Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: rome
Posts: 26
Help me in choosing btw these lenses...

Hi to all,
I'm newbie in this forum but I'm not newbie on Pentax

I'm currently reorganizing my pentax lenses set and, actually, I've this lenses:
- 18-55 II
- sigma 70-210 2,8 EX DG II APO MACRO
- tamron SP 300 5,6 (I'm thinking of selling because I don't use it ever and remained as new in box)
- Helios 58 F/2

My favourite shots are first of all celebrations (birthdays etc.) at home with many portraits, rarely some ceremonies in the Church, and travel. I like very much portraits and I'm happy with my old Helios-58 f/2... but the best, for me, could be to find any used M42 or K 85mm..

On my actual whishlist there are:
- new sigma 17-70 contemporary
- tamron 17-50 2,8
- pentax 17-70 (lately with this lens I have had numerous problems with autofocus. But it was used ... I sold right away but now I'm afraid that the SDM problem can recur again sooner or later.)
- pentax 24-50 or 24-90

or any very good multipurpose lens (but I read that 18-135 isn't really excellent... as other similar lenses)

I'm looking for a lens that I must have the best possible quality at f/2.8 and be very sharp (as my old tamron 28-75)
My budget is around 450 euros.

Many suggests?
Thanks to all

07-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by renix Quote
Hi to all,
My favourite shots are first of all celebrations (birthdays etc.) at home with many portraits, rarely some ceremonies in the Church, and travel. I like very much portraits and I'm happy with my old Helios-58 f/2... but the best, for me, could be to find any used M42 or K 85mm..

On my actual whishlist there are:
- new sigma 17-70 contemporary
- tamron 17-50 2,8
- pentax 17-70 (lately with this lens I have had numerous problems with autofocus. But it was used ... I sold right away but now I'm afraid that the SDM problem can recur again sooner or later.)
- pentax 24-50 or 24-90
Looks like you do a lot of lowlight shooting so my humble advice would be the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. Confined spaces, low light, running kids? would make this a logical choice. It`s also very suiteble for travel and it seems a great performer.
07-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: rome
Posts: 26
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Looks like you do a lot of lowlight shooting so my humble advice would be the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. Confined spaces, low light, running kids? would make this a logical choice. It`s also very suiteble for travel and it seems a great performer.
But seems to have some F/B focus problems.. it's right?
07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
If you love portraits and low light is a part of your style then the Samyang 85/1.4 is a great option for you. Yes, the Pentax 85's are legendary around here but my best portraits are with my Samyang 85/1.4 without exception. It's also far less expensive than any other 85 option, has modern lens coatings, and is built like a tank. Smooth focus throw, wonderful bokeh, excellent colors, etc.

Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

07-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: rome
Posts: 26
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you love portraits and low light is a part of your style then the Samyang 85/1.4 is a great option for you. Yes, the Pentax 85's are legendary around here but my best portraits are with my Samyang 85/1.4 without exception. It's also far less expensive than any other 85 option, has modern lens coatings, and is built like a tank. Smooth focus throw, wonderful bokeh, excellent colors, etc.

Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
very interesting.. do you have any shot to see about 85mm?
With this option I could buy Samyang and 17-50... probably...

(where could I find samyang in Europe with very good prices?)
07-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,079
I use the original version of the Sigma 17-70 and would rank it as an excellent zoom over that range; the new version is supposed to be better. It's almost inevitable that if you reduce the zoom range, for example to the Tamron 17-50, it's likely but not inevitable that there will be some increase in IQ, provided you "pixel peek," but for most normal viewing, the difference will probably be undetectable. For making a decision, ask yourself: Do I need/want slightly greater zoom range? What do the near-equivalent lenses cost? (especially Tamron 17-50 versus Sigma 17-70).

BTW. I purchased a Pentax 18-135 to substitute for the Sigma to get greater range when traveling abroad. It's pretty good, not as bad as its detractors say and not as good as the advertising claims (surprise, surprise). Subsequently I purchased the new Sigma 18-250. It's very, very good, with surprisingly good macro performance. I would unhesitatingly rank it among the best "walk around" lenses currently available for Pentax - BUT, no f2.8 at any focal length.
07-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by renix Quote
But seems to have some F/B focus problems.. it's right?
Did a quick search and yes, there seems to be. It also seems to be resolved quite easily.
There is also the sigma 18-50 EX F2.8, same pricerange.

Not sure if the pricelevels in Italy are the same as Holland but sometimes SRS microsystems in the UK has some bargains but you need to consider transport as well.
They also sell the 85mm: Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Lens - Pentax Mount - Only 219.00 - SRS Microsystems

219.00 = €253,80, which is allmost €90,- cheaper then here.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 07-11-2013 at 07:12 AM.
07-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,416
Indoors the Tamron 17-50 is my favorite, so I recommend it.

07-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Temple City CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 726
I used exclusively the Tammy 17-50 when chasing kids around, both indoors/outdoors, a versatile lens to have as a parent
Attached Images
 
07-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: rome
Posts: 26
Original Poster
well... then I buy Tammy 17-50 on Amazon (so that if it is defective or change me I can even claim back)

Now I'm looking for a best price for samyang (walimex etc) 85... also used!!

thanks to all friends
07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by renix Quote
well... then I buy Tammy 17-50 on Amazon (so that if it is defective or change me I can even claim back)

Now I'm looking for a best price for samyang (walimex etc) 85... also used!!

thanks to all friends
The Samyang 85 is also sold under the following names (they are the same lens):
Samyang
Vivitar
Rokinon
Bower
Falcon
Polar
07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: rome
Posts: 26
Original Poster
unfortunately isn't very simple to find it used
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,074
Seconded on the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5.
Good all-rounder.
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,830
At 50mm, the Sigma 17-70 is only slightly slower than the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. The Sigma is a better all-around lens, offering more reach, close focusing, etc.

The older version (v1, which I own, the f2.8/f4.5 one) is as good as the second version, smaller and lighter, but lacking HSM. The newest version (contemporary) seems to be as small and as good as the v1, but adding HSM and a faster aperture at 70mm. A fine choice.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ii, k-mount, lens, lenses, newbie, pentax, pentax lens, portraits, sigma, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-01: help me choose from these lens combos PBandJ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 01-24-2013 12:21 PM
Rookie needs help choosing lenses! pathfinder99 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-15-2011 03:01 PM
will these lenses work for me rx2man Pentax K-5 12 11-03-2011 09:16 AM
Help! Dilemma in choosing my new lenses setup aaronius Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 05-02-2010 11:41 PM
Choosing slr PENTAX , can anyone help me ?? michalkrawczyk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 02-18-2009 02:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top