Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Did you buy it from Sunset Electronics?
It came from Electronics Basket.

07-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rojvol Quote
(1) Is there lens hood in regular 18-135 kit?
A friend just purchased the k-30 18-135 kit and the lens hood was included. So you should get a hood if you purchased the kit. But as others have noted some dealers play games with these kits. If you bought from an authorized dealer the actual kit, the hood is there.
07-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Did you buy it from Sunset Electronics?
Sunset is one of two (Electronics Basket is the other) at Amazon that has pulled this and others here have gotten it rectified by complaining to Amazon. Pentax does NOT package the 18-135 for distribution in the US, as either a stand-alone or a kit, without the hood. That said Sunset has ameded their ad at Amazon to say "Brand New (NO LENS HOOD INCLUDED) Ships Fast , Free Shipping!!" Sad, but this is an instance where a deal is NOT a deal. The hood is not optional IMHO and is an essential piece of gear. They do this to lure people into a purchase with an artificially low price and be able to make more money by offering the hood separately for a significant mark-up. You may be stuck unless you return it and buy from a more "traditional" seller. Good luck.
07-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sunset is one of two (Electronics Basket is the other) at Amazon that has pulled this and others here have gotten it rectified by complaining to Amazon. Pentax does NOT package the 18-135 for distribution in the US, as either a stand-alone or a kit, without the hood. That said Sunset has ameded their ad at Amazon to say "Brand New (NO LENS HOOD INCLUDED) Ships Fast , Free Shipping!!" Sad, but this is an instance where a deal is NOT a deal. The hood is not optional IMHO and is an essential piece of gear. They do this to lure people into a purchase with an artificially low price and be able to make more money by offering the hood separately for a significant mark-up. You may be stuck unless you return it and buy from a more "traditional" seller. Good luck.
I just filed a complaint with Amazon. When selecting the lens from the product page, with Sunset Electronics as the lowest priced seller, it doesn't say the hood would not be included and shows the hood on the lens. I would have had to go to the "More seller options" page to see that Sunset added that the lens did not come with a hood. Not a good system for the buyer.

07-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just filed a complaint with Amazon. When selecting the lens from the product page, with Sunset Electronics as the lowest priced seller, it doesn't say the hood would not be included and shows the hood on the lens. I would have had to go to the "More seller options" page to see that Sunset added that the lens did not come with a hood. Not a good system for the buyer.
Excellent point. They are the oddball one, but have been caught enough that they added that disclaimer on the 2nd page, but only after numerous complaints (that we know about here through this forum) so they are not as up-front as I like my sellers to be and I will not deal with them for any reason as a result. Good luck with Amazon.
07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lost my hood, and after trying an inexpensive option which sucked, and a couple which didn't fit, I shelled out for the real thing. I'm pretty paranoid about hoods now, constantly checking the camera....
07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Just an FYI on Sunset Electronics, because we've had numerous people report problems with them leaving out normal accessories.

This lovely statement comes from the Amazon page referenced below:

"Defective Items can returned for an exchange within 30 days of purchase only if the item is in new condition and free of any cosmetic damage. If the product has cosmetic or physical damage, it will be sent to the manufacture for repair in the customer’s name."

That means that if they sent you something with a defect they'll just mail it to the manufacturer in your name - NOT replace it. What a great company.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_fb?ie=UTF8&asin=B0043RTLA6&is...A36VT43W2I07N0

Ripoff Report | Sunset Electronics Complaint Review Internet: 795558

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.
07-08-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If this helps anyone, I've found the hood from the FA 28-105/4 (or its Tamron sibling), fits the DA 18-135 without vignetting. It provides adequate shade at the wide -> middle FLs.

A quick wrap with dark cloth or paper works if help is needed at the long end - that technique is always useful for zooms.

H2
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Hood should be there. The third party hood should also fit. I use a rubber screw on with mine w
Hen I use a polarizer. I use the rubber hood as a handle to turn the polarizer.
Ditto!
07-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all responses, yet still I wonder, if (in case they won't give me hood, and trust me - they don't look like giving any - it is not even on picture) regular no-brand hood made on 62mm would fit. Its not canon, nor nikon, nor cheap china fake, nor anything, just piece of plastic/metal that should work with all lenses which are sharing same diameter. - ?
07-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you guys for all responses, yet still I wonder, if (in case they won't give me hood, and trust me - they don't look like giving any - it is not even on picture) regular no-brand hood made on 62mm would fit. Its not canon, nor nikon, nor cheap china fake, nor anything, just piece of plastic/metal that should work with all lenses which are sharing same diameter. - ?

Not necessarily. I tried with some tagged as Canon replacements and they did not even really fit correctly, much less lock in place. All you can do is try, I suppose. I want to get a hood for a Promaster 28-105 which is also 62mm, but the 18-135 hood does not fit or lock correctly either.

It's annoying.
07-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Since I lost the little insert from the hood I've been looking for a replacement hood as well. I'm going to try out this one Tamron Brand Bayonet Lens Hood 1D3FH Flower Petalfor 28 105 F 4 5 6 Lens Lens | eBay that I found last night. (thanks @pacerr for the tip on the 28-105)

There's also this one on eBay, which does look tempting:
62mm Lens Hood Bundle w Lens Pen More for Pentax 18 135 18 250mm Lenses | eBay

I'll report back on the one I'm getting.

Jeff
07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Since the 18-135 is a wide-range zoom, you would be best served with a petal-shaped hood, rather than a round one.

Most of the generic ebay hoods, including the generic petal-shaped ones, are screw-mount, so once you screw the threaded portion in, you still need to rotate the hood to the correct orientation, or you will get a part of it in your image. And if you bump into someone or something, the hood might rotate into the wrong position. That's kind of a pain.

Bayonet-mounts go well with petal-shaped hoods because that they will only fit one way. (Well, two ways, rightside up, and upside down, but either is fine.) If you bump them in use, they will usually not shift out of position. Unfortunately, the bayonet mounts are proprietary, an while there are exceptions, in most cases you have no choice but to pay a lot for the genuine brand accessory. (It will be great if the aforementioned Tamron hood happens to fit on the 18-135. Edit: Forgot that pacerr confirmed this earlier, that is great!)

There are some bayonet-mount generic replacement petal hoods, but those are usually only available for very common kit lenses.

So, if they offer you a generic 62mm hood, it will probably fit fine, but won't be as good as the genuine article!

Last edited by Tanzer; 07-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.
07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Since I lost the little insert from the hood I've been looking for a replacement hood as well. I'm going to try out this one Tamron Brand Bayonet Lens Hood 1D3FH Flower Petalfor 28 105 F 4 5 6 Lens Lens | eBay that I found last night. (thanks @pacerr for the tip on the 28-105)

There's also this one on eBay, which does look tempting:
62mm Lens Hood Bundle w Lens Pen More for Pentax 18 135 18 250mm Lenses | eBay
The second one you listed is a generic threaded one.

I hope that Tamron one fits. It'll expand the options of places to look for a proper bayonet hood. I too bought an 18-135 without a hood. The seller did clearly state this in the auction (also said the lens was from a kit that was split up). I had previously bought other knockoff bayonet hoods on eBay so I didn't bother to check whether this one was available... just assumed I could pick one up cheaply. Live and learn
07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #30

I just ordered one from B&H for $45. I submitted a claim with Amazon over not receiving a hood with my lens. The seller, Sunset Electronics, does state that they don't come with a hood, but when they are the lowest priced seller then they show up on the main product page and their note about it not coming with a hood isn't there. You have to go to the "More Buying Choices" page to see that note. Not a good system for the buyer. Amazon agreed with me and submitted the claim. It also helped that the picture on Amazon showed it with the hood.