Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

keh

how are keh ratings? fair, low ball high?

07-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH is very strict with their grading. Most have no complaints about BGN lenses from KEH.
07-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very fair grading, good warranty too.
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
KEH is very strict
Indeed. Anything better than "bargan" would probably be listed on eBay as "MINTY+++." Heck, even a "bargain" lens might qualify as eBay "mint."

To compensate, their prices are a bit higher than what can be found on eBay, but KEH is about as risk-free as it gets when it comes to used.

07-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

For some items their prices are notably lower than what the same item would sell for on eBay,

Their grading is based on cosmetics as they do not test the item itself. A generous return policy offsets this, apparently their volume is just too high to allow checking items out. I normally only buy bargain from them and then try to see if there are any signs of wear on it. I have only bought lenses and assessories, never a camera.
07-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

+1 on KEH if they say it is LN you cannot tell it was ever opened. Very strict on the grading system. The only down is that the pictures are not of the actual lens just generic and if you have questions about a particular item they may not know much due to the high volume. But I always check there first if I need something. Good folks to work with.
07-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

I have purchased two items from them and returned two items to them. They don't check that items work and it seems I have had bad luck. I am not too upset since they pay for the round trip if an item doesn't function.
07-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Used them just three or four times, but have had good experiences so far. Shipping can be rough on cheap stuff though...$13 shipping on a $39 lens, oof.

07-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 for Keh.
Their ratings are very conservative and their services are first class. You pay more than on the marketplace, but you have peace of mind.

I bought several lenses from Keh and would recommend them highly. This being said, I bought also from PF marketplace and Adorama Used equipment, and I had no problem.

Like always, do your homework first, be patient (and be prepared to waits for few months to see your lens on the market), and be courteous and respectful when dealing with other people.

My 5 cents...
07-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Two photo companies I never hesitate to do business with: B&H Photo for new gear and KEH for used.
07-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Their grading is based on cosmetics as they do not test the item itself.
Is this true for their camera listings as well. I just bought a K30 from them that was marked as LN- and it is defective. It's going back this week. But if they are only marking them as LN- depending on the outside of the camera, I might have to reconsider where I buy my cameras from now on.
07-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Is this true for their camera listings as well.
I am not sure how they check them. I would think that since they have a repair facility that they at least run them thru the cycles. I bought a ZX-7 body from them a couple of years ago listed as Ex.When I got it I couldn't find anything wrong with it other that a VERY small scuff mark at the tripod mount. It worked perfectly till this last week when the plastic gear gave up. It is on it's way to Eric today.
07-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I bought two film cameras from them and my last two DSLRs from them, all four where in excellent shape. But this K30 isn't. I have to reset it every time I change from manual lenses to AF/A lenses otherwise it won't let me change shutter speeds. And it turns the display off when I don't want it to. I have a thread going on about this but have decided I'm going to just send it back and buy a new one.

Seems to me they installed the battery and it came on. They then rated it LN-. Btw, I called them because they didn't even include the manual and they said if it had been rated LN without the minus mark I'd have gotten the manual. So, beware, if your item is marked LN- all you get is the object and nothing more.
07-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I bought two film cameras from them and my last two DSLRs from them, all four where in excellent shape. But this K30 isn't. I have to reset it every time I change from manual lenses to AF/A lenses otherwise it won't let me change shutter speeds. And it turns the display off when I don't want it to. I have a thread going on about this but have decided I'm going to just send it back and buy a new one.

Seems to me they installed the battery and it came on. They then rated it LN-. Btw, I called them because they didn't even include the manual and they said if it had been rated LN without the minus mark I'd have gotten the manual. So, beware, if your item is marked LN- all you get is the object and nothing more.
That's usually covered in the listing, precisely what is included. If it is not listed it's not included is the general rule.
07-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's usually covered in the listing, precisely what is included. If it is not listed it's not included is the general rule
That's what the sales guy said, and I don't remember if when I bought the K-x it was described as having the manual or not. That was two years ago.