Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
View finder w/ FA question

I hope nobody has asked this question, at least for awhile, but I'm still relatively new to shooting with DSLRs and never used a F or FA lens on one. I understand the 1.5 crop factor but before I go out and purchase one, I just wanted to know if these types of lenses are still the same as a DA in the view finder?

07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Don't worry about crop factor. On a crop camera, the FA 50mm will look the same as the DA 50mm. On a full frame/film camera, the FA 50mm will fill the whole frame, but the DA 50mm might have dark vignetting and lower quality in the edges. But a quite a few crop lenses have been tested on film (which is full frame) and don't even have vignetting and work perfectly fine.
So don't worry about the crop at all

A, M, and K series and m42 lenses work on the same principle. They project an image circle big enough for film full frame, which gets slightly cut off on an APS-C digital camera, but it will work fine and the viewfinder always displays more or less exactly what the sensor will capture
07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you.