Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
Bought it (not really, got given to me), used it, sold it, am much happier!
Short version: Stay away, not worth your trouble! Much better alternatives (MF prime+1.4TC).

Well I got given this lens without the TC.
It is.. well its not that simple. If you want the reach it is usable with a very sturdy tripod and a boat load of patience. I would dump the TC though as IQ is already lacking at 1300mm and I dont want to know what it is like at 2600mm. Personally I think you will find yourself using the 650mm end more often as the lens extends a lot when zoomed out, aperture gets painfully slow and focussing becomes hell. At 650mm I found it to be of mediocre quality. Detail was soft, contrast was lacking, bokeh was blah, DOF was TINY and it was a pain to use. I personally cannot think of very many applications besides shooting the moon and.. shooting the moon! Or spying on your neighbours.
Is it worth 250 bucks? Depends on the person, for most people I would say no it is not. I would much rather put the money towards a new lens ( 35mm F2 ...drool... ) or a flash setup ( off camera or oncamera ). But for people that want to shoot things far away and are very patient sure go ahead and play. Just dont try and shoot birds with it.. by the end of the day you will want to pull out your hair.. stick to stationary things!

Thanks
I'm interested in this long shot lens for several weeks, but I am still hesitate to buy it because there are so few reviews, and its IQ can not be guaranteed. Fortunately you used to own it and got some experience. I plan to use it mainly to shoot the moon, maybe some birds. Is its IQ comparable with a normal astronomical telescope of the similar price? Could you please give me some suggestions about this lens, or good alternatives with good accessibility and proper price.
Thanks!

03-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I can't imaging shooting birds in flight with this thing. Looking at its field of view and that slight movement will look thru the viefinder as an erthquake, I think only bird you will be able to shoot is the one sitting on the branch.
03-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I can't imaging shooting birds in flight with this thing. Looking at its field of view and that slight movement will look thru the viefinder as an erthquake, I think only bird you will be able to shoot is the one sitting on the branch.
Yeah, at this zoom range nobody wants to hold it in the hand unless he likes to do it as an exercise instead of going to gym. Of course it will be mounted on the tripod.
What I concern is whether it can provide acceptable image quality when I shoot some static things like moon or birds sitting on the branch. Hope the IQ is not the same as cropped photo taken by shorter lens.
03-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A much better alternative would be to pick up an older M or K lens, 300 or 400mm, and a Teleconverter to use with it. On film, (not many birds around since I got the K10) the 400 and 1.4 worked quite well, giving 560mm f/8 lens. I am waiting for a 1.7X Pentax AF converter that was shipped yesterday, and that will give me a 680mm f/9.5. Much longer than that and one starts to find air quality affecting the images. I can't wait for birds to come back to the Great White North!