Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

K30 help!: Broken LCD window and Gold spring from DA-L 18-55mm lens

Hi, my pentax K30 has been dropped and got two broken parts:

1. The glass window of LCD has broken. Fortunately the LCD panel itself is okay. I just need to replace the window. I researched how to exchange the glass window, and found some people try without disassembly by heating the window and taking out the broken one and put the new one. But it wasn't K30. I was wondering whether the WR sealing of K30 makes the problem if I try the same thing. Has anyone tried to change the back LCD glass window?

2. 18-55mm DA-L lens mount was also broken and I found several gold parts were fallen out. Five gold pin+spring and One gold spring(longer). I unscrewed some bolts and figured where the five gold pin+spring supposed to be. But I don't know where the 'gold spring' (which is longer and has no pin) should be. Does anyone have a diagram for 18-55 DA-L lens? Or could anyone let me know where the gold spring should go?

I am going to order the part from pentax as soon as I figure out how I can do.

Actually this is my first post. I hope I could get some great tips!

Thanks in advance!

07-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd just get the lens replaced, as they're basically selling for nothing second hand. I'd presume that if the LCD cover isn't properly replaced, it may compromise the sealing, so be careful! Getting Pentax to service the camera would probably be the best (but also the most costly) solution. Wish I could help you more with the DIY!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Perhaps you can use a AC*MAXX hard LCD screen protector directly, as a replacement?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/228239-ac-maxx-screen-protector-tip.html
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd just get the lens replaced, as they're basically selling for nothing second hand. I'd presume that if the LCD cover isn't properly replaced, it may compromise the sealing, so be careful! Getting Pentax to service the camera would probably be the best (but also the most costly) solution. Wish I could help you more with the DIY!
I tried to get an estimate for the repair by calling Pentax, they say that it would take 2 to 4 weeks just for getting parts because the window part stock in AZ is run out. So I just called to part dept. and found the part itself is very cheap (around $5). Since the bayonet ring is also not expensive, I decided to DIY. Thanks for comment!

Last edited by btwall; 07-08-2013 at 07:47 PM.
07-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Perhaps you can use a AC*MAXX hard LCD screen protector directly, as a replacement?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/228239-ac-maxx-screen-protector-tip.html
Sounds like a good alternative. But I'm a little worried whether the hard protector would strong enough to protect from occasional pressure without the glass window inside. I'll research it more. Thanks!
07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Found a good web-site for lens disassembly!

I just found a good tutorial for 18-55 DA II lens disassembly. I guess DA-L contact points should be the same with DA II. I think I got an answer for the second question!
here is the link:

Pentax 18-55 DA II Disassembly/Reassembly - a set on Flickr
07-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the fall was enough to break any part of the body or lens, chances are good that both sustained hidden internal damage as well. If the camera was insured, you might want to look into making a claim.

Steve
07-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the fall was enough to break any part of the body or lens, chances are good that both sustained hidden internal damage as well. If the camera was insured, you might want to look into making a claim.

Steve
Unfortunately I don't have any insurance for my K30. And since the damage is done by my (wife's ) mistake, Pentax said that their warranty will not be covered. At least the body seems to work (I tried the K30 body with other lens). Thanks for your concern!