QuoteOriginally posted by stratosk Quote
My choices are

Pentax Smc DA 35mm F/2.8 or
Pentax Smc DA 50mm F1.8

And i think i'm going for the 50mm!

What do you think?
The DA 35/2.8 is an excellent, versatile, and useful lens,
one of my personal favorites,
but it will probably not be available within the budget you set.

As I mentioned before,
the DA 50/1.8 will be a good complement to your kit lens.

08-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #17

LOL, there's already a thread where someone's asking which of those they should get.

I think the general consensus was for the 35/2.4.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233653-choice-...mm-2-4-al.html

If you're budget constrained, have you considered used lenses?

Also, have you thought about manual focus? If you can deal with Manual Focus, you can get some nice used primes REALLY cheap.
If you use Catch In Focus, manual focus isn't bad, either. (Leave the camera set to AF, hold down the shutter button and turn the focus--it will take the picture when the target is in focus).
I would recommend starting out with "A" type lenses, so that the camera can still set aperture, rather than jumping straight to fully manual lenses.

For example, you can get a Sears or Ricoh or Chinon 50mm prime faster than f/2 for less than $50, in excellent condition. On eBay or similar they're often $15-20.

If you get a Ricoh lens (or a Sears lens made for the Ricoh system), watch out for the dreaded "Ricoh Pin", which can cause the lens to get stuck on your camera if you don't do a very easy modification to the lens mount.
08-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Between the two I would go 35mm because a 50 is really too long to be useful for general photography in my opinion. Of course I would still at least grab a cheap 70-300 for the long end. You can get decent Sigma and Tamron ones for sometimes under 100 dollars. Keep the 18-55 kit lens too.
I agree for the 35mm. The funny thing is that a couple of days ago i thought that the normal lens is the 50mm lens and not the 35mm lens like it was used to be in the 35mm film cameras.
And yes, of course i will keep my 18-55

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The DA 35/2.8 is an excellent, versatile, and useful lens,
one of my personal favorites,
but it will probably not be available within the budget you set.

I think that the 35mm
As I mentioned before,
the DA 50/1.8 will be a good complement to your kit lens.
Yes you are right, this is my mistake, i was referring to da 35mm f2.4 which is cheaper than 2.8 limited... My fault!

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
LOL, there's already a thread where someone's asking which of those they should get.

I think the general consensus was for the 35/2.4.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233653-choice-...mm-2-4-al.html

If you're budget constrained, have you considered used lenses?

Also, have you thought about manual focus? If you can deal with Manual Focus, you can get some nice used primes REALLY cheap.
If you use Catch In Focus, manual focus isn't bad, either. (Leave the camera set to AF, hold down the shutter button and turn the focus--it will take the picture when the target is in focus).
I would recommend starting out with "A" type lenses, so that the camera can still set aperture, rather than jumping straight to fully manual lenses.

For example, you can get a Sears or Ricoh or Chinon 50mm prime faster than f/2 for less than $50, in excellent condition. On eBay or similar they're often $15-20.

If you get a Ricoh lens (or a Sears lens made for the Ricoh system), watch out for the dreaded "Ricoh Pin", which can cause the lens to get stuck on your camera if you don't do a very easy modification to the lens mount.
If i can't afford the da 35mm f2.4 or the da 50mm f1.8, i will go for a SMC A 1.7 MF... I think i will find a nice auction with this fine piece...

Last edited by stratosk; 08-12-2013 at 08:06 AM.
08-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll agree with most of the respondents and go with the 35 2.4 and I would suggest for a 50 to get either the A or M series. You can get those rather cheaply and have a lot of fun with with.
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I love my M50 1.7