Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Schematics of Helios 44M 2/58mm

Hi! i have a little problem ... recently i bought a helios 44M 2/58mm, and the focus ring was a bit stiff...it needed a bit of lub and dust cleaning. My problem is that in the process of disassembling the lenses i lost the focus mark to infinity ...and now no matter what i try i can managed to get infinity focus and assemble the lenses completly ... i manage to get infity focus with the lenses disassembled but once i try to put it together the problems start...so i was wandering if someone could help .
its a great lenses and i dont wont to leave it gathering dust on the shelf...
All help is welcome thanks

07-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello
I have cleaned and lubed my helios 44m, and I had no problems reassembling it. So maybe I can help you.
My initial thought is that you have put the focus-helicoid together in the wrong place - try to screw the two parts apart, turn them 180 degrees further, and then screw them back together.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
I can take pictures, when I get home (in a few days).
Or maybe you can post a picture of the lens, when it is disassemblied and focused to infinity.
07-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by olepap Quote
Hello
I have cleaned and lubed my helios 44m, and I had no problems reassembling it. So maybe I can help you.
My initial thought is that you have put the focus-helicoid together in the wrong place - try to screw the two parts apart, turn them 180 degrees further, and then screw them back together.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
I can take pictures, when I get home (in a few days).
Or maybe you can post a picture of the lens, when it is disassemblied and focused to infinity.
Thanks for your quick response.
a diagram would be great...i think my problem migth be in the position of the lens group when screwed into the focus-helicoid group ... i lost reference of how much should it be screwed in when the ring is in the infinity position and when the lenses is mounted together it wont turn until it reaches the infinity position it stops at 10....because the lenses can go back any further ...the focus ring turns fine once its unmounted . so my guess is that i got the screwing amount wrong and no matter what i do i cant seem to get it right (either the lenses group hits the back part of the lenses stoping it from getting to the infinity mark or the holes for the screw's in the front part of the lens group wont align with the focus helicoid, so it cant be attached---and if i move it in or out to adjust position so i can close it i loose infinity focus )
Once again thanks for your quick answer and help...

PS: this is an HELIOS 44M 2/58mm and not an 44M-x model
sn-7517822
07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Check this out:

07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for your reply. unfortunately the cameras that is working on is the 44M-2 ...which has a different mechanism...i've searched the net for help and you tube too and already saw his 2 videos before i asked for help in here. theres other sites too that explain how to recover for lost infinity focus, but they are all 44M-x mechanisms which are different from the 44M...

its in french by the way.

Tuto hélios pps free ebook download from iznodil.free.fr
07-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I kind of have the same problem with a 44M ... I put it aside and forgot about it since I have others 44Ms ... J
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I kind of have the same problem with a 44M ... I put it aside and forgot about it since I have others 44Ms ... J
Bon moi je vai pas la laisser tomber .... il doit avoir une façon de recuperer la mise au point au infinit ....
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Check this out:
Very different construction with the 44-2 as opposed to the OP's 44M.

There are assembly, disassembly instructions on the Web for the 44M, though I don't have the links handy. IIRC, one requires a visit to deja.com to get a "retired" Web page.

Edit:: Found the post from earlier this year with the appropriate links:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/67775-sibling-...ml#post2268366

Steve

07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

There are assembly, disassembly instructions on the Web for the 44M, though I don't have the links handy. IIRC, one requires a visit to deja.com to get a "retired" Web page.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/67775-sibling-...ml#post2268366

Steve
Thanks Steve !!! that looks like the rigth one !! ill have a go at it later on and let you know how it go !Once again a million thanks
07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
Thanks Steve !!! that looks like the rigth one !! ill have a go at it later on and let you know how it go !Once again a million thanks
My pleasure. Good luck on getting your lens in good order.

Steve
07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Thanks from me, too, Steve ... J
07-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
stevebrot....a million thanks !!! after countless hours of dismounting and mounting, thanks to your help i finally manged to put the lenses back together and have infinity focus!your information was priceless, once again thanks !and thank yout to psychoticstudios.com!!!
Got my helios 44M 2/58 back yeahhhhhh!!!
No ill start the cleaning process of the super-macro-takumar 4/50mm...

Once again a gazzillion thanks to stevebrot!!!!