Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samael9 Quote
The camera is a jewel and it is just that... a primarily stills oriented gem of a machine and clearly emulates my interest in the earlier Sony A900.
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the K-5 IIs and I agree, it is a gem of a camera.
You may want to check out my thread about "Cool Features" that you may only discover after a while.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Sigma 17-50. Given that it was "preloved", perhaps it wasn't quite OK to begin with? I hope B&H offers some kind of warranty even for used products if they fail so quickly after the sale.

If you don't mind MF then I recommend the Samyang 85/1.4. It is sold under many brand names, such as "Rokinon", and it has superb bokeh and is sharp starting at f/1.4. Don't let the low price fool you into believing this is a cheap lens. Rather good build and optically it is a killer lens, AFAIC.

08-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the K-5 IIs and I agree, it is a gem of a camera.
You may want to check out my thread about "Cool Features" that you may only discover after a while.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Sigma 17-50. Given that it was "preloved", perhaps it wasn't quite OK to begin with? I hope B&H offers some kind of warranty even for used products if they fail so quickly after the sale.

If you don't mind MF then I recommend the Samyang 85/1.4. It is sold under many brand names, such as "Rokinon", and it has superb bokeh and is sharp starting at f/1.4. Don't let the low price fool you into believing this is a cheap lens. Rather good build and optically it is a killer lens, AFAIC.
Hey thanks, Class A.

Yup... I'm lovin' it. We'll see about B&H and what they can do. I am in Poland right now, so sending it back to NYC might be a bit of an issue. They said it came with the original warrantee intact, so maybe there is a Sigma Love-Shack here in Europe that can/will fix it. It's a pretty nice piece overall. I LOVED my copy of the Rokinon 85.1.4 that I used on my A99. It's a bit long for me given that the Zeiss 50/2.0 has a narrow viewing angle. I'd like something shorter, like the FA31 or something 28-ish, but alas... $$$'s. I am so pleased, even when I use the Sigma in MF, it still delivers the goods.

I'll get to your thread on tips and thanks for the suggestion as I can always use more info
08-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by samael9 Quote
Anybody here shooting with a K5IIs? What glass(s) are you using? In terms of the one that "stays on most all the time", which do you prefer?
I'll chime in. I got the K-5 IIs shortly after it came out and just love it. I tend to shoot MF glass and for me my "stays on most of the time" lens - especially if I'm shooting people/portraits - is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4. I'm kind of a broken record on the topic but for me the Nokton is just the best thing going for shooting portraits on APS-C, and is such a pleasure to use. I have a 90mm but it's usually way too tight, unless I have a lot of room outdoors but even then I tend to grab the Nokton. I guess there's no new option for it any more (hopefully that changes) but if you can find one, they're the cat's pajamas.