Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Simple DSLR with my old Takumar lens

My first camera was a black Asahi Pentax S3 which I bought in 1961. In order to use the old lenses I got a simple Canon EOS 1100D. Im very satisfied with that combination.

Refurbished Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm IS Lens - Refurbished by Canon 5157B015AA

Attached Images

07-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice, but you might be even happier with a Pentax DSLR, as you get focus confirmation and image stabilization on old manual focus lenses. And generally Pentax has larger and better OVF for manual focus than comparable Canon DSLR. You can also use catch-in-focus on Pentax DSLR for easier manual focus.

After all, if you want to use old Pentax K- and M42 mount lenses, it's still Pentax that has best support for them (unless you want to use a full frame DSLR). You can get Pentax K30 with 18-55 kit lens new for $499. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/228947-499-pentax-k30-...ens-hunts.html
07-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Fogel70. It makes no sense to go non pentax for old Pentax lenses. Considering a refurbished canon camera, you could have also had a refurbished Pentax one.

I would be curious as to the reason why the OP selected canon
07-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Nice, but you might be even happier with a Pentax DSLR, as you get focus confirmation and image stabilization on old manual focus lenses. And generally Pentax has larger and better OVF for manual focus than comparable Canon DSLR. You can also use catch-in-focus on Pentax DSLR for easier manual focus.

After all, if you want to use old Pentax K- and M42 mount lenses, it's still Pentax that has best support for them (unless you want to use a full frame DSLR). You can get Pentax K30 with 18-55 kit lens new for $499. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/228947-499-pentax-k30-...ens-hunts.html
And focus peaking with the K30 too.
Also add the better controls, features, high ISO and DR.
Not to mention that its a Pentax

IMO, if one wants to use a Canon for MF lenses, then go all out with a used 5D (if more MP is not required), 5DII (if more MP required), 6D (if also intended to use with Canon EF lenses with its better AF than 5DII)
At least these are FF options (something Pentax does not have for now)

BTW, the Canons do get focus confirmation with a chipped adapter (they not really that expensive)

07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simple dSLR for use with vintage lenses...

...Oh! That such a thing existed!!

There is a recurring theme on this site where some of us fantasize about a basic manual focus, Av + manual exposure, FF, K-mount dSLR (non-crippled mount) that would also work well with M42 glass.

In the mean time, a consumer-grade Canon body with chipped adapter is not a bad compromise, though I think that you might also want to seriously consider the K-30 (currently bargain priced) as a practical alternative.

Steve
07-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Back to Pentax

Thank you for your comments. I will get a K30.
07-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good call. I have used m42s on a Canon body, and it is not as good of an experience as with a Pentax camera. The chipped adapters can be buggy. With M lenses, I prefer the nex. M lenses can't be run in Av mode without some tricks. The green button comes to the rescue, but I don't have to bother with the Sony.