Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A 24mm lens is great for family portraits or photos of people where you want the background to be a part of the picture. I'll use the FA 43 for upper body portraits and the FA 77 for head shots. 24mm is great when there's more than two people in the photo or when you want to be close to your subject. Here's some examples all taken with the FA* 24:

07-12-2013, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perspective

It's common to limit one's use of focal length, especially with WA lenses, to the SUBJECT at hand. It pays to consider the perspective - the POV - that results from relative lens placement. It's a difficult concept to explain verbally but this may help.

There's a different "story" told by the perspective offered between these two lenses even though the main subject is kept the same size in the frame. The telephoto POV isolates the subject, the wide angle shot places it in a particular situation by including a descriptive background. Consider how that would work in a portrait - the WA shot would place the subject "on location" so to speak. An inclusive background also places much more importance on selective depth of field.

As an exercise try a casual portrait series using the WA lens to express the character of the person by including a suggestive background - sports, gymnast, musician, pilot, fisherman, etc. Then use a longer FL to isolate the person with a generic, unobtrusive background.

300mm vs. 16mm

H2

07-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #18

I have the Pentax 24mm f2... and on the digital body (K20d, K7, or my K5) I add the crop factor which gives me an approximate field of view as a 36mm lens. For use I do some portraiture if in a tight space in the vertical mode as this lens can distort and make one look a little more rotund. I also use this lens for landscape or if I can get close enough to the mortar pit I use it to shoot fireworks.

It is an amazing focal length and can even be used as a pseudo macro lens in a pinch.

Dave
07-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dagray Quote
I add the crop factor which gives me an approximate field of view as a 36mm lens.
Exactly. The FOV is wide, but not particularly so. It is equivalent to the 35mm focal length heavily favored for walk-around and street photography by 35mm film photographers.

Steve

07-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #20

I also have the Sigma 24mmEX f1.8. I only shot with primes and find the 35mm equivalent FOV is the most useful in my bag. Maybe that says more about my photography than the lens but I rarely find myself wishing I had a different lens on my K5 when the 24 is mounted. When I have my 35 or 17 lenses mounted this isn't always the case! Enjoy your purchase.

Pat
07-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
This is a funny but good question. I asked it myself for a long time. I never think about it when I use my 12-24 lens and am quite happy snapping at 24 mm with it yet, I always thought that a 24mm prime would be limiting on an APS-c sensor. I now own 2, 24mm lenses (one of them is the Sigma Super Wide II) and get it. It is a good length, you get wide but not distorted wide. You also tend to get close as well. As I still shoot film, it's also nice to have this length available.
RioRico use to post that, the most popular focal length for landscape work is 24 to ~30mm, since anything wider starts to take on various types of distortion.

07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

If you have one, That lens would be way fun on a film camera
07-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Poppies and Rattlesnake grass

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
This is a funny but good question. I asked it myself for a long time. I never think about it when I use my 12-24 lens and am quite happy snapping at 24 mm with it yet, I always thought that a 24mm prime would be limiting on an APS-c sensor. I now own 2, 24mm lenses (one of them is the Sigma Super Wide II) and get it. It is a good length, you get wide but not distorted wide. You also tend to get close as well. As I still shoot film, it's also nice to have this length available.

I knew you had to be from Cali...

07-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My current favorite focal length. I'm actually having a firesale to fund a nice 24mm prime for myself, but I have my zoom locked there more or less. For me, the magic putting something in the immediate foreground like in our friend's great photo below and letting the world open up behind your subject. As much as I love my 55/1.8, you don't get that with it.

Enjoy, post some pictures!

QuoteOriginally posted by bobo2 Quote
I use FA * 24/2 on portraiture