Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Do Weather Resistant Lenses also prevent dust

So as I am new to SLR lenses and have been looking at used lenses for sale I've wondered how dust was getting into peoples lenses outside of the manufacturing process. Recently I've been reading some people commenting on zoom lenses getting dust in them after doing lots of zooming in and out.
So, my question is, do weather resistant lenses prevent dust from getting into the lenses just as they would prevent water from getting in?
I'm not sure on the architecture of these WR lenses and so I'm just trying to understand all the benefits they provide. Seems like this would be a big benefit.
What other ways does dust find its way into lenses other than through zooming and focussing. I'm assuming Internal Focus lenses would have less problems in this regard also.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Brian

07-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On zoom lenses each time you zoom air moves in or out. If it did not you would not be able to zoom. So in a dusty environment, yes dust goes in and often stays in. WR lenses are supposed to be 'resistant' to this but not 'proof', so it is still possible to get dust in the lens although less likely than in a non-WR lens. Dust in a zoom lens is essentially inevitable, it will happen eventually. And generally it is not a big problem or even noticeable in images.
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What jatrax said...

And yes WR does help prevent dust from getting into the lens tremendously. I used to have the 55-300mm. After about 1 year of hiking with it, some small amount of dusts got into it even though I tend to wipe the barrel before zooming back in. After I bought 15-135mm WR and have been using it for 3 years, I can't see even a spec of new dust in the lens besides the ones it came with from the manufacture.
07-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's easier to screen the dust particles than the capillary action of liquid.

The bellows action of the older trombone-like, one-touch zooms were notorious vacuums cleaners. It's not unusual to find one (that actually saw field use) that has its own little internal micro-environment suitable for a high school science lab project.

H2

07-19-2013, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My new 18-135mm WR came with dust preinstalled!
07-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I just wish the 18-135 WR and 50-200WR were higher rated lenses now.
07-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by herp photos Quote
I just wish the 18-135 WR and 50-200WR were higher rated lenses now.
Everything is a compromise. We could wish for a '10' rated DA*18-135 f/2.8 but we could not afford it or want to carry it if we could. I've no experience with the 50-200WR but the DA18-135 is an excellent consumer lens. Big step up from the 18-55 in IQ. Compared to DA*16-50, no it is not that good but within it's capabilities it is an excellent lens. You have to take the 'ratings' with a little skepticism, what is the rater comparing something to? FA 28-90 vs 18-135? Wow the 18-135 is amazing. FA 31mm vs 18-135? Boy that 18-135 is junk....
07-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I read an interesting article in Shutterbug a few years ago. They interviewed several pro photographers who travel the world on the subject of WR cameras and lenses and the all mention dust as the worse enemy to their gear. WR lenses are sealed to help keep dust out. With a little common sense care, you can keep water out of any lens but dust is everywhere. Here in Upstate NY, it's not a big problem but if I lived in a drier climate prone to dust, I would consider the WR lenses. In the article, they all mentioned their weather sealed Nikon and Canon gear needing repair after several weeks of shooting in middle eastern deserts. The dust can wear away the seals over time but non sealed lenses can be damaged beyond a reasonable repair cost.