Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Tested K-5 w/ my current lenses. Next steps..

SO if you read my previous post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/231563-k-5-just-arrived.html), I just received by k-5 last week and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

I have been given a new venture in my office. We specialize in restoration architecture, mainly exterior but some interior also. I am the resident photog, and have been enlisted to start documenting the before during and after photos of projects we are and will be doing. I don't mind it as I would like more experience with this type of photography plus I can travel the city shooting.

My first task was yesterday, somewhat short notice but I went with what I had. A late 1800s ornate corner building in Manhattan which we recently completed the restoration for. I have to say my K-5 performed amazingly. All the new features over the K-r were nice. Didn't miss a step. Felt good using it.

My bag looked like this:
K-5 (main)
K-r (back-up)
M50mm 1.4
F70-210 4-5.6
tam 17-50 2.8
tam 55-300mm (didn't use)
tam 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
Manfrotto tripod

Process:
Manual
2sec shutter release
iso @ 80
raw +
tripod use for all shots

Tamron 10-24:
I was not happy at all at the performance of this lens. My 1st attempt was somewhat successful with this lens for interior real estate. Worked well enough with long exposures. But the 2nd (automotive) and now 3rd (architectural) try, I just cannot seem to get it to take sharp photos outside. Still questioning keeping this lens. My wide angle shots suffered a great deal not getting this to shoot properly. This was in addition to the corrections I knew I'd have to do in PP.

Tamron 17-50:
Worked well but wasn't wide enough for the whole building but wasn't long enough for close-ups. This usually is my work horse lens but for this application it wasn't used much.

M50:
Suberb quality with 50 but wasn't wide enough or long enough to really use. I made some errors on my part and photos were not focused correctly.

F70-210:
This surprisingly produced the sharpest photos. Obviously this was what I used for close-up detail shots but I am pleased with these very much. I was going to sell this off but I won't do such a thing until I get a suitable replacement.

Tamron 55-300:
I was skeptical on the performance of this lens so I did not even take it out. My previous experience was not the best when I have used this for documenting various damaged facades hand held. I now know I should have at least attempted a few shots with this.

Manfrotto tripod:
This was a cheap(er) tripod I bought on a whim. I am glad I had it but it didn't allow me angle up enough to shoot the cornice. I need a "real" tripod. I will be on the look for one soon.

Bottomline:
I am looking to replace my tamron 10-24 with a sigma 8-16mm or a 15mm ltd. Leaning on the 15 ltd. Also a better zoom for close-up details like da* 50-135mm. I will need to revamp some of my gear if I am doing it often but a start will be lenses and a new tripod. Learned alot yesterday and hope to have my photo skills improve as I do more shooting.

COMMENTS? ADVICE?

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE SEEN HERE: 907 Broadway - a set on Flickr

A FEW PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
07-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
Mmm. I have no problems with my tamron 10-24. I did notice that you used F13 for the shot above with the 10-24. That may cause some loss of sharpness due to diffraction.
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
It may be worth sending the Tamron in for inspection.

Interesting work, and well-worth documenting - particularly for your company's own marketing purposes.
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,627
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
SO if you read my previous post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/231563-k-5-just-arrived.html), I just received by k-5 last week and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

I have been given a new venture in my office. We specialize in restoration architecture, mainly exterior but some interior also. I am the resident photog, and have been enlisted to start documenting the before during and after photos of projects we are and will be doing. I don't mind it as I would like more experience with this type of photography plus I can travel the city shooting.

My first task was yesterday, somewhat short notice but I went with what I had. A late 1800s ornate corner building in Manhattan which we recently completed the restoration for. I have to say my K-5 performed amazingly. All the new features over the K-r were nice. Didn't miss a step. Felt good using it.

My bag looked like this:
K-5 (main)
K-r (back-up)
M50mm 1.4
F70-210 4-5.6
tam 17-50 2.8
tam 55-300mm (didn't use)
tam 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
Manfrotto tripod

Process:
Manual
2sec shutter release
iso @ 80
raw +
tripod use for all shots

Tamron 10-24:
I was not happy at all at the performance of this lens. My 1st attempt was somewhat successful with this lens for interior real estate. Worked well enough with long exposures. But the 2nd (automotive) and now 3rd (architectural) try, I just cannot seem to get it to take sharp photos outside. Still questioning keeping this lens. My wide angle shots suffered a great deal not getting this to shoot properly. This was in addition to the corrections I knew I'd have to do in PP.

Tamron 17-50:
Worked well but wasn't wide enough for the whole building but wasn't long enough for close-ups. This usually is my work horse lens but for this application it wasn't used much.

M50:
Suberb quality with 50 but wasn't wide enough or long enough to really use. I made some errors on my part and photos were not focused correctly.

F70-210:
This surprisingly produced the sharpest photos. Obviously this was what I used for close-up detail shots but I am pleased with these very much. I was going to sell this off but I won't do such a thing until I get a suitable replacement.

Tamron 55-300:
I was skeptical on the performance of this lens so I did not even take it out. My previous experience was not the best when I have used this for documenting various damaged facades hand held. I now know I should have at least attempted a few shots with this.

Manfrotto tripod:
This was a cheap(er) tripod I bought on a whim. I am glad I had it but it didn't allow me angle up enough to shoot the cornice. I need a "real" tripod. I will be on the look for one soon.

Bottomline:
I am looking to replace my tamron 10-24 with a sigma 8-16mm or a 15mm ltd. Leaning on the 15 ltd. Also a better zoom for close-up details like da* 50-135mm. I will need to revamp some of my gear if I am doing it often but a start will be lenses and a new tripod. Learned alot yesterday and hope to have my photo skills improve as I do more shooting.

COMMENTS? ADVICE?

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE SEEN HERE: 907 Broadway - a set on Flickr

A FEW PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED:
sounds like a fun job!!!

07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schj Quote
Mmm. I have no problems with my tamron 10-24. I did notice that you used F13 for the shot above with the 10-24. That may cause some loss of sharpness due to diffraction.
I did several at f8, f11 and f13. Those weren't much better. The depth of field is necessary tho. Idk.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It may be worth sending the Tamron in for inspection.

Interesting work, and well-worth documenting - particularly for your company's own marketing purposes.
Yup. We do alot of highend buildings in and around city. Some built, as far back like this one, in the 1860-1900.

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
sounds like a fun job!!!
Yup. It has it's pros and cons. Photo work in addition to my architectural projects I design & manage. Makes for a fun-filled day for sure!
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
ebahle's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 180
wow, my 10-24 has served me well. Id see if you could try another copy and check your results
07-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
"I did several at f8, f11 and f13. Those weren't much better. The depth of field is necessary tho. Idk."


Ok, Sounds weird. May indeed be a problem with the lens.... Would be shame, as it is really a very useful lens for this kind of work.. Maybe try to get it exchanged for another copy,
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
jaywes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 235
Original Poster
It seems to be the lens that is at fault (correct me if I am wrong), then I am leaning on getting a 15mm ltd. I figure the IQ will be better even VS a great copy of a tamron 10-24. Agree?

I know I will loose the 10-14 range tho which could be critical.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
angle, close-up, k-5, k-mount, lens, ltd, pentax lens, performance, photos, shots, slr lens, tamron, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current K-mount Full-Frame Lenses ElJamoquio Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 100 02-20-2016 02:22 PM
Current Canon User maybe switching to K-5 IIS 85Civic Welcomes and Introductions 16 04-22-2013 09:56 PM
Pentax K-5 w/ 2 WR lenses + 3-year warranty = $999 Adam Pentax Price Watch 22 03-12-2013 08:01 AM
Nature Walk in the woods (K-5 first steps) newmikey Post Your Photos! 5 11-19-2011 09:11 PM
The new K-5 is out but my current camera isn't ready for scrap heap yet! johnmflores Photographic Technique 24 10-21-2010 08:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top