Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Another vote for DA15 limited

07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

You do know that the 10-17 is a fish-eye, right? That may make it either particularly attractive or particularly useless for your application....

There's also the Pentax 14/2.8 lens, which is fairly nice and perhaps worth a look....it's wider and faster than the 15mm Ltd.
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind manual focus (although for landscapes you will set it once and leave it there since DOF is so great) and you are willing to find where actual infinity is on the distance scale, the Samyang 14mm 2.8 is an excellent lens. One of its varieties is listed for $329 at B&H.

It is very sharp wide open at F2.8 from corner to corner and very usable at that. For landscape photography where the entire scene is important (not just the center where usually the main subject is) most other lenses need to be stopped down one or two f-stops to provide balanced sharpness across the frame; not this one.

As it has been reported, many Samyang lenses suffer from un-calibrated distance scale and they can focus past infinity by design. The infinity point on my copy happened to be at the 2m mark as I measured it.
07-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter

If you want to avoid star trails (which you do if you want to shoot distinctive sky features like the Milky Way), you want as fast an aperture as you can possibly get. In the ~15mm area, you are generally limited to 20-30 seconds before they start noticeably trailing, and tricks like equatorial mounts or Astrotracer with the O-GPS1 aren't going to help if there is a foreground (which would be blurred). Right now the fastest wide angle lenses you can get for Pentax are f/2.8, which can work pretty well, but some faster options are coming:

The Samyang 16mm f/2.0, as mentioned, is set to be released next week. Since Samyang lenses are so widely available and relatively cheap, you generally don't have to wait too long for reviews. Hopefully the flare and coma on it will be low.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is also supposedly coming out soon (though I suspect a fair bit later than B&H's July 31 estimate), though I'm worried about the reports of flare. As one quickly discovers if the moon is anywhere in the shot, flare becomes truly ugly on the black background of the night sky. Even lenses that work OK in daylight can become downright nasty.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
You do know that the 10-17 is a fish-eye, right? That may make it either particularly attractive or particularly useless for your application....

There's also the Pentax 14/2.8 lens, which is fairly nice and perhaps worth a look....it's wider and faster than the 15mm Ltd.
Yeah, I am aware of that. The thing that attracted me to that was its performance at 10mm. And since I've started getting into night panoramas, something with a wider angle looked like fun to play around with.

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
If you don't mind manual focus (although for landscapes you will set it once and leave it there since DOF is so great) and you are willing to find where actual infinity is on the distance scale, the Samyang 14mm 2.8 is an excellent lens. One of its varieties is listed for $329 at B&H.

It is very sharp wide open at F2.8 from corner to corner and very usable at that. For landscape photography where the entire scene is important (not just the center where usually the main subject is) most other lenses need to be stopped down one or two f-stops to provide balanced sharpness across the frame; not this one.

As it has been reported, many Samyang lenses suffer from un-calibrated distance scale and they can focus past infinity by design. The infinity point on my copy happened to be at the 2m mark as I measured it.
I find I have to rely on manual focus for most night shots anyway, and those Samyang lenses are very appealing. I may end up buy a few different lenses after all!
The results I have achieved with my current lens have been far from disappointing. The DA15 and the Samyang 14mm seem to be top contenders at the moment. I'll wait for reviews of the Samyang 16mm to surface before making any purchases.
Thanks to everyone who has replied so-far! Here's a few examples of what I've been achieving with my current lens:

07-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #21
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

It hurts my eyes, what a starburst !
Vote for 15 ltd.
07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote
It hurts my eyes, what a starburst !
Vote for 15 ltd.
I agree. As a DA21 lover, I gotta say the 15 performs extremely well.
07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MatBloodaxe Quote
Here's a few examples of what I've been achieving with my current lens:
Those are great shots!

07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

DA15 if you want superb flare resistance, sharpness, and those irresistible starbursts.
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I particularly like the look of the 16mm Samyang, though it's hard to tell how it would go without a proper review of it yet.
Here's a review of the Canon mount version of the Samyang 16mm:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-16mm-f-2-0-ed-as-umc-cs-lens-review-22335
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replies! I've got a few more lenses to consider now. I particularly like the look of the 16mm Samyang, though it's hard to tell how it would go without a proper review of it yet.
Has anyone got hands on experience with the 10-17mm at night?
I have used it for full moon+new snow shots. City lights are annoying - the aperture doesn't make nice stars like the DA15, and the lens is so wide at 10mm (180 degree diagonal field of view) that stray lights easily end up in your shot. In rural areas it would be nice.
07-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots on this page Earl and Bdery!
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Here's a few examples of what I've been achieving with my current lens:
Really? You're asking for advice? You should be doling it out!
07-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Beautiful shots on this page Earl and Bdery!
Hey, thanks!