Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really want to get a grip on how the lens is really performing, you need to take the time to do controlled tests. That means on a static subject (printed target), on a tripod, mirror up and remote release, constant aperture, constant light, and do a series of tests. One thing I can highly recommend is Focus Tune. When I was having issues not being able to figure out if my lenses were off or my camera, it was the only way to truly see what was going on.

As for looking at the uncontrolled tests you have done so far, I would not be satisfied with that and would certainly send it in for calibration - especially if it is under warranty. Without doing that, you are always going to wonder if the lens is producing the best possible images or not.

07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If you really want to get a grip on how the lens is really performing, you need to take the time to do controlled tests. That means on a static subject (printed target), on a tripod, mirror up and remote release, constant aperture, constant light, and do a series of tests. One thing I can highly recommend is Focus Tune. When I was having issues not being able to figure out if my lenses were off or my camera, it was the only way to truly see what was going on.

As for looking at the uncontrolled tests you have done so far, I would not be satisfied with that and would certainly send it in for calibration - especially if it is under warranty. Without doing that, you are always going to wonder if the lens is producing the best possible images or not.
Thanks - funny you replied, I was just reading your post on FocusTune last night! I just feel like at 5 times the price, it's not even as crisp as my DA 50-200 WR. I attributed this to the weight at first, but after mounting to a tripod in decent light for the test shots, thought this lens could be a waste if I need a tripod for every shot. Most of the things I hope to photograph (wildlife on hikes), I probably won't have time to set up a tripod before it's gone!

I will give CRIS a call today. I should probably send in the K-30 body with it...I would be sad to miss out on some photo ops and have only iPhone/P&S photos to keep, but I think it's probably a good idea in the long run.
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For comparison sake, take a look at these few pics (click on the thumbnail) - all but one of these shots were taken with a K-5 w/DA* 60-250 through a double pane window.......maybe these will help you decide to send your in and get it shooting right.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
08-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I ended up doing proper focus tests using a focusing chart, tripod and bright, consistent indoor light. Turns out I was right, I could almost correct it to the right setting (+10) but not quite. Plus it still had the sharpness problem.

I sent it to CRIS along with the camera itself (just to have cleaned/zeroed in) on Tuesday, with a note about the problem above and that it wasn't as sharp as my 50-200. We will see what they say!

Hopefully, I'll get it back soon. I totally blanked that next weekend was my son's baptism so I guess we'll just have P&S photos of it :/

I even had a cool new Metz 52AF that I wanted to try out

08-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Holy CRIS!

So I just called CRIS, since I hadn't heard anything since they received my lens/camera on 8/1 - no tracking, customer number anything. They said my camera and lens had been shipped back to me last Friday and would be arriving on Wed 8/14 - they said they confirmed under warranty the focus was off on both the lens and camera and corrected both, updating the firmware at the same time

I asked them why they didn't update me and they said they just try to get the warranty stuff in and out as fast as possible and are updating their customer service system.

Either way, a very pleasant surprise and I'm very impressed with CRIS' turnaround time! I was getting sad I potentially wouldn't have my camera and thus use any of my lenses for a long time...
08-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welp, I got my lens/camera back today - haven't had a chance to try out the DA* 60-250 as we had plans tonight, but the K-30 appears to be in good working condition, firmware updated, but it is missing the rubber viewfinder "cup" along with the warranty card I sent in!!! I should've known better and made copies but I was in a rush when I mailed it. I can't believe they would just toss that?! I will have to call them tomorrow to see if they can find my stuff...otherwise I will be on the hunt for a viewfinder thingie soon!! Obviously CRIS, in their haste, is very not detail oriented
09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
CRIS got me a new eyepiece cup and I got a chance to check out the lens - first shot, handheld wide open, cropped to 100% and rotated, but otherwise untouched: