Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Photozone numbers are in general statistically meaningless - their tests are usually based on single lens sample measurements and essential data such as confidence limits are never published. Numerology at its best.
As I said, you'll find similar from other sites like ePhotozine, DxO, DPR, LensTips, etc.

Besides, that makes any claim NOT based on empirical testing of any sort, even with a single sample (DPR now requires 3), worse than numerology and more like mythology.

Without tests like this consumers have no information other than manufacturer data, itself edited.

07-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
There has also been several different posters complain on this forum that the DA 35 macro does not take sharp landscape pictures.
I used to have problems with AF-ing DA35 macro at almost-infinity distances with my K10D, but with the K-5, I'm very happy.

A recent landscape shot:

07-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I used to have problems with AF-ing DA35 macro at almost-infinity distances with my K10D, but with the K-5, I'm very happy.

A recent landscape shot:

I've also read on t'Internets that the DA35 macro is absolutely hopeless for shooting anything except dead bugs a few inches away, especially if you don't use a tripod and don't focus manually. 1971 LW/PH at F/8 at Border as measured by Photozone is absolute rubbish, isn't it ?

Seriously though, it would not be my weapon of choice for landscapes, unless stopped down a bit. Then again, any lens will do landscapes if stopped down a bit ...
07-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Seriously though, it would not be my weapon of choice for landscapes, unless stopped down a bit. Then again, any lens will do landscapes if stopped down a bit ...
I don't think you can pick just "any lens" and get the contrast, colors and flare control of the DA35. I usually use it at f/5.6 when shooting landscapes. My DA16-45 was the preferred landscape lens on the recent holiday trip, though, mostly because I usually needed a wide angle (and despite the fact that it's difficult to use in portrait mode @16mm - the wobbly barrel makes it decentered when held in portrait direction!).

07-23-2013, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #80

I don't think you can pick just "any lens" and get the contrast, colors and flare control of the DA35. I usually use it at f/5.6 when shooting landscapes. My DA16-45 was the preferred landscape lens on the recent holiday trip, though, mostly because I usually needed a wide angle (and despite the fact that it's difficult to use in portrait mode @16mm - the wobbly barrel makes it decentered when held in portrait direction!).
When I got my first limited I was blown away with the sharpness it displayed. That was a 70 and have now also got a 40 to keep,it company!
07-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most glasses are at their best stopped down to f/5.6-f/8. I think that this is a rule that we can all agreed on.

A lens stopped down, for the same exposure, will either need a slower shutter, or a higher ISO. If one wants to maintain a low ISO to avoid noise , then one has no other option but to slow down the shutter. A slow shutter introduces the risk of blur (which destroys sharpness), because most people (like me) can't hold a camera steady beyond 1/focal length, so I have to resort to a tripod to remove user-induced blur, to increase my probability of making a sharp image.

Now, if we stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 with the hope of achieving the glass' sweetest spot, will a tripod-mounted shot be sharper than the handheld? I'd say 9 out of 10, yes.

Will every lens be acceptably sharp with a tripod? No, but stopped down, chances are it's still sharper with, than without.

As for cameras being sold welded to a tripod, that will start an entire forum argument as to whether carbon fiber is really better than aluminum or not

Last edited by drypenn; 07-24-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo errors.
07-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Most glasses are at their best stopped down to f/5.6-f/8. I think that this is a rule that we can all agreed on.
I've always heard it was a stop or two closed from wide open. This could put it at 5.6-8 for some lenses.

07-24-2013, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Banned

Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

All DA Ltds are sharp more than enough, but I personally love them because of their abundant personality beyond sharpness.
I really cannot pull one out of the bunch and say "Go for this one" .. Fact is, I want them all! As soon as you get two of them, you begin to to realise their synergy and collective power.

DA21 and DA35 are still on my list. And I'm an avid Pentaxian because of the DA15, DA40 and DA70. Cameras change, but these babies stay forever.

Picture below — DA15 in action

07-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
...can't resist the LBA...

I'll be going to NYC soon, where would be the best place to buy the DA15?
07-25-2013, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

...can't resist the LBA...

I'll be going to NYC soon, where would be the best place to buy the DA15?
I bought mine from Adorama. B&H is another good option while you're there. Both are reputable businesses.

I no longer have the DA 15, but since I liked Uluru's example above so much, here's one of mine from the 15:
07-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

All DA Ltds are sharp more than enough, but I personally love them because of their abundant personality beyond sharpness.
I really cannot pull one out of the bunch and say "Go for this one" .. Fact is, I want them all! As soon as you get two of them, you begin to to realise their synergy and collective power.

DA21 and DA35 are still on my list. And I'm an avid Pentaxian because of the DA15, DA40 and DA70. Cameras change, but these babies stay forever.

Spectacular. Almost feels like it belongs at Le Louvre....well done!

07-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I'd like to see the raw picture. It looks digitally enhanced beyond recognition of the original picture.
07-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #88
Banned

I'd like to see the raw picture. It looks digitally enhanced beyond recognition of the original picture.
This is the original vision and picture made for it. It was meant to be like this.
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #89
Pentaxian

This is the original vision and picture made for it. It was meant to be like this.
You mean its a picture of a picture?
07-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #90
Banned

You mean its a picture of a picture?
I wanted picture to look like this.