Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I didn't deny Pentax needs fast lenses--frankly, I don't know what Pentax needs. I know what I need, and I'd certainly welcome more fast lenses, but not heavy fast lenses. A 24mm f2 or f2.8 will be tiny compared to the Sigma 18-35mm. (Anyone needs f1.8 at 18mm?)
Yes. One example I would imagine this will be useful in capturing starry night sky, with lower iso.

So yes, more fast prime needed for PENTAX.

07-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Yes. One example I would imagine this will be useful in capturing starry night sky, with lower iso.

So yes, more fast prime needed for PENTAX.
Yes! I mean, why not?
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It would also be nice to see some of their older lenses get updated with silent focus mechanisms. The loud focus noise is the worst aspect of Pentax lenses by a longshot.
That's funny your greatest concern is the noise from screw-driven focusing lenses. I know you're not alone in wanting more lenses with silent focusing motors, but that's the last thing I'd ever want in a lens. I'd much rather have Quick-shift, WR, and larger apertures in new lenses. I'd take a lens with twice the focusing noise if it was consistently reliable and accurate with focusing.

Two fast lenses in production, the DA* 55/1.4 and the DA 50/1.8, is not enough. I agree with what some are saying here about the current lineup lacking fast lenses. For now my lens needs are mostly met by what I have, but I'd love a few new Pentax FF lenses!
07-10-2013, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea I think they do need some fast glasses to accompany the smaller Ltd lenses. There's always the right tool for the job and I'm sure there's market for faster lenses. Or maybe just work out some deal with third parties to release faster lenses if Pentax needs to focus on FF lenses for the upcoming FF body.

I think they also need more WR lenses to accompany the WR bodies, esp they are spending so much marketing on the WR advantage. There's like one WR consumer grade telephoto lens (50-200mm) and if I want better optical quality it's a huge jump to the DA* lenses; nothing in between... A 55-300mm DC WR would be quite fantastic. I'm hoping the 120-380mm on the road map is DC WR to go with 18-135mm.

Last edited by ruggiex; 07-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I think they need some more representation in the telephoto department... something longer than the DA70, but less than the DA*200.
While something like the M120, 135 or 150mm would be nice, Pentax does have the DFA100 macro WR and the 50-135.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Two fast lenses in production, the DA* 55/1.4 and the DA 50/1.8, is not enough. I agree with what some are saying here about the current lineup lacking fast lenses. For now my lens needs are mostly met by what I have, but I'd love a few new Pentax FF lenses!
FA 31, 43, 77 are fast. DA35 f2,4 is reasonably fast. The DA limiteds are reasonably fast. And with the high ISO performances of the newer lenses, fast is needed only for DOF control, which you can do with a longer lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I think they also need more WR lenses to accompany the WR bodies
That I fully agree. If they had more WR primes than the current 55 and 100, I'd be very happy!
07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
While something like the M120, 135 or 150mm would be nice, Pentax does have the DFA100 macro WR and the 50-135.

FA 31, 43, 77 are fast. DA35 f2,4 is reasonably fast. The DA limiteds are reasonably fast. And with the high ISO performances of the newer lenses, fast is needed only for DOF control, which you can do with a longer lens.

That I fully agree. If they had more WR primes than the current 55 and 100, I'd be very happy!
There are: DA* 200 and DA* 300
07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Oops. I can't believe I forgot about the FA Limiteds, thanks. F/2.4 is getting close, but not really fast. That's also the fastest DA Limited, where a 2.8, 3.2, and 4 aren't very fast at all for primes.

You're also right about increased ISO performance and not needing as large an aperture, but I think the average consumer who wants to buy their first nice lens after using the kit lens would be more interested in a 1.4 or 1.8 instead of 2.4 or 2.8. I'd love Pentax to continue with their compact DA Limited lineup, while introducing more DA* primes that are fast, like a DA* 135/1.8, DA* 85/1.4, and a DA* 24/2 for those who don't have the joy of using the FA* 24.

07-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

That's funny your greatest concern is the noise from screw-driven focusing lenses. I know you're not alone in wanting more lenses with silent focusing motors, but that's the last thing I'd ever want in a lens. I'd much rather have Quick-shift, WR, and larger apertures in new lenses. I'd take a lens with twice the focusing noise if it was consistently reliable and accurate with focusing.
I think the perfect compromise between SDM and screwdrive is the new DC motor in the 18-135. It's quiet (a little louder than SDM), fast, and looks to be super accurate. It also seems pretty reliable as you haven't heard about any motor issues in the time it's been out (which has been a while).

Pentax should put DC motors in all their new lenses.
07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
I agree, coupled with screw drive and cameras allowing us to choose which focusing motor to use. This gives us options and allows Pentax to retain backward compatibility.
07-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

DC motor has limits. It's just not powerfull enough to power the big lenses.

But yes, Pentax has enough small primes!
07-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

2.8, 3.2, and 4 aren't very fast at all for primes.
In theory I agree. I'll simply add that a fully usable f3.2 is better than a worthless f2.

I think the average consumer who wants to buy their first nice lens after using the kit lens would be more interested in a 1.4 or 1.8 instead of 2.4 or 2.8
Yep, the "average customer" might not be fully aware of the trade-offs and nuances involved, and thus could be swayed by numbers.

I'd love Pentax to continue with their compact DA Limited lineup, while introducing more DA* primes that are fast
No problems here, having your cake and eating it too sounds good to me

like a DA* 135/1.8
That would be huge, but popular.

DA* 85/1.4
FA77...

DA* 24/2
I'd like that.
07-11-2013, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the perfect compromise between SDM and screwdrive is the new DC motor in the 18-135. It's quiet (a little louder than SDM), fast, and looks to be super accurate. It also seems pretty reliable as you haven't heard about any motor issues in the time it's been out (which has been a while).

I concur.

In fact, I suspect the DA* 16-85 will have this and might replace the DA*16-50.

Also suspect the DA 120-380 to have this and be WR. It is the natural complement to the 18-135mm.

These are all APS-C lenses IMO.

As for wide, they need a WR. Again, APS-C.

I don't think you'll see more primes that are fast like 1.4. That's such a tiny niche both for zooms and primes Pentax will cede that market to the used gear and third party brands. High-ISO has obviated much of the functional use of very shallow DOF lenses.

I find the pace of Pentax lens releases to be very slow compared to, say, Fuji. When rounding out the APS-C system it's definitely an issue for sales and interest.
07-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I concur.
I find the pace of Pentax lens releases to be very slow compared to, say, Fuji. When rounding out the APS-C system it's definitely an issue for sales and interest.
Indeed, we are half way through the year and no word on a new release yet. But they did release all predicted lenses on the roadmap for last year.
I`m wondering if there would be another cascade of new products at Photokina?
07-11-2013, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That is my point exactly. We need fast lenses because there are plenty of the small and light ones already available.
With ever increasing quality at higher ISO in modern cameras...I question whether we need F 1.8, F 2.8 lenses as much. I've got F 1.4, F 1.8, F 2, F 2.4 , F 2.8 lenses....but I generally use nothing faster than F 2.8....and I rarely use F 2.8.

Yes I'm a available light photographer....but I find particularly with my newest DSLR...a K-5....I've got a wide range of ISO and quality.
07-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
More than half year is gone by now, nothing from the 2013 or later lens has been released yet. I'm really interested to see the Q wide angle lens, DA limited zoom, DA* zoom and DA tele. Pentax sure is taking their sweet time...

/rant
The 01 prime just became a wide angle lens on the Q7