Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ever rolled your 77 LTD off the top of thr Eiffel Tower?

Me either, but holy <insert expletive here> did it come close to happening for me. We were at the very top (320+ meters high) and I was taking pictures of the Parisian city below us when my sister, in a genuine attempt to assist me, grabs my "clamshell opening" Canon 200 EG backpack by the top handle and lifts without checking to see if it was zippered (which your assumption would be correct - it wasn't). Out comes the FA 77 and rolls along the floor. Other lenses would have definitely followed, but I grabbed the bag before any others could follow suit. It's the only lens that I keep in a case in my bag (the leather case it came with) and that is what ensured it didn't get scratched. But that, of course wasn't a concern of mine. Had it not been for a short (10cm tall?) lip/baseplateir that prevents people from getting their feet caught under the cage wall/fence, there would have been a limited projectile heading towards someone's head.

I have LOTS of photos to share, and I know there are a few threads of mine I haven't gotten to, but we are still traveling (Barcelona tonight!) and I just wanted to share this story

-Heie

07-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, you would have contributed to making the Limited name more accurate if it did...

Any damage to the FA77 anyways? Or was it a small drop from the bag? Can't wait to see your pictures!
07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Glad you are enjoying your well-earned leave, but Paris with you sister!? What kind of soilder are you?
07-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Damn, here goes my chance to say I caught a Limited falling from the sky...

Seriously, though, that could have been one hell of a horror story. Glad it didn't end way too badly for you (and the 77mm)!

(P.S. Next time you visit the Tour Eiffel, if you happen to have a 31mm with you and your sister tags along, please warn me ).

07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Me either, but holy <insert expletive here> did it come close to happening for me. We were at the very top (320+ meters high) and I was taking pictures of the Parisian city below us when my sister, in a genuine attempt to assist me, grabs my "clamshell opening" Canon 200 EG backpack by the top handle and lifts without checking to see if it was zippered (which your assumption would be correct - it wasn't). Out comes the FA 77 and rolls along the floor. Other lenses would have definitely followed, but I grabbed the bag before any others could follow suit. It's the only lens that I keep in a case in my bag (the leather case it came with) and that is what ensured it didn't get scratched. But that, of course wasn't a concern of mine. Had it not been for a short (10cm tall?) lip/baseplateir that prevents people from getting their feet caught under the cage wall/fence, there would have been a limited projectile heading towards someone's head.

I have LOTS of photos to share, and I know there are a few threads of mine I haven't gotten to, but we are still traveling (Barcelona tonight!) and I just wanted to share this story

-Heie
glad it survived as well as the person it would have taken out...have fun!!
07-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, you would have contributed to making the Limited name more accurate if it did...
This.
07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Would have become the only prime 'zoom' lens in existence! ;p!

07-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
07-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember someone who's a member here dropping an FA77 off a bridge over railroad tracks. That was not a story with a happy ending.
07-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Erm... This is a lesson to you.. Please do not use Canon bag for Pentax stuffs... LOL!
07-16-2013, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Ever rolled your 77 LTD off the top of thr Eiffel Tower?
Actually, yes.
As a matter of fact the whole week was bad as the day before I smashed my Lamborghini into a barricade at the Vatican, and before that my Learjet lost an oil plug and we had to put down in Athens instead of going all the way to Cairo.
Then I woke up.
#firstworldproblems
07-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Am I the only forum member who's royally upset that you were in Paris without letting us expats pentaxians in Paris know - to give us time to set up a get-together picnic /under/ the Eiffel Tower (to catch what you might be throwing down, of course)?

I forget what the appropriate "temper-tantrum" smiley is.....
07-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No. I'm way too careful with the lenses.

Now ME on the other hand I've nearly gone flying head first down stairs, fallen/sleepwalked into a pool more than once, hit my head multiple times, sprained my ankles too many times to count, ripped tendons in my foot, cut my foot badly, stuck a retail peg hook into my arm by accident, jammed digits, been in several car accidents that messed up my back, even nearly gotten blown up twice.

No I am not kidding. I very narrowly missed the first WTC PATH bombing and someone flew a plane into a building that I was supposed to have been in not too long after 9-11. Had an appt to see a lawyer that day not gotten rescheduled I would have likely been killed. I also had a head on incident with an 18 wheeler in 2000 that was just hair raising. I totally thought I was dead. The only thing I could even think at the time was "Oh F-guess this is it then!" LOL

If there are such things my guardian angels have been working OT my whole life I think starting with the day I was born. I was born way too early, and there were blood factor issues and other issues besides. I ended up in an incubator and they said I would never live. Told my Mom and Dad to prepare for the worst but hey, here I am typing at you all.

It would piss me off to lose a lens, particularly if I ended up accidentally killing someone and getting charged with manslaughter for that but it would be far more likely that "I" would go flying off the Eiffel Tower than any gear of mine unless of course it was in my hand and went with me! :P
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
No. I'm way too careful with the lenses.

Now ME on the other hand I've nearly gone flying head first down stairs, fallen/sleepwalked into a pool more than once, hit my head multiple times, sprained my ankles too many times to count, ripped tendons in my foot, cut my foot badly, stuck a retail peg hook into my arm by accident, jammed digits, been in several car accidents that messed up my back, even nearly gotten blown up twice.

No I am not kidding. I very narrowly missed the first WTC PATH bombing and someone flew a plane into a building that I was supposed to have been in not too long after 9-11. Had an appt to see a lawyer that day not gotten rescheduled I would have likely been killed. I also had a head on incident with an 18 wheeler in 2000 that was just hair raising. I totally thought I was dead. The only thing I could even think at the time was "Oh F-guess this is it then!" LOL

If there are such things my guardian angels have been working OT my whole life I think starting with the day I was born. I was born way too early, and there were blood factor issues and other issues besides. I ended up in an incubator and they said I would never live. Told my Mom and Dad to prepare for the worst but hey, here I am typing at you all.

It would piss me off to lose a lens, particularly if I ended up accidentally killing someone and getting charged with manslaughter for that but it would be far more likely that "I" would go flying off the Eiffel Tower than any gear of mine unless of course it was in my hand and went with me! :P
All due respect, but winning a Darwin-award is - generally - not something one aspires to.....
I'll, respectfully, make a mental note to avoid being in the same airplane as you
07-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

Any damage to the FA77 anyways? Or was it a small drop from the bag? Can't wait to see your pictures!
No it came out as soon as she picked it up, so it just bounced a couple of cm's from above the surface and then rolled into the lip board, and not very hard at that. The construction of the lens, as everyone knows, is world class, so no damage to it, and then because it was in the case it wasn't scratched. Which is great, because I like my silver lens to be clean

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad you are enjoying your well-earned leave, but Paris with you sister!? What kind of soilder are you?
My two sisters

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Damn, here goes my chance to say I caught a Limited falling from the sky...
Seriously, though, that could have been one hell of a horror story. Glad it didn't end way too badly for you (and the 77mm)!
(P.S. Next time you visit the Tour Eiffel, if you happen to have a 31mm with you and your sister tags along, please warn me ).
Honestly I'd be more worried about the person on the ground than the lens. In all seriousness, that could kill someone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I see what you did there!

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Erm... This is a lesson to you.. Please do not use Canon bag for Pentax stuffs... LOL!
Ha!

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Am I the only forum member who's royally upset that you were in Paris without letting us expats pentaxians in Paris know - to give us time to set up a get-together picnic /under/ the Eiffel Tower (to catch what you might be throwing down, of course)?
I forget what the appropriate "temper-tantrum" smiley is.....
Like I said in my other thread (the story about leaving my camera bag on a train), I just recently finished a whirlwind Euro-trip traveling with my sisters (photos are comin - I will need a few weeks because catching up on the past two weeks' worth of work is obviously my priority). The itinerary was Germany (where I am currently living) to London to Dublin to Paris to Barcelona back to Germany. I rightfully deserve that regarding not mentioning my itinerary here, and I apologize because until I got your comment, I regret to say that it never crossed my mind. The several weeks leading up to the initial flight out were incredibly hectic, and while I would have LOVED to meet for lunch, it simply slipped my mind. My most humble apologies as my previous meet-up experience with a PF member was nothing short of fantastic.

-Heie