Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Older K and M mounts

On ebay there are a lot of old 50mm f1.4 to f2 for $25-$60. I know it is not a large investment but I was wondering how the metering and functions would work on my K100D. I know I would have to manually focus (I dont mind), but do I need to adjust the apature on my own or will the cam take care of that? Thanks for your help in advance.

here is a link to what I am talking about
good ol eBay

03-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

You need to adjust the aperture on your own. On the K10D there is an option to allow control from the aperture ring (not sure about the K100D). Otherwise, the camera will freak out and won't let you use the lens.
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #3

The link wasn't completely working for me, but I think you were linking to this lens?

PENTAX - A SMC 50mm 1:2 FOR FILM OR DIGITAL CAMERAS - (eBay.ca item 190207198310 end time 21-Mar-08 19:30:54 EDT)

And with the "A" designation you will not notice much difference between it and your more modern autofocus lenses except you will do the focusing yourself. The aperture can still be changed from the camera (when the lens is set to "A"), the metering should be good even with flash, and there are no extra steps with the green button or anything.

With the older "K" and "M" lenses though, you will need to make the accomodations to which Aphehaus refers.
03-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

with the 1xxd bodies, you need to go into the custom menu, and select 'using aperture ring' to 2 permitted. then, when you mount the lens, if it is an A lens, put the aperture indicator to the A markation on the lens, and you can control aperture through the camera. if it is an M lens, or you want to manually control an A lens, the camera must be in M mode. set a shutter speed, turn your preview to optical in the custom menu, and when you want to meter a scene, you must hold the camera in the optical preview mode, and you can then turn the aperture ring to adjust exposure. the meter at the bottom right hand side will show you in 1/2 or 1/3rd stops how far from 0.0 you are.

03-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Note:

The A lenses can be used with flash without much fuss.

To use a flash with the M series lenses you have to nab a flash table and read distance to subject & manually adjust the lens aperture accordingly.

I just got an A series 50 f1.7 lens today. WOW! Just WOW! Sharpness compared to the kit lens is just flat AMAZING!

Already had a 50mm f2 lens that came with my old K1000 that I enjoyed a LOT. Great pictures with that old beauty. The 1.7 'A' is even better. I've also got a 35mm f3.5 screw mount lens on the way too. This is gonna be FUN!!
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding M series and other non-KA lenses (no A setting on aperture ring)...manual exposure is often unpredictable. My experience is that the meter on the K10D is generally accurate at moderate f-stops (about f/5.6), but may significantly over-expose (2+ stops) at the extremes of the aperture ranges. The best approaches are:

a. use a hand-held meter

-- or --

b. use the internal meter at f/5.6 and manually calculate the shutter speed for other apertures

-- or --

c. meter at the desired aperture, evaluate the histogram, and adjust the shutter speed to suit

With screw-mount lenses, the metering is a LOT more direct. You use aperture priority automation with the lens set in manual mode. Focus at maximum aperture and stop down to shoot.
03-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In my experience, my K110D < basically the same as the K100D > meters MUCH better with "M" lenses than my K10D, just set your desired aperture, and hit the "AE-L" button to stop down meter with M lenses..It will set your shutter speed for you.

Here is an example with a fully manual RMC Tokina 28MM lens on my K110D

03-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
In my experience, my K110D < basically the same as the K100D > meters MUCH better with "M" lenses than my K10D, just set your desired aperture, and hit the "AE-L" button to stop down meter with M lenses..It will set your shutter speed for you.
i think this is a very common assertion, although i have noticed sometimes the metering is not as accurate as i would like ... kinda glad i have the K100D too because manual lenses are a lot of fun to use, they're like limiteds in their build quality, and very good optically too

03-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i think this is a very common assertion, although i have noticed sometimes the metering is not as accurate as i would like ... kinda glad i have the K100D too because manual lenses are a lot of fun to use, they're like limiteds in their build quality, and very good optically too
To check the metering on the K10D, take a series of exposures based on metering wide open, 1 stop closed, two stops closed and three stops closed. On my two lenses, wide open is overexposed, the other three are good. What I do is stop down, meter and set the exposure with the indicator, then adjust from there to what I need - smaller aperture, slower shutter speed, etc.