Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
I just ordered one from B&H for $45. I submitted a claim with Amazon over not receiving a hood with my lens. The seller, Sunset Electronics, does state that they don't come with a hood, but when they are the lowest priced seller then they show up on the main product page and their note about it not coming with a hood isn't there. You have to go to the "More Buying Choices" page to see that note. Not a good system for the buyer. Amazon agreed with me and submitted the claim. It also helped that the picture on Amazon showed it with the hood.
Good for you. The more we nail these marginal sellers for their tactics the better off all of us are. It was a hassle but in the end maybe Sunset and others will either stop these games or go away.

07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good for you. The more we nail these marginal sellers for their tactics the better off all of us are. It was a hassle but in the end maybe Sunset and others will either stop these games or go away.
Sunset wants me to mail the lens back, on my dime. I'm not doing it. I don't trust them. They could get the lens and say it is in not new condition (or it could be damaged in shipping) and refund me less than I paid and I wouldn't be able to do anything at that point. I just talked to Amazon and I'm going to let the Amazon a to z claim work its way through their system and hope I can get a refund that way.
07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Sunset wants me to mail the lens back, on my dime. I'm not doing it. I don't trust them. They could get the lens and say it is in not new condition (or it could be damaged in shipping) and refund me less than I paid and I wouldn't be able to do anything at that point. I just talked to Amazon and I'm going to let the Amazon a to z claim work its way through their system and hope I can get a refund that way.
Click on the links I provided. Sunset reportedly pulled that trick on someone else and they report being ....well...screwed is the only term I can think of. DO NOT remove your complaint at Amazon, if you do you can NEVER make any claim or report on that transaction ever again.
07-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #34

I read that the other day. I'm not going to pull the complaint. I'm pretty much done dealing with Sunset at this point.

07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
On a related topic, what's a "thumb drive mount"? There are a few sellers offering a 62mm hood that says "bayonet" in the title, but then in the description says "thumb drive mount" and also has some instructions about twisting something. For example: Bayonet Mount 62mm Plastic Hood FOR 28 105mm Lens

I asked the seller about it and they gave this not particularly helpful response: "Hello, this is a thumb drive hood. the manufacturer "Mennon" calls it "bayonet" , but that is a thumb drive mount"

Is this just a fancy word for the regular threaded-type generic mount? From the installation instructions it would seem so, but the picture looks a bit different.
07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

It reads like a regular screw-on mount. Maybe they are trying to say you have to reach in through the hood to screw it on using your thumb. Can't really tell from the picture, whether the mount is detachable from the hood.
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trigger Happy Quote
Bayonet Mount 62mm Plastic Hood FOR 28 105mm Lens
As a general rule: If the instructions/description mention installing on TOP of a filter the hood will have "filter threads". Since there is no assurance where the threads will align when tightened, there's a second stage of threaded adjustment to ensure proper alignment.

Such hoods work just fine but are a bit inconvenient because of the threaded attachment rather than the "quick release" bayonet type. (M42 screw mount vs. PK bayonet.)

The sad truth: You'll not get best performance from any lens without a hood.They're a real PITA to carry around - use 'em anyway. And hoods designed for zoom lenses only count at the wide end of the focal length.

The good news: Any shade counts. Stacked, de-glassed filter rings are handy and don't take up much room. A piece of dark paper wrapped around the lens and extended until it noticeably vignettes (held by a rubber band or tape) works as well as the $50 plastic thingies. Use 'em; you'll see the difference.

H2

07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
the hood from the FA 28-105/4 (or its Tamron sibling), fits the DA 18-135
Follow-up: It definitely fits, nearly perfectly in fact. So far, I have found no discernible vignetting even at the long end, but the weather's been so bad it's hard to tell if any darkness I see isn't just more of the overcast and gloom. And, best of all, it stows on the lens just like the original. The only difference is the lack of the removable thing-a-ma-jig for using a CPL. I can live with that, especially since my reason for getting a replacement was because I lost that bit from the Pentax original.

Last edited by jamarley; 07-13-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added text
07-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I received my 18-135mm from Sunset Electronics and it had a hood and I'm glad it did. I would not want to go through the hassle of contacting Amazon and fighting with Sunset to either get a refund or a hood. I hope you get the issue resolved.
07-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I received my 18-135mm from Sunset Electronics and it had a hood and I'm glad it did. I would not want to go through the hassle of contacting Amazon and fighting with Sunset to either get a refund or a hood. I hope you get the issue resolved.
I didn't get this resolved. Amazon's fix was for me to send the lens back to Sunset and receive a refund. I paid $369 from Sunset. The cheapest I could buy it for now is $391 from Big Value, another marketplace seller on Amazon. I would have had to pay shipping back to Sunset and had to possibility of them saying the lens wasn't in "brand new" condition (even though it is), and given me less than what I paid. All of that added up brought me to the conclusion that it was less of a headache to keep the lens and buy the Pentax hood from B&H. I left a 1 star review on Amazon for Sunset.
07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I didn't get this resolved. Amazon's fix was for me to send the lens back to Sunset and receive a refund. I paid $369 from Sunset. The cheapest I could buy it for now is $391 from Big Value, another marketplace seller on Amazon. I would have had to pay shipping back to Sunset and had to possibility of them saying the lens wasn't in "brand new" condition (even though it is), and given me less than what I paid. All of that added up brought me to the conclusion that it was less of a headache to keep the lens and buy the Pentax hood from B&H. I left a 1 star review on Amazon for Sunset.
Sorry it was all such a hassle. If it's any consolation I think you made the right call give Sunset's incredibly poor behavior in the documentation we've seen. Amazon really needs to step-up and step-on some of these marginal sellers, they are harming Amazons reputation IMHO.
07-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry it was all such a hassle. If it's any consolation I think you made the right call give Sunset's incredibly poor behavior in the documentation we've seen. Amazon really needs to step-up and step-on some of these marginal sellers, they are harming Amazons reputation IMHO.
I would give them a bad review also if they did me like that. Once they get enough bad reviews they will hopefully change their ways.....or go out of business . The bad thing about it all is they sold me mines for the same price with a hood. This is another reason I always check the Marketplace and KEH first when I'm looking for something.
07-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #43
Site Supporter

I wish there was a way the scoring algorithms could handle zero stars! Some of these resellers are no better than snake oil salesmen.
07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #44

I just received my 18-135 in the mail yesterday. Ordered from Sunset Electronics on Amazon. It did NOT include the hood as pictured. I called the 1800 number for Sunset. Told the man mine was not included in the package and it shows it in the picture and is not stated anywhere on the page that it ISNT included.. They apolagized and made a new order for one to be delivered. So now i wait.
07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by 545DOOM Quote
I just received my 18-135 in the mail yesterday. Ordered from Sunset Electronics on Amazon. It did NOT include the hood as pictured. I called the 1800 number for Sunset. Told the man mine was not included in the package and it shows it in the picture and is not stated anywhere on the page that it ISNT included.. They apolagized and made a new order for one to be delivered. So now i wait.
Sunset has called me twice since I cancelled the claim on Amazon and left negative feedback. On the last one they left a message saying that they had received the original Pentax lens hood and would like for me to call them back. I assume they want me to delete my negative review and in return they will send me the hood. I've already bought a Pentax hood and they had a chance to do the right thing in the beginning so I will continue to ignore their calls.