lenses. I'm a sucker for metal and glass (with no plastic or rubber).

That being said the 50 macro I shot in the store briefly had lovely color and reasonable working distance. I just hear the siren song of the limited...
03-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #8

aegisphan beat me to it.

Check out this thread from a few days ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22694-help-macro-selection.html

My sigma 50mm f2.8 achieves 1:1 at about 2 inches from the front element to the subject. I can't imagine going any closer.

Matt

03-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I'm considering making the same purchase, also as an owner of the 31 ltd. If my reasoning is sound, I will likely in turn sell the 31 however. My intentions are primarily for exterior architeture and close-focus product work. I believe the focal length in conjunction with its macro abilities (and the associated sharpness, as seen in your test shots with it Ben) offer it an advanage in both of these endeavors.

Don't mean to say that I'm dieing to be rid of my 31, its a fine lens, though I've been going to a 58/1.4 Nokton for big bokeh over it lately. With its last bastions seemingly made redundant by the 35 in my case, a sale seems pending. I'll overlap them for a while and see what shakes loose.
03-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Igilligan

The sirens song....

well, in a perfect world I get close focus and short working distance. I think that is one thing that I had trouble adjusting to with the 105mm...I had to be further from subjects than I was used to.

The 50 is more practical, but I love the feel and function of the limiteds. Plus I find the build quality to be significantly higher than the standard lenses. I'm a sucker for metal and glass (with no plastic or rubber).

That being said the 50 macro I shot in the store briefly had lovely color and reasonable working distance. I just hear the siren song of the limited...
I think the sirens are singing loud! My 105 is 1:1 at about 5 inches, I cant wrap my mind around being less than 2 inches from my subject. How do you not shadow everyshot? I guess you could be in a lightbox for all of your 1:1 shots...

Oh well, I do understand the call of the sirens, I have a bucket full of metal and glass already after just 6months.... so post up some pics when you get it....
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm loving the 77mm ltd, and have a 31mm on its way. I couldn't help myself. But I really need a macro for my abstract shots. I like to work really close to things and pick up textures/geometries/etc. I was figuring on going 50mm macro but the 35mm ltd is calling to me. Make it stop!!!

In trying to be "reasonable" I figured 31mm/50mm/77mm would cover a lot of ground, and the 50-135 is useful for when I don't know what I'm going to shoot. The 16-45 could become expendable if I got a wider prime (21 or 15) and I can always find a fast older 50/1.4 or 1.7 instead of a 50 macro.

But 31 and 35 seems like fairly redundant. The 31 though just won't let me get as tight as I want.

Am I insane? Wait don't answer that...I already know.
You are far from insane. The field of view difference between 31 and 35 mm is a lot. Repeat this over and over again: "There is no such thing as too many lenses, There is no ..."
03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, I could just go totally insane and get this:

Zeiss | Macro 50mm f/2 ZK Makro-Planar T* Manual | 1486-391

Well, there is such a thing as too many lenses, at least for me. I really don't want a bag full of stuff. I tend more towards having a few favorites and not keeping things I don't use. I already can tell that the 77mm is a keeper. I'm assuming that the 31 will be as well. But I must have a macro as that's a big part of what I "see." I had the Pentax 100mm but I just didn't click with it.

As for distance, I used to do p&s within a few cm of subjects. No lightbox...always handheld available light wherever I was. As long as I didn't have a point source from behind me I was usually ok. Here are some examples:

03-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You are far from insane. The field of view difference between 31 and 35 mm is a lot. Repeat this over and over again: "There is no such thing as too many lenses, There is no ..."
"There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses", "There is no such thing as too many lenses",

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................................:ugh:
03-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month. i will pay off my credit cards every month.

being responsible sucks
03-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Zeiss Makro can only do 1:2, and overpriced. Although I have to admit its beauty and huge aperture are such big pluses, I just don't see how I would settle with a 1:2 macro lens at the price more than my Voigtlander.

By the way, the glass shot is nice, giving off a cool techy look.