Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 2.8/14 vs Lim 4.0/15

Fear colleagues, does it be some significant difference in IQ between two these lenses?

07-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
Fear colleagues, does it be some significant difference in IQ between two these lenses?
I have the DA14, but have not tried the DA15 Limited. Here is my biased assessment:

1. Even though it has a mediocre reputation, I believe the DA14's image quality is on par with the DA Limiteds. I have the DA40 and DA70 for reference. The DA14 has very nice colors and contrast.

2. The DA14 has a larger aperture. I initially though this was useless (I normally stop down when shooting landscapes) but it has come in handy .

3. Don't discount the small size of the DA15. This allows you to bring it along in a pocket just in case. The DA14 is large, and thus I only bring it when I am specifically going to shoot with it.

4. Also, from the pics I have seen, the DA15 has amazing flare resistance. This is very important for a wide angle lens. The sun can ruin a lot of pictures.

5. The DA14 focusses very close. This can give you some unusual perspectives.

I hope this helps.
07-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Considering these two lenses, you should also look at the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

For a lot less in price you get a spectacular lens. It is manual focus but for normal use, set it to F5.6 or F8 and your DOF is from 2m to infinity with no need to focus. Also it is very sharp wide open at F2.8.
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
I have the DA14, but have not tried the DA15 Limited. Here is my biased assessment:

1. Even though it has a mediocre reputation, I believe the DA14's image quality is on par with the DA Limiteds. I have the DA40 and DA70 for reference. The DA14 has very nice colors and contrast.

2. The DA14 has a larger aperture. I initially though this was useless (I normally stop down when shooting landscapes) but it has come in handy .

3. Don't discount the small size of the DA15. This allows you to bring it along in a pocket just in case. The DA14 is large, and thus I only bring it when I am specifically going to shoot with it.

4. Also, from the pics I have seen, the DA15 has amazing flare resistance. This is very important for a wide angle lens. The sun can ruin a lot of pictures.

5. The DA14 focusses very close. This can give you some unusual perspectives.

I hope this helps.
Thank you!

07-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. If you want to take close pictures of stuff with a WA, go with the 14/2.8. If you want super good landscapes with minimal distortion (and really nice contrast), the DA15 is your baby. Having owned both, I'd go with the DA15 in most situations.
07-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Considering these two lenses, you should also look at the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

For a lot less in price you get a spectacular lens. It is manual focus but for normal use, set it to F5.6 or F8 and your DOF is from 2m to infinity with no need to focus. Also it is very sharp wide open at F2.8.
Thanks also!
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

While the DA14 gets little love, I've found it to be a very good lens and when I need that f2.8 it's there to use. If you discount the larger size and weight of the DA14, the only real drawback to it is that it only has 6 blades. The DA15 is a truly amazing lens with special pixey dust in the lens making each picture better (or so it seams). It has 9 blades and produces amazing starbursts. I have both of these at the moment but have begun to realize that the DA15 is really what I want and may sell the DA14 as I have way to many UWA lenses at the moment. All of that said, I like them both.

@Shamwow above, I concur with your comments.

Edit: The way I look at it is that the DA14 gets me UWA indoors and the DA15 doesn't as well. Outdoors, the DA15's coatings and color rendering are superior to the DA14.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 07-18-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: second thought I wanted to share
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
Yes. If you want to take close pictures of stuff with a WA, go with the 14/2.8. If you want super good landscapes with minimal distortion (and really nice contrast), the DA15 is your baby. Having owned both, I'd go with the DA15 in most situations.
O! This very interesting opinion. Do you say the 4.0/15 is outperformed 2.8/14 for the landscapes? What is about ghost and flare control in both of these lenses?

07-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The DA15 has less field curvature than the DA14, so landscapes tend to focus better for having sharpness across the frame.

I didn't notice anything specifically different about flare and ghost control - the DA15 keeps it's contrast better in direct sunlight and the built-in hood is way too convenient. But both of them perform pretty well in situations where flare would be a concern.

Also, the color cast on the DA14 is a bit cooler in my recollection than the DA15. Also, I find the DA15 renders colors more vibrantly than the DA14.