Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Hope that the comment may help.
Thanks for the response. I am actually thinking of getting a lens bag like this, to carry a lens along that doesn't fit in a pocket. The idea I am pondering is to carry the camera around on a quick strap (like the Cinch or black rapid) with a lens bag like this attached on the quick strap somewhere... Not sure if it's a good idea yet... I definitely need to know the lens bag is sturdy if I'm going to put a nice lens in it.

07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

My biggest Beef with Sigma lenses is when compared to Pentax with their SMC coatings Sigma lenses are considerably less resistant to flare - Also the AF on many Sigma lenses is a bit spotty, On my Pentax K5IIs I'm still astonished at the fact that I didn't have to make any AF adjustments for any of my Pentax lenses - they are all accurate.

and the Pentax SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH...it is totally worth having that lens.

The pentax FA77mm f/1.8 is also superb - from what I have seen it is capable of beating the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8. and it is more than capable of giving the Canon 85mm f/1.2L a run for its money.
07-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The pentax FA77mm f/1.8 is also superb
Sorry for going a bit OT again here.. I have been spending a bit of time over at the fred miranda site lately, and noticing for the first time really just how good zeiss and leica glass is (just by looking at photos.. not by looking up technical specs, prices, reviews)... I know part of it is good shooters making them shine, and I assume you must have a nice collection of these lenses yourself... So I am curious about your opinion/thoughts as to how/where the three amigos fair/stand against similar focal range and speed zeiss and leica lenses..
07-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samael9 Quote
One more question and please forgive my lack of P experience... What shooting/exposure data is available in the viewfinder on the K5II? I couldn't find the info on DP.

Thanks!
From left to right: shuttertime, F-stop, Exposure compensation, file-format and ISO. And offcourse AFpoint and locking conformation

07-09-2013, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Hi Clint,

I think both the Sigma 35/1.4 and the Pentax 31/1.8 would make you happy, but I'd encourage you to give the Pentax 31/1.8 some more consideration. Is it too expensive? Yes, but it is also in a league of its own. Its bokeh is unsurpassed and the lens itself is a jewel.

I have four Sigma lenses myself -- they are all excellent and great value for money on top of it; no problems with flare, BTW -- and the Sigma 35/1.4 is very sharp and has received great reviews, but I think that the Pentax 31/1.8 still has the edge.
07-09-2013, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
So I am curious about your opinion/thoughts as to how/where the three amigos fair/stand against similar focal range and speed zeiss and leica lenses
Without Pentax having a native full frame DSLR it is difficult to say*, however from what I can see from my day to day work with Canon,Nikon, Pentax and Leica cameras is that the Pentax FA limited lenses are extremely good lenses, especially when you factor in cost**. The hardest part about comparing them to other manufacturers lenses is that there really isn't any other lens maker that makes anything quite like the FA limiteds - they are all weird focal lengths, and they are all designed with different purposes in mind. A complaint I have heard about the FA limited lenses is that they have rather modest apertures - personally I consider f/1.8 to be perfectly acceptable these days, because the faster a lens gets the heavier it becomes and the more problematic lens aberrations become.

* I have used the FA limited lenses on film cameras and I have printed images at 11"X14" from 35mm T-max 100 taken with the FA77mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/2.8 and it delivered superb results.
** In terms of cost the Pentax FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH is a bargain compared to the Leica Summiux-M 35mmm f/1.4 ASPH.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-09-2013 at 03:34 AM.
07-09-2013, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
** In terms of cost the Pentax FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH is a bargain compared to the Leica Summiux-M 35mmm f/1.4 ASPH.
That's a bit like saying "Climbing Mount Everest is a piece of cake compared to walking to the moon."
07-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
From left to right: shuttertime, F-stop, Exposure compensation, file-format and ISO. And offcourse AFpoint and locking conformation
Also the little hand on the far right that tells you shake reduction is ready.

07-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Also the little hand on the far right that tells you shake reduction is ready.
Ah, forgot about that one. I guess I use the 150-500 with OS and the 2sec selftimer too much
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just got done reviewing the Sigma 35mm F1.4 (review will be doing up in a month or so) and I found it to be a killer lens for portraiture. In other areas, it's basically on par with the Pentax 31mm, but the bokeh is just something else. So, if you do a lot of portraits, go for the Sigma. Otherwise, get the Pentax, as it's much more compact. Both lenses are really sharp, as they should be. Same goes for the Sigma 85mm and Pentax 77mm.
You are such a tease - a whole month to wait after you say that it nearly matches the legendary FA31, that is just cruel
07-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #26

Original Poster
Thank you, thank you everyone for all of the feedback and insight. There's a few FA31's out there under a grand, so it's still in the running. Also, there is a Zeiss Distagon 50mm in the marketplace here. And, there are a few 50-135's available for $700-ish. So, for less then $2k, it looks like I could have two nice lenses to go with the K5IIs. I wanted to get the body and the glass done for under $3k and now it looks like that is doable... C'mon, Ebay... do your thing...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A99V  Photo 
07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #27

Original Poster
K5IIs

Got the new K5IIs today. Bought a used Sigma 17-50/2.8 from B&H, a Zeiss Makro Planar 50mm from a member here and a Sigma 70-200/2.8 from a guy on Ebay all within the budget... very happy overall. Looking forward to learning this baby :-)

Thanks to everyone for the input and most importantly, the enthusiasm for Pentax. I love doing things differently and would never be considered a herd-mentality anything and this stuff just *feels good* while playing with it in my kitchen. I'm flying in to Warsaw Poland this weekend, so the real shooting journey will begin in Europe.

More coming...
08-20-2013, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
Finally figuring this out...

Hey everyone,

Well, it's been a learning experience in working with the K5IIs and the lenses that I have. By far, the Zeiss Makro Planar is my favorite. The Sigma 70-200 comes next and then the now-not-auto-focusing Sigma 17-50 f2.8 comes in dead last 'cuz it broke within two weeks of buying it. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the focusing ring on it feels like poopy-ca-ca.

The camera is a jewel and it is just that... a primarily stills oriented gem of a machine and clearly emulates my interest in the earlier Sony A900. It's a camera. And even though it has all kinds of trick in jpg mode, that isn't how I shoot and save the golly-gee-whiz for photoshop, either when or if I need it. Coming from an A99, the curve was fraught with "gee, the A99 did this or that better". It took a few weeks to get over the fact that some nice person from Ebay is getting the benefits of the EVF, its 2.4 mil dot live view screen and on-screen shooting data.

The K5IIs take time and patience to learn and use well. Calculating exposure and developing an eye for how the camera is going to see various lighting scenarios has taken a while, but is extremely rewarding when camera and shooter agree. White balance is another thing that the K5IIs has mood swings with, but now accustomed to what its likely choices will be, I can correct for this quickly, now that I am fairly fast with the menus and buttons. Oh yes, I love the button layout... very well and logically placed. They might have even been paying attention to Sony as they feel oddly similar.

The files are gorgeous. What puzzles me slightly is that when I open a RAW file in Aperture, they come in at a tick under 24Mb. I would have thought more like 16, given the MP of the sensor, but hey, who cares? The depth is incredible and makes one wonder why this body isn't selling like hotcakes, even at full list. Given its low-light focusing and shooting performance, it is very Fuji-like, and I've had a few of the recent Fuji offerings. I'd still have my X-E1, but there are no long tele-photos yet. Oh well...

Given the really nice and solid feel of the K5IIs and the (whoops. Sony-like) grip, this body is ultra sweet. Maybe when some more cah becomes available, I'll pick up an FA31mm. BUt, then there's the guy in Warsaw with a Zeiss Distagon 28. Manual focusing with the Zeiss 50 is a breeze, btw. I would not hesitate to recommend a manual lens to anyone who shoots travel, landscape and portraiture. Sports and weddings? Better get something quick to focus. That's not where my head is at these days.

I am extremely pleased with my decisions (Sigma 17-50 aside) and again express my thanks to all who have offered their thoughts.

Clint
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Considering the K5ii is the same body as the K5 (2010) and similar to the old K7 (2009), I'd say Sony took hints from Pentax in their camera development.
08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Considering the K5ii is the same body as the K5 (2010) and similar to the old K7 (2009), I'd say Sony took hints from Pentax in their camera development.
Hah shows you what a noob I am when it comes to Pentax gear... Thanks for this!