Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #16

I have four of the DA Limiteds (15,21,40,70) and used to have the 35 Macro. I sold it because I prefer the longer macro (100) and used the 40 more given its size and quicker focus. I have since acquired the FA 31 which is used a lot but the 40 still gets time on my K01.

Given what you have said previously, I suggest the 21 be the first purchase. It is a great walk around lens and you will not be disappointed. If you sell your current 35 (not sure why), consider the 40 followed by the 70. I shoot mostly with primes and take all four when weight is a factor in my backpack.

I do warn you that Limiteds are like candy, it is hard to stop at one.

07-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club.html. I'd suggest the FA 43 if you want sharp. However you said you're lost among the normal-length lenses. If you like the long and tele lenses, it may not be for you. The 77 is pretty close to the length of your 90, and it's more expensive than the other Limiteds you're considering.

I'd still recommend taking a look at the 43 if you're looking for something to replace your 35/2.4.

To qualify my recommendation, I have owned the DA 15 and 40 Limiteds, and I currently own the FA 43 and 77 Limiteds (and will never part with them).
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, Id just like to point out that lenses are much more than just sharpness. Things like max aperture, build; AF speed, focus throw and DoF scales; bokeh, rendering of contrast and colours, will all have a significant role in how good your photos turn out. And this is where the legendary lenses are special. The 55mm f1.4 is great for portraits, but not just because of its sharpness. The DA 21mm is beloved for street photography, but not just because of its sharpness. I think all the limiteds are "sharp enough" for their role, but i cant say if they will meet your standards.
If you want pure sharpness, then macro lenses, with their flat field of focus, low CA and high resolution, are probably your best bet.
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

+1 for the FA 43 because it has sharpness AND bokeh, rendering and contrast.
And it's also the cheapest of the 3 amigos. You should be able to pick up a nice used copy for under $600.

07-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
+1 for the FA 43 because it has sharpness AND bokeh, rendering and contrast.
And it's also the cheapest of the 3 amigos. You should be able to pick up a nice used copy for under $600.
The 43 is also the most finicky and hard to master of the three (I own one). The guy asked about DA Limiteds and said that the 15 is too expensive. The FA limiteds are MORE expensive.

You said wide was the way you wanted to go. Give you have ruled out the 15, the 21 seems the best choice give your own statements. It is, of course, your choice but the 21 is wide, sharp, and a solid performer. I own the 70 and have owned the 40 and on APS-C neither is "wide" by any stretch of the imagination.
07-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, Id just like to point out that lenses are much more than just sharpness. Things like max aperture, build; AF speed, focus throw and DoF scales; bokeh, rendering of contrast and colours, will all have a significant role in how good your photos turn out. And this is where the legendary lenses are special. The 55mm f1.4 is great for portraits, but not just because of its sharpness. The DA 21mm is beloved for street photography, but not just because of its sharpness. I think all the limiteds are "sharp enough" for their role, but i cant say if they will meet your standards.
If you want pure sharpness, then macro lenses, with their flat field of focus, low CA and high resolution, are probably your best bet.
In Aristotelian terminology, sharpness is the matter; all the rest that you mention comprises the formal properties.
I concede that this issue may be viewed differently.

What you say about macro lenses makes sense. Factors such as max aperture and AF speed carry very little weight in my case.
07-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
In Aristotelian terminology,
Ill just throw out the obligatory quote: “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson
Btw, things like lighting can also increase the illusion of sharpness, like if you are using some cleverly placed flashes. Or if you set up the composition in such a way that you have a softer/OoF subject to contrast the in-focus/sharp one. But yes, this has nothing to do with limited lenses lol sorry for straying off topic

07-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
In Aristotelian terminology, sharpness is the matter; all the rest that you mention comprises the formal properties.
I agree. Sharpness has to be the foundation of a great lens. Anything above and beyond that is icing on the cake.
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Given your 90 I'd discourage the 70 in favor of the 35 or 40. The DA40/70 combo that I use is a nice team, both are not just sharp but sharp wide open. They are sharper still at f/4 but plenty good enough at any aperture. I love the concept of the 21 but funds have tightened up, and I have both 16-45 and the SMC-A 24 to keep it away (like garlic for the DA21 budget-vampire ).
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ill just throw out the obligatory quote: “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson
Btw, things like lighting can also increase the illusion of sharpness, like if you are using some cleverly placed flashes. Or if you set up the composition in such a way that you have a softer/OoF subject to contrast the in-focus/sharp one. But yes, this has nothing to do with limited lenses lol sorry for straying off topic
But he still used sharp lenses. This quote is from Wikipedia "With fast black and white films and sharp lenses, he was able to photograph almost by stealth to capture the events"
07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The FA limiteds are MORE expensive.
Not the FA 43. That's one of the reasons I bought it brand new at $584.
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Every lens mentioned here is so sharp as to be indistinguishable from each other on an 8x10 print. All of them. Even up to 11x17 you could not see the difference.

The macros have flat field frame sharpness which comes with their magnification and design but as a result their AF can be painfully slow and their 'character' wide open a little...flat.
07-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Every lens mentioned here is so sharp as to be indistinguishable from each other on an 8x10 print. All of them. Even up to 11x17 you could not see the difference.

The macros have flat field frame sharpness which comes with their magnification and design but as a result their AF can be painfully slow and their 'character' wide open a little...flat.
There has also been several different posters complain on this forum that the DA 35 macro does not take sharp landscape pictures.
07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
There has also been several different posters complain on this forum that the DA 35 macro does not take sharp landscape pictures.
Yeah, the 35/2.8 is a total dog for landscapes, impossible to get anything good out of - I really should ask for my money back:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374103298.642805.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  197.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374103254.752025.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  253.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374103278.129462.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  73.4 KB
07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the field of view of the 21. It is quite sharp at f/5.6 in good light.