Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lens heresy

So far I'm not digging the 31ltd. Heresy I know, but it just isn't popping for me. I dearly love the 77ltd and that is a total keeper. But I think the 31 will go back. I might go for the 35ltd macro instead, as that would kill two birds with one lens. So to speak. As it were.

Part of it seems to be AF-related. I get a tad better images manually focusing. I could use the K20's focus adjust for the lens, but I'm also not really "seeing" what I want with it. If it had quick shift it would make it easier to live with as well, but it doesn't. The 77 by comparison is spot-on, as are the zooms.

On a positive note, the 50-135* is an incredibly contrasty lens (especially for a zoom) and the 16-45 is under-rated imho. And the 77 is just magic...to me.

03-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Among very good to excellent lens which on you like is just that, the one you like. I have the 31 and 77 limited as well, but like the 31 more than the 77, only because I tend to shoot wide. Knowing myself however I'll probably keep both because I could sell either one later for a pretty good price. Just me.
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ugh... I want both!
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmmm.... Have you thought about sending your camera in for a check up? I sent my K10D back because of a back-focus issue. I bought a *istDL for a backup and the 31 is phenominal and phantastic! :-) Anyway... I sent a Pentax 14mm lens back, and it turned out to be my camera.

Bottom line: the 31mm is very, very, very sharp!!! (after you have a camera that will focus!)

edit: The problem I had showed up only on 35mm and shorter lenses - fixed (prime) only!

Last edited by TomInJax; 03-20-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clarification
03-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #5

I had much the same impression as you did; the FA77 really popped as compared to the FA31. Then I found my K10D has a front focus issue with the FA31 (I'm pretty sure; confirmed with shooting a focus chart). I've been playing with selecting a closer focus point, and I'm getting much better results, but I need to shoot more before I can say for certain.
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
I had much the same impression as you did; the FA77 really popped as compared to the FA31. Then I found my K10D has a front focus issue with the FA31 (I'm pretty sure; confirmed with shooting a focus chart). I've been playing with selecting a closer focus point, and I'm getting much better results, but I need to shoot more before I can say for certain.
I don't know about you, but I cannot manually focus the 31 that accurately! It is tough. Especially for old eyes like mine.
03-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've done a lot of testing with it today, and have gone back and forth between the 31, 77, 16-45 and 50-135. The bottom line is that AF is unacceptable with the 31. It is fine with the other lenses. If I run the 31 manual I can get a decent image, but like TomInJax my eyes aren't getting any younger either (even though I'm 20-20). I tried doing the focus adjust in the K20d and it really didn't solve it.

If I get good AF with 3 lenses and not with this one, I don't think I can blame the body (but I always can blame the pilot). It's going back. I shouldn't have to work that hard to get a decent image. But as I said above, this back-to-back does show me how good the two zooms are. I really want to find an excuse to exchange the 16-45 for a 16-50* but I can't...I consistently get good sharp images with the 16-45. Plus the devil you know...

I'm still totally smitten with the 77. Beautiful stuff, and I'm actually shooting decent portraits which have always been a weakness of mine.

Next, to solve my macro issue. Gotta have one for abstract. Going to shoot a 50 and 100 at the store and see which one speaks to me. But I'm still thinking that I'm going to pick up a 35ltd macro. So if I do that, the 100 macro seems to make more sense.

LBA while trying to stay down to like 4 or 5 lenses. Tough...

03-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If I get good AF with 3 lenses and not with this one, I don't think I can blame the body (but I always can blame the pilot). It's going back.

Next, to solve my macro issue. Gotta have one for abstract. Going to shoot a 50 and 100 at the store and see which one speaks to me. But I'm still thinking that I'm going to pick up a 35ltd macro. So if I do that, the 100 macro seems to make more sense.

LBA while trying to stay down to like 4 or 5 lenses. Tough...
Depending on what/where you shoot the FA31 could prove very useful with its extra stop and shorter focal length. You won't try for another sample?

As for your macro, I can tell right now that not having the Voigtlander SL 125 is going to bother you to no end... might as well start hunting it down now.