Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have some comments on the test. It's not sufficient to test wide open vs. wide open. That's a useful test, but you have to test them at common apertures to make it fair. I don't see much point in testing at f22. I've used an aperture that small with a macro lens, but never with this kind of lens. Anything past f11 is going to be resolution-limited due to diffraction. When shooting manual focus, I always take at least three shots are each aperture to ensure I nailed focus. I usually shoot some manual focus shots with an auto-focus lens too, to ensure the AF is not off. I find print is particularly telling judging resolution. Lastly, consider using a tripod and auto-timer to improve consistency.
AB, I appreciate the comments. I thought about using a tripod. I "should" be getting the A 50mm 1.7 in the mail tomorrow. I might take all three lenses out and shoot with them using a tripod. I can definitely see how the focus is off in the first shot with the M 50mm. That thing is a mudder to get absolutely spot on with a portrait-type scenario. Right now, the biggest challenge is the heat: It's supposed to be 115 all week: that makes shooting pretty awful.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
Did you have a hood on either/both of the lenses?

That bokeh on the M50 wins hands-down though. From my experience it's still OK at 2.8 but no longer round, there is a noticeable straight-edge that creeps in very early once you stop down.
Ad, Yes, I had a hood on both lenses? Are you saying I should take the hoods off? And I agree about the bokeh on the M50. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed in the 40mm Limited if it can't manage the same level of bokeh. I know it won't look the same, but I'm hoping it will be the same amount of blur (I hope that makes sense, not sure how to put that into words). I "almost" bought the DA 50mm 1.8 instead of the 40 LTD, but I got a GREAT price on the 40 and figured if I wanted the DA50 for the 1.8 I could sell the 40 for nearly what I paid. We'll see. I wish I had a copy of the DA50 to compare directly to the 40mm and decide which to keep.

07-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Ad, Yes, I had a hood on both lenses? Are you saying I should take the hoods off?
Not at all, I was just wondering if you used a hood on the 50 as I know many people don't have one. And, as much as I love the 50 for portraits, particularly in controlled light, I've never really got the results I am pleased with when using it for landscapes and other bright, harsh light shots. It seems to quickly lose contrast when confronted with "scattered" light, if that makes sense. I haven't tested it with a CPL though, I think that might help significantly but I don't have a 49mm CPL.