Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Tested K-5 w/ my current lenses. Next steps..

SO if you read my previous post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/231563-k-5-just-arrived.html), I just received by k-5 last week and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

I have been given a new venture in my office. We specialize in restoration architecture, mainly exterior but some interior also. I am the resident photog, and have been enlisted to start documenting the before during and after photos of projects we are and will be doing. I don't mind it as I would like more experience with this type of photography plus I can travel the city shooting.

My first task was yesterday, somewhat short notice but I went with what I had. A late 1800s ornate corner building in Manhattan which we recently completed the restoration for. I have to say my K-5 performed amazingly. All the new features over the K-r were nice. Didn't miss a step. Felt good using it.

My bag looked like this:
K-5 (main)
K-r (back-up)
M50mm 1.4
F70-210 4-5.6
tam 17-50 2.8
tam 55-300mm (didn't use)
tam 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
Manfrotto tripod

Process:
Manual
2sec shutter release
iso @ 80
raw +
tripod use for all shots

Tamron 10-24:
I was not happy at all at the performance of this lens. My 1st attempt was somewhat successful with this lens for interior real estate. Worked well enough with long exposures. But the 2nd (automotive) and now 3rd (architectural) try, I just cannot seem to get it to take sharp photos outside. Still questioning keeping this lens. My wide angle shots suffered a great deal not getting this to shoot properly. This was in addition to the corrections I knew I'd have to do in PP.

Tamron 17-50:
Worked well but wasn't wide enough for the whole building but wasn't long enough for close-ups. This usually is my work horse lens but for this application it wasn't used much.

M50:
Suberb quality with 50 but wasn't wide enough or long enough to really use. I made some errors on my part and photos were not focused correctly.

F70-210:
This surprisingly produced the sharpest photos. Obviously this was what I used for close-up detail shots but I am pleased with these very much. I was going to sell this off but I won't do such a thing until I get a suitable replacement.

Tamron 55-300:
I was skeptical on the performance of this lens so I did not even take it out. My previous experience was not the best when I have used this for documenting various damaged facades hand held. I now know I should have at least attempted a few shots with this.

Manfrotto tripod:
This was a cheap(er) tripod I bought on a whim. I am glad I had it but it didn't allow me angle up enough to shoot the cornice. I need a "real" tripod. I will be on the look for one soon.

Bottomline:
I am looking to replace my tamron 10-24 with a sigma 8-16mm or a 15mm ltd. Leaning on the 15 ltd. Also a better zoom for close-up details like da* 50-135mm. I will need to revamp some of my gear if I am doing it often but a start will be lenses and a new tripod. Learned alot yesterday and hope to have my photo skills improve as I do more shooting.

COMMENTS? ADVICE?

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE SEEN HERE: 907 Broadway - a set on Flickr

A FEW PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
07-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Mmm. I have no problems with my tamron 10-24. I did notice that you used F13 for the shot above with the 10-24. That may cause some loss of sharpness due to diffraction.
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be worth sending the Tamron in for inspection.

Interesting work, and well-worth documenting - particularly for your company's own marketing purposes.
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
SO if you read my previous post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/231563-k-5-just-arrived.html), I just received by k-5 last week and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

I have been given a new venture in my office. We specialize in restoration architecture, mainly exterior but some interior also. I am the resident photog, and have been enlisted to start documenting the before during and after photos of projects we are and will be doing. I don't mind it as I would like more experience with this type of photography plus I can travel the city shooting.

My first task was yesterday, somewhat short notice but I went with what I had. A late 1800s ornate corner building in Manhattan which we recently completed the restoration for. I have to say my K-5 performed amazingly. All the new features over the K-r were nice. Didn't miss a step. Felt good using it.

My bag looked like this:
K-5 (main)
K-r (back-up)
M50mm 1.4
F70-210 4-5.6
tam 17-50 2.8
tam 55-300mm (didn't use)
tam 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
Manfrotto tripod

Process:
Manual
2sec shutter release
iso @ 80
raw +
tripod use for all shots

Tamron 10-24:
I was not happy at all at the performance of this lens. My 1st attempt was somewhat successful with this lens for interior real estate. Worked well enough with long exposures. But the 2nd (automotive) and now 3rd (architectural) try, I just cannot seem to get it to take sharp photos outside. Still questioning keeping this lens. My wide angle shots suffered a great deal not getting this to shoot properly. This was in addition to the corrections I knew I'd have to do in PP.

Tamron 17-50:
Worked well but wasn't wide enough for the whole building but wasn't long enough for close-ups. This usually is my work horse lens but for this application it wasn't used much.

M50:
Suberb quality with 50 but wasn't wide enough or long enough to really use. I made some errors on my part and photos were not focused correctly.

F70-210:
This surprisingly produced the sharpest photos. Obviously this was what I used for close-up detail shots but I am pleased with these very much. I was going to sell this off but I won't do such a thing until I get a suitable replacement.

Tamron 55-300:
I was skeptical on the performance of this lens so I did not even take it out. My previous experience was not the best when I have used this for documenting various damaged facades hand held. I now know I should have at least attempted a few shots with this.

Manfrotto tripod:
This was a cheap(er) tripod I bought on a whim. I am glad I had it but it didn't allow me angle up enough to shoot the cornice. I need a "real" tripod. I will be on the look for one soon.

Bottomline:
I am looking to replace my tamron 10-24 with a sigma 8-16mm or a 15mm ltd. Leaning on the 15 ltd. Also a better zoom for close-up details like da* 50-135mm. I will need to revamp some of my gear if I am doing it often but a start will be lenses and a new tripod. Learned alot yesterday and hope to have my photo skills improve as I do more shooting.

COMMENTS? ADVICE?

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE SEEN HERE: 907 Broadway - a set on Flickr

A FEW PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED:
sounds like a fun job!!!

07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schj Quote
Mmm. I have no problems with my tamron 10-24. I did notice that you used F13 for the shot above with the 10-24. That may cause some loss of sharpness due to diffraction.
I did several at f8, f11 and f13. Those weren't much better. The depth of field is necessary tho. Idk.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It may be worth sending the Tamron in for inspection.

Interesting work, and well-worth documenting - particularly for your company's own marketing purposes.
Yup. We do alot of highend buildings in and around city. Some built, as far back like this one, in the 1860-1900.

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
sounds like a fun job!!!
Yup. It has it's pros and cons. Photo work in addition to my architectural projects I design & manage. Makes for a fun-filled day for sure!
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow, my 10-24 has served me well. Id see if you could try another copy and check your results
07-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
"I did several at f8, f11 and f13. Those weren't much better. The depth of field is necessary tho. Idk."

Ok, Sounds weird. May indeed be a problem with the lens.... Would be shame, as it is really a very useful lens for this kind of work.. Maybe try to get it exchanged for another copy,

07-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
It seems to be the lens that is at fault (correct me if I am wrong), then I am leaning on getting a 15mm ltd. I figure the IQ will be better even VS a great copy of a tamron 10-24. Agree?

I know I will loose the 10-14 range tho which could be critical.