Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Samyang 10/2.8

Dear Pentaxian,
Not sure if this was already posted. It looks like Samyang is going to launch Samyang 10/2.8 ultra wide angle lens. Will be released in K mount as well. http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=10mm.pdf
Would you consider this as a good alternative to UW zoom lenses available? I personally prefer primes over zooms so it will be interesting to see what images this lens will be able to and fore sure the price of it.
Best regards,
Yuriy

07-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know much about the 10mm but I will definitely consider it once it becomes available. The other Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/Vivitar/etc wide angle 2.8 primes such as the 14mm have good reputations for being sharp wide open.
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a bit strange they will use the same optical design for both DSLR and mirrorless.
So the mirrorless version will be a DSLR lens with built-in "mirrorless adapter", and will not use the advantage of shorter register distance.

IMO 10mm are often too extrem, so I will still prefer my 10-20mm zoom.
07-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
It looks like a very interesting lens. I was going to get Sigma 10-20/3.5 but now I think i will wait for some reviews of this lens.
Also, I was told some time ago by Samyang representative in Poland that 24/3.5 TS will be available in K-mount. Looks like they are doing a really good job recently with introducing new lenses.

07-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's a bit strange they will use the same optical design for both DSLR and mirrorless.
SLR-type retrofocus designs are also useful
for short-register mirrorless cameras,
since they beam the rays straight down into the pixels,
avoiding color shifts, excessive vignetting, and other evils.

Here's what Zeiss say about their mirrorless wide-angle with the unfortunate name
("Distagon" is Zeiss-speak for "retrofocus"):

"Touit 2.8/12 A sophisticated, extreme wide angle lens with the Distagon optics concept. Due to the Distagon design it was possible to build such a compact, extreme wideangle lens by meeting the requirements for optimum ray angles on the camera sensors."

Touit: How an extraordinary family of ZEISS lenses were developed | Camera Lens Blog
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my Tokina 2.8 at the extreme 11mm quite often. If it is close to being as sharp as the Tokina wide open I would be interested in it.
07-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
SLR-type retrofocus designs are also useful
for short-register mirrorless cameras,
since they beam the rays straight down into the pixels,
avoiding color shifts, excessive vignetting, and other evils.

Here's what Zeiss say about their mirrorless wide-angle with the unfortunate name
("Distagon" is Zeiss-speak for "retrofocus"):

"Touit 2.8/12 A sophisticated, extreme wide angle lens with the Distagon optics concept. Due to the Distagon design it was possible to build such a compact, extreme wideangle lens by meeting the requirements for optimum ray angles on the camera sensors."

Touit: How an extraordinary family of ZEISS lenses were developed | Camera Lens Blog
Yes, but if they made a mirrorless optimized retrofocas design, the lens would be smaller and cheaper to produce.
With DSLR design the retrofocus design get more extreme and they need to use much larger front lens element.

The only resaon for using DSLR design on the mirrorless version, is that they did not want to design two versions of the lens.

Had Zeiss used DSLR design on the 12/2.8 lens the lens would have been much larger and more expensive.
07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't get this. Making the lens so large to have the f2.8 while most advantages for such an aperture are with longer lenses. I wouldn't buy such a beast.

07-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't get this. Making the lens so large to have the f2.8 while most advantages for such an aperture are with longer lenses. I wouldn't buy such a beast.
I agree, and for mirrorless it kind of gets absurd as the mirrorless version of the lens is up to 25mm longer and 20-30g heavier than the DSLR version. And if comparing with UWA mirrorless zooms, the difference in size and weight get extreme.

Sony E 10-18/4 - 70 x 64 mm, 225g
Samyang 10/2.8 - 86 x 105 mm, 740g (Sony E version)

Olympus 8-19/4-5.6 - 57 x 50mm, 155g
Samyang 10/2.8 - 86 x 104 mm, 740g (m43 version)
08-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #10

Release seems to have been delayed once more, sadly...

According to http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/news.html, it will now be available some time during 1st quarter of 2014. Bloody shame it has to be such a long wait for what must be a fantastic landscape and astro lens for crop sensors.