Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Rokinon in Canada

I used to live in the United States so I miss all the awesome availability I had to great gear.

I'm currently looking for Rokinon's 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 lenses (with the focus confirm). Apparently not all lenses have it. So far, all I can find is the non confirmation models.

Can anyone recommend a source in Canada for these lenses ? I bought one for my Nikon and love it.. Need to beef up my K5 and K20d with something more than just the 50mm 1.8 and the 16-45 F4

07-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kgreggain Quote
I'm currently looking for Rokinon's 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 lenses (with the focus confirm)
I dont think Pentax mount lenses require a focus confirm chip. Focus confirm chips are for.. Nikon only, I think? I hope someone will confirm this
On a modern Pentax DSLR it will automatically have the focus confirm (green hexagon in viewfinder, which shows up when center AF detects focus). You can also use Catch-in-focus (aka focus trapping) on Pentax DSLRs - you hold the shutter and when focus is confirmed, it takes the photo.
Also, the Rokinon is made by Samyang, and is sold under many brands. Vivitar, Bower, ProOptic, Walimex, Falcon, etc. Maybe a store has it under one of those names. Samyang and Vivitar and Bower are probably the most common labels.
But Im not in Canada, so I cant help you further, sorry.
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I dont think Pentax mount lenses require a focus confirm chip. Focus confirm chips are for.. Nikon only, I think? I hope someone will confirm this
On a modern Pentax DSLR it will automatically have the focus confirm (green hexagon in viewfinder, which shows up when center AF detects focus). You can also use Catch-in-focus (aka focus trapping) on Pentax DSLRs - you hold the shutter and when focus is confirmed, it takes the photo.
Also, the Rokinon is made by Samyang, and is sold under many brands. Vivitar, Bower, ProOptic, Walimex, Falcon, etc. Maybe a store has it under one of those names. Samyang and Vivitar and Bower are probably the most common labels.
But Im not in Canada, so I cant help you further, sorry.
+1 to all that. I have the 85/1.4 and love it, but its an A lens with no chip in it and works fine for focus confirmation on my K-x & K-5 when I had them and now my K-5IIs.
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus confirmation is not a chip function for Pentax cameras, at worst it is achieved by a metal lens mount and a short of pin 7 of the camera odd contacts (furthest away from the lens locking pin) to the has by a contact strip on a plastic mount.

As for a store in canada, i think it is either Henry's or downtown camera in Toronto that now carries some of these lenses

07-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are available at Henry's under the Bower nameplate.
07-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks !

Thanks guys.. I am glad there is no chip needed for the Pentax and I will be checking Henry's right away.
07-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note that bower, pro-optic, vivitar, rokinon are all brand names for lenses made by samyang

Shop for Digital Camera Lenses - Wide Angle or Telephoto Lenses - Henry's best camera store in Canada