Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the next step if Eric can't fix the lens?

Hi all,

send in my lens and after inspection, Eric said he can't fix it and ask me to contact PENTAX lens repair.
I wonder how other proceed to get their lens fix (it's the old FA* 85) when Eric can't fix it?

Thanks,
Lee

07-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Did he tell you why he cant fix it? It might need a part replaced or something.
The FA 85mm is so valuable, it might be worth to send it in for official Pentax repair
07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, he did say you should contact Pentax .
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Did he tell you why he cant fix it? It might need a part replaced or something.
The FA 85mm is so valuable, it might be worth to send it in for official Pentax repair
Just curious, when people say official Pentax repair, is that CRIS in Arizona? Or is that something totally different?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and good luck with your lens, Lee!

07-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WD-40 and Duct Tape?

More seriously, contact your local Pentax representative (Be in a camera shop or what), they'll have the channels to potentially get it repaired.

My guess is that Eric doesn't want to touch something because it's either A. Worth too much to potentially damage or B. He doesn't have the part to fix it.
07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
WD-40 and Duct Tape?

More seriously, contact your local Pentax representative (Be in a camera shop or what), they'll have the channels to potentially get it repaired.

My guess is that Eric doesn't want to touch something because it's either A. Worth too much to potentially damage or B. He doesn't have the part to fix it.
Local PENTAX... that's difficult.

I will see, even if I need to send it to PENTAX Japan, I think I will get it fix, it is my most used lens. Now I will have to use 77ltd, and the focus is not that accurate pairing with the K5IIs, after a day out with the combo.
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Call or Write?

If Eric can't fix it and recommended Pentax, that's what I'd do. You could call or write, I've sent a couple eMail questions to Pentax USA and they answered promptly. Just explain the problem and tell' em what Eric said, ask for a 'general' price estimate. That lens is way too valuable to give up on, unless the price to fix is way more than the value of another copy.
JMO,
Ron
07-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Local PENTAX... that's difficult.

I will see, even if I need to send it to PENTAX Japan, I think I will get it fix, it is my most used lens. Now I will have to use 77ltd, and the focus is not that accurate pairing with the K5IIs, after a day out with the combo.
Pentax USA repair info:
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA

And as an aside, you obviously are an old-style manual focuser. What's the problem with the 77mm/K5 IIs combo?

07-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Pentax USA repair info:
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA

And as an aside, you obviously are an old-style manual focuser. What's the problem with the 77mm/K5 IIs combo?
not sure, it just doesn't lock focus as accurate as the FA85, often back focus, in super bright sunlight.... I like to shoot wide open though (around f2-f2.2 if exceed shuttle speed). and no.... I am almost full time AF shooter.
It just my experience, I will have to check to see if it is back focus (the lens itself doesn't need focus adjustment with K5) with the K5IIs.

But when the combo is super sharp. I just post a photo here, re-post it here:

The 77ltd used to stay on the camera most of the time, until I got the 85, now I will use more of it because the 85 needs to get fix. I will contact them right away, thanks!
07-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

WD-40 and Duct Tape?
Or eBay it as "A+++++ Amazing Professional Lens with Artistic Expression, Slightly Used but As New, Special Super Limited Edition"?
08-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi all,

send in my lens and after inspection, Eric said he can't fix it and ask me to contact PENTAX lens repair.
I wonder how other proceed to get their lens fix (it's the old FA* 85) when Eric can't fix it?

Thanks,
Lee
Hi Lee - i have a similar situation as you. While changing lenses my FA 77 slipped out of my hands and it fell to the concrete. Talk about a sick feeling when that was falling. . The damage caused it not to focus at all (manual or auto). In April I sent it to Eric and he gave me an estimate for repair (needs two rings and helicoid and guides). The repair estimate was $210, kind of high i thought but it would be 5 x that to replace it, so I paid the estimate (in April). Since then it's been frustrating because he hasn't been able to get the parts from Pentax. Now this week he says that Pentax repair told him they are in the process of moving the parts department to a new building and they will ship the parts once they inventory everything and find them. Eric says he has other customers in the same boat as me.

Just wondering if you sent your to Pentax repair and if you have had any luck with it. I'm trying to decide if I should continue to wait it out or take other action
08-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
Hi Lee - i have a similar situation as you. While changing lenses my FA 77 slipped out of my hands and it fell to the concrete. Talk about a sick feeling when that was falling. . The damage caused it not to focus at all (manual or auto). In April I sent it to Eric and he gave me an estimate for repair (needs two rings and helicoid and guides). The repair estimate was $210, kind of high i thought but it would be 5 x that to replace it, so I paid the estimate (in April). Since then it's been frustrating because he hasn't been able to get the parts from Pentax. Now this week he says that Pentax repair told him they are in the process of moving the parts department to a new building and they will ship the parts once they inventory everything and find them. Eric says he has other customers in the same boat as me.

Just wondering if you sent your to Pentax repair and if you have had any luck with it. I'm trying to decide if I should continue to wait it out or take other action
I also want to say that I've used Eric in the past and I won't hesitate to use his service in the future, he does excellent work at a fair price. These part issues are beyond his control i'm sure.
08-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
What is the next step if Eric can't fix the lens?
Was sit down and cry one of the options for the right answer.
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

B. He doesn't have the part to fix it.
Most likely. Eric is quite skilled and can generally set a broken item right if he has access to compatible parts.

Steve
08-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Just curious, when people say official Pentax repair, is that CRIS in Arizona?
Yes it is.