Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax Lens Prices?

I know there has more than likely been discussion on this topic before... but generally speaking I have steered clear of oogling lenses online...mainly because once I oogle I will buy.

That said, I am very satisfied with my lenses...all the DA Limited primes, except the 35mm. While I have been off the LBA buying train for a while now, I have thought seriously that I want to plug that hole in between my 21mm and my 40mm... and the prime candidate is the 31mm.

Yet, when I look back at some links I book marked the prices for the lens brand new were under $1000 bucks.. but now everywhere I look it's almost $1300. What gives? Before the standard every day price was $989 and now it's $1296.

What's with the $300 increase?

I would like to buy one of these at some point (new if I can) but if they are gonna act like that, I can wait or do without, or I will buy a used one in good condition instead of putting up with some arbitrary price increase.

07-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check out this used "deal" for $820 on the fa 31 from B&H:
Used Pentax smc Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) 20290 B&H

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/230445-31mm-limited-used-bh-819-95-a.html
07-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Although you could plug that gap with the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom!! $799
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Although you could plug that gap with the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom!! $799
I've thought about that zoom to be honest. It's a possibility...I will hold off judgement on that one until it hits the hands of consumers...

The 31 though looks like a little gem. I migrated over to shooting exclusively primes a while back and now I am hooked on STELLAR glass. The 31 seems like its been tried and proven. Once I get ready to pull the trigger I will start hunting a little more seriously...

On my want list is a second camera body as well. I need to prioritize and more importantly practice with what I have I think the second body would come in more handy for me at this specific time... but the 31 sure looks nice.

My main question is though WHY is their pricing all over the place now? (I haven't lens shopped in quite some time).

07-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last year Pentax instituted a pricing policy in the US. It was to even out pricing to get Pentax gear in big box stores and even out the discrepancy between online retailers and local camera stores.

The pricing that you see online should be decently even for new gear now. If you buy a new camera and lens together there are sometimes rebates to help with the price changes. Most people wanting to buy new lenses will give a call to B&H or Adorama and get a price over e phone. It is often better than the advertised price online.

Of course, if you are going used, the marketplace here is great. I bought all of my FA Limiteds from the marketplace.
07-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Last year Pentax instituted a pricing policy in the US. It was to even out pricing to get Pentax gear in big box stores and even out the discrepancy between online retailers and local camera stores.

The pricing that you see online should be decently even for new gear now. If you buy a new camera and lens together there are sometimes rebates to help with the price changes. Most people wanting to buy new lenses will give a call to B&H or Adorama and get a price over e phone. It is often better than the advertised price online.

Of course, if you are going used, the marketplace here is great. I bought all of my FA Limiteds from the marketplace.
I will probably go used more than likely but for now I am pondering on the idea of a second K-5 body or whatever... as well as the 31. I might just get a second old stock K-5 which is what I have now, or I could upgrade to two IIs models

My wants and needs are not coordinated right now

I would most likely get more use out of a second body at present... but I also need to place myself in more places that will allow me to do what I want to do (IE street photography) but where I am now, we have no streets. Unless you count dirt roads. But that's not what I mean.

Having two bodies with different focal lengths can make life easier than switching lenses. Makes things faster and more at the hip. I have previously missed otherwise good split second shots because my right stuff wasn't where it needed to be...
07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I filled that gap with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Available used for around $350. It's not as nice as the 31, but the difference isn't $1000 better.

07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Having two bodies with different focal lengths can make life easier than switching lenses. Makes things faster and more at the hip. I have previously missed otherwise good split second shots because my right stuff wasn't where it needed to be...
I can't recommend shooting with two bodies enough. Previously I had tried to shoot with both the K5 and the K20 together, but found myself always going to the K5. With a K5 and IIs combo I can go from camera to camera without missing a beat.
07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I filled that gap with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Available used for around $350. It's not as nice as the 31, but the difference isn't $1000 better.
Same here. Mine was $349 new around Xmas, and they went as low as $299 at the end a month or two later.

However, the OP might as well get the 31 or he will forever second guess his choice.
07-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Another "poor man's" FA 31/1.8 is the Sigma 28/1.8 EX.

Have a look at these product shots of an FA 50/1.4 that were done with the Sigma. The latter is very versatile as it has very good close focusing abilities.

Incidentally, the used FA 50/1.4 being offered for $315 was available for $199 new about five years ago.
07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sad reality: Prices in the past are only useful for time travelers. All you can do is decide if today's price is worth it.
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The sad reality: Prices in the past are only useful for time travelers. All you can do is decide if today's price is worth it.
So true. All the old prices are good for are making people sad.

As for bridging that gap, I've got the Sigma 30mm, and I don't regret not having the 31 Ltd one bit. It's my favorite lens of all time. In case you want to know why...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/231724-pets-prize.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/228277-pets-shot-foot.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/228383-landscape-hike-south-mountain.html
07-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I always wondered if there is a place where we can see the original prices of all these old Pentax lenses dated back to even Takumar era?

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 07-24-2013 at 09:42 AM.