Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
Still like to know how much post-processing went into each if those photo-streams.
For the most part, just the usual small adjustments to exposure and curves. The ones with heavier manipulation (desaturation or severe constrast/saturation shifts) look the part. Almost all images benefit from some PP in the same way that a quality hand enlargement from film differs from a drugstore machine print.

Steve

07-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bought the kit lens today and from the few shots I took I'm very impressed with the overall feel. The lens is so much more a "real" lens than the kit offerings from Canon: The Pentax 18-55mm is sturdy, feels good, and seems to capture excellent colour and more than acceptable sharpness (within the range I used). I'm going to use it a lot more before passing any further judgements- but from what I can see it's a solid buy.
When I went to the camera store I was hoping to pick up a used prime, but they didn't have any in stock. That made my decision a no-brainer. Thanks to all who suggested the kit. It looks like I won't be disappointed.
By the way, can anyone tell me what a fair price would be for a Pentax M 50mm in excellent condition, esp. in Canada? I'm still on the lookout but they all sell for $50-$65 on the internet.
07-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
You missed my earlier post - there's a M50mm f/1.7 for sale now in the market place for $30. Technically, he states only shipping to Cont US but you never know unless you ask...
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
You missed my earlier post - there's a M50mm f/1.7 for sale now in the market place for $30. Technically, he states only shipping to Cont US but you never know unless you ask...
The kicker for me is the dust in the lens. I'm looking for something in near or mint condition simply because I don't have much to spend on lenses right now, so making every purchase count.

07-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I bought the kit lens today and from the few shots I took I'm very impressed with the overall feel. The lens is so much more a "real" lens than the kit offerings from Canon: The Pentax 18-55mm is sturdy, feels good, and seems to capture excellent colour and more than acceptable sharpness (within the range I used). I'm going to use it a lot more before passing any further judgements- but from what I can see it's a solid buy.
When I went to the camera store I was hoping to pick up a used prime, but they didn't have any in stock. That made my decision a no-brainer. Thanks to all who suggested the kit. It looks like I won't be disappointed.
By the way, can anyone tell me what a fair price would be for a Pentax M 50mm in excellent condition, esp. in Canada? I'm still on the lookout but they all sell for $50-$65 on the internet.
Also, don't limit yourself to Pentax 50mm's. There are very few 'bad' 50mm primes out there.

Most of my old lenses are Sears - for the most part they're rebranded Tokinas and Chinons, so they aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination and tend to run cheaper because people dismiss them as some sort of 3rd party budget gear.
07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Also, don't limit yourself to Pentax 50mm's. There are very few 'bad' 50mm primes out there.

Most of my old lenses are Sears - for the most part they're rebranded Tokinas and Chinons, so they aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination and tend to run cheaper because people dismiss them as some sort of 3rd party budget gear.
If only I could find them locally. Getting to handle the merchandise before buying is important to me, so I rarely buy online. The Tokina and Chinon primes seem to sell quickly around here, at least they do at the camera stores,
Maybe I'll check out the Goodwill this weekend
07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #37

I live in Canada and remember when the M lenses were new - Sears in Canada, at least the Sears i shopped at, didn't have "their" lenses available.

An example - a local store (Kerrisdale cameras) has a M 50mm f1.7 for $60, and an 50mm A f2 for $70. A bit pricey I think, but they're out there.
07-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

The kicker for me is the dust in the lens
I dont know that specific lens, but dust inside old lenses is common, its practically unavoidable. These lenses are a couple decades old, after all. And dust inside the lens doesnt really show up in photos, at least not in any of my used primes.
You can also try ordering a brand new Horus Bennus 50mm f1.7 or a Zenitar 50mm f2.0. These are new, super cheap, but obviously made in.. wherever they are made. But you know, technically new. And at the 50mm range, you almost cant go wrong, pretty much all of those primes will give you pretty great quality in terms of sharpness, colours, brightness,..

07-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #39

Unless you buy new (and even then...), I'd almost guarantee there will be dust in the lens. There's dust in ALL of my 50mm lenses (I have 2 f2's and a 1.7). But I defy anyone to see the dust in any of my pictures.

The lens would fare better dust-wise if there's a filter put on the front when stored (as I do with all of mine), but not by much.
07-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just found a Chinon 50mm in very good condition!
07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Just found a Chinon 50mm in very good condition!
I have one of those rebranded as a Sears. I think its the second-best 50mm I own (the Pentax-M f1.4 trumps all). Out of the 'cheap' 50's I have though, the Chinon made lens seems to have better qualities all around (notably closer minimal focus distance being the biggie).
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
Turns out the Chinon was sold by the time I got there. But all was not bad news: There was Pentax 50mm f2 attached to a Chinon CE-4s which I bought as a set for $50. The lens looks to be in excellent condition - alone worth the price.

As for the camera, it's in good shape except for the seals and the matte is peeling off. Now I'm not at all familiar with Chinon cameras and I consider it a freebie so what is the maximum I should spend getting it restored? Is $80 for a full CLA too much?