Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

High Humidity and Non-WR Lenses

Living in southern california my entire life, I never really thought about the effects of humidity and camera gear, since it is dry 90% of the time.
But here in St Louis, the humidity can be god awful What is the recommended practice for shooting in high humidity with non-WR lenses? Or is it not recommended when the humidity gets real high?
TIA

07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there's a big issue, but before you store a lens or camera in a bag you probably should make sure you let it dry in a cool environment or invest in some dessicants for your storage bags.

And remember when moving from A/C to hot and humid you'll need to let the camera equilibrate! I forgot a couple weeks back and couldn't figure out why my camera wasn't focusing until I looked at the front element, all fogged up.
07-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually I think that when it comes constant use in humid climate, as living in one, WR isn't going to make that huge of difference. Humidity will get inside the lens with the air, no matter if WR or not, but the time for the air inside the lens to get acclimatized to the air outside it will be prolonged with a WR lens with internal zooming and internal focusing. Though that extra time could be helpful if stored in a drybox or similar most of the time as the air inside the lens won't have the time to get humid.

Correct me it I'm wrong guys?
07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I store my lenses on a shelf where they get good air circulation and light. Keeping them in a bag or closed box for long periods of time is flirting with danger unless you have a fair amount of silica gel dessicant inside.